What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round 7. Northern light feminised. 250 watt HOR/VERT. U.S.I.U. automised

:artist:

Today I present to you ICMAG users my 7th round starting from octobre 1st 2011! Using feminised Northern ligth seeds for the 3rd time in a row. In yet another attempt to optimise my setup.
In this first post I hope to explain to you all clearly what my goals and plans are to realise my dreams of huge leaf mariuana plants. Hopefully everybody already read some of what I posted earlier this ICMAG-forum. In these posts I revealed the effects I had using positive preasure. Read it at https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213171

Goals;
- A fresh start with new unused soil
- realise an automised climate control with a hygrostate/thermostate.
- A perfect vertical 1 bulb scrog donut. In attempt to save the leafs of scorching.
- Use the positive preasure from start node 4/5 until ~14 days into flower. The period in which I believe this strain is most active in growth.
- Maximum yield of about 1,5 GPW with these seeds. A real score of about 0,78 GPkWh. An improvent of little over 50 % compared to round 6, my previous round.

Plans of setup are devided into subcategories and require some explanation;

- seeds.
Northern Light feminised. 3 or 4 seedlings for flowering in a circle.

- soil, fertilisers and equipment.
100 liter Gold Label special mix, 80 liter of coco-peat, 25 liter of wormcrap and 0,5 liter Guano-Kalong batshit. Handwatered. Using Bac veg and flower fertiliser. The soil is warmed to 24C with a DIY-warming device, connected to a thermo-switch-sensor inserted in the soil. I also GROUND my soil when using this device to guide static electricity away from the plants.

- U.S.I.U. intake-unit device. Air-quality possibilities and psychology.
Ultra Sonic Intake Unit. A plastic 'watertight' box containing a fogger and a watervalve, 300 watt aquariumheating which I barelly used and up to 2 105m3 tube ventilators for active intake. 100mm pipes connect it to the air-in of my tent and a hygro/thermostate will switch the humidifier and heater. This combo is optimised for my 250 watt bulb. I would like to add a 2nd fogger in it and a 3rd 105m3 tubevent to increase it's abilities to cool and humidify.

In the aspect of airquality this device I.M.O. is unique when used as active intake- passive exhaust. Because it enabled me to filter the air of dust and vermin, heat and cool and humidify the air, and it pumps the tent with positive preassure which makes it also difficult for insekts to enter the tent. All functions are applied under full 100 % intake duty off the 2x 105m3 tubevents! To increase positive preasure I simply narrow the exhaust(s) a little more.

The Psychology behind the positive preasure with U.S.I.U. How do leafs increase in size due to positive preasure?

First of all optimal VPD-values can be reached better. But somehow the leafs grew that size that I and others called 'huge'. So why would positive preassure not cause overgrow? This question has got me searching for answers. Where I looked for answers I possibly found one describes below.

Recently I found radar-images of the weather over Europe @ buienradar.nl. These images show weather patterns over time. Under influence of heat and cold the air is dynamic causing winds to blow and clouds to form of the water on the surface. One could notice the High and Low preasure areas and their behaviour. The areas of preasure diffirence also cause a fenomena that can be observed as cloud formations. Clouds drifting over and clouds popping up from nowhere. Why do clouds pop-up from the surface like that?

One who compares the radar images of cloud formations and low and hig preasure areas will find that the clouds pop-up from Lower preasure areas. Cloudy and rainy areas have higher RH values. But these areas are blocked of most direct sunlight. So a plant down in the cloudy/rainy area has better optimals of air-quality, but it has lack of sunlight.

The High preasure areas are sunny and the RH drops quickly. A plant in this area now has enough sunlight, but the air-quality is reduced.

Appearanty in nature a plant mostly lives inbetween semi-semi-optimals causing it to not show the true potentials that are dialed into the genes.

Using U.S.I.U. I now am convinced I was and will be abled to cheat the plants with the real optimals it can generate over this relative small period of time it excists. As said only from node 5 up to ~2 weeks 12/12 from seeds ;)

PS. I hope you get the basic ideas of it. That is that a High preasure very sunny area with HIGH RH is not at the place where I live. This could explain the overgrow also.

PS. Here are the test result optimals of U.S.I.U. as active intake-passive exhaust of 24 hours of lights on during a hotter day/night this summer. I used an in/out temperature/hygro-meter. The values given are the minimals and maximals inside the tent @ 35 cm from the bulb inside the light (naked sensor) @ RH 65 % and outside the tent @ RH 35 % over that period of time.

Min in 22,9C
Min out 20,3C

Max in 27,4C
Max out 25,8C

The temperature diffirence outside the tent - inside the tent @ 35 cm from bulb inside the lightbeam is +2,4C to +2,6C

While the diffirence in temperature Intake U.S.I.U. - exhaust U.S.I.U. is -3C when the fogger is operational.

So far this is the best performance U.S.I.U. can give me :D

- Homebox S 80cm*80cm*160cm. Ventilation and exhaust. Lamps used and positions, switch equipment and scrog fence.
White walls, 100mm intake valve below and passive intake flaps with dustfilter, 100mm and 125mm exhaust valves, tent parts to hang a lamp and carbonfilter 3x 105m3 included. 2 PC fans are mounted to the tent walls for air circulation.

When the seeds sprout they will be placed under 1 and 2 55 watt veg horizontal lamps. After 14 days veg I will install a 250 watt Phillips master son-t plus horizontally until 14 days 12/12. Then I will scrog the plants and the setup will be vertical.
These lamps are switched with a digital time switch a relay and some random wiring all connected to GROUND from this round on ;)

The poultry fence I used needs replacement. I prefer something stronger and isolated with plastic coating. The fence will be 75 CM in diameter and 75 CM high.

- Options of modifications/tweaks.
For this I have light-dimmers to slow down fans n stuff. To tigh up plants I'll use special equipment and some wire.

- Power-usage totals.
For this I will install a Voltkraft kWh-meter with which I can record the power usage from the first hour.

Plans of progress. Chronolically
Preparation (now)
Until 1st octobre 2011. Purchase soil, seeds. Prepare soil @ 23 C few days before sowing. Prepare 200ml cups for the seeds. Prepare scrog fence #2. Prepare horizontal lamp setups for 55 wat and 250 watt. Prepare carbon filter (year 3 in use).
Sow seeds
1st octobre. In 5 seeds soil. @ 23 C the first few days in darkness.
Sprout seedlings. 2 weeks.
1st week under 1x 55 watt, the 2nd week 2x 55 watt horizontal.
Veg/early flower horizontal. ~4 weeks.
Week 3 and 4 under 250 watt bulb horizontal with reflector and seedlings in 205 liter dirt. 14 days 12/12 go vert after scrog (end week 6). First time grow fertiliser added to the water. Switch to active exhaust. Somewhere in this period after 12/12 the plants will be cut over node 8, twiggs node 1-2-3 and 4 will be cut also leaving node 5, 6 and 7 for production.
Flower from week 7 or day 15 12/12
Carefully start adding flower fertiliser to the water from week 7. Fertiliser until the plants start to drink less noticably ~ 21 days from harvest. Only water from then on.
Late flower from day 50 12/12
Watch soil tensio meter closelly (like before). Only water. Soil nearly dry a day before the harvest.
Harvest day 70 12/12. 1-1-2012?
48 hours darkness before cut down. Weigh the plants. Cut them up and inspect for rot, no twiggs remain and put it in the dry net in the dry room.
Drying app. 5 weeks.
In an attempt to keep the RH @ 50% in the dry room i'll dimm the exhaust to minima in latter drying.
Final weight and GPkWh score
When the twiggs break yars are used for storage. The final weight will be revealed.
Curing. app. 1-2 months.
I want to put mini RH-meters in them to keep an eye on maintaining 50% RH.

Questions remaining for future expansions.

VPD and air preasure.
To get me a VPD-value I use a VPD-calcutaor @ http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php. This number is a formula of air/leaf temperature and RH numbers, but air-preasure is excluded.

This leaves me with the question; 'what is the optimal VPD/air-preasure for my plants?'

For this number I have to install a barometer and it requires proper logging of the plants progresses under diffirent preasures. B/c if it is true that air-preasure-influence on the plant is underestimated, I have work to do ;)

I prefer a digital barometer with logging functions. I also would have to increase U.S.I.U.'s capacities by 2x or 3x to test all this.

Roots and airsupply of some sort, smartpots/airpots related.
Would an active airsupply to the soil via tubes with holes have a noticable positive effect?

Watersupplies with Blumat drippers.
In what extend would this have possitive effects on my soil life?

Superlumens for the plants.
I would love to play with that some day :)

Tent-in-tent concept.
A tent-in-tent concept would support me in using U.S.I.U. as active intake-passive exhaust also during flower. By opening up the exhausts I could make sure the positive preasure is minimal. The larger tent will have an active exhaust mounted with carbon filter when needed.

The smaller tent is pumped by U.S.I.U., then in flower the larger tent will activelly suck the air out of the smaller tent preventing the smelly air from leaking outside.

What benefit would this setup have? Thinking about the possibilties compared to the investment and extra space it takes I think the positive preasure is not what a plant in latter flower needs b/c higher preasure air can hold less humidity causing the plants to vaporise less. I fear mold in this setup.

But in extend, the exhausts of the smaller tent could be opened wide enough to get to 1 atmosphere leaving me with an optimal intake-exhaust airfow. And it could offer me extra possibilities in making the unit undetectable with anti-detection foils. All in exchange for little extra power cunsumption in latter flower.

Climate control in my dry room.
To keep the RH @ 50%. Could this improve the cure proces in time? The room would turn into a dry/cure-room. This RH is also the best value to conserve the buds in. How to do this without the smells leaking from the room? Perhaps my room-in-room concept offers solutions.

Later i'll send some pics of the current setup. Writing down these plans took aaages :)

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
holy cow going to have to read all this at a later date , what I did read sounded good tho!

exploziv_gbb
took a chair.
lurk.gif

good luck bro, can't wait to see it.
wave.gif

Good to see a Moderater show some interest in what I am doing. Thanks!! I'll post some pics later this week ;)

Señor Chang
lurk.gif

Thanks for showing intersest dude! It'll also help me and my plants to get on top of things.

megayields
holy cow going to have to read all this at a later date , what I did read sounded good tho!

Thanks Mega! Glad to read you liked what you read. Thank you too!

PS.

I added some info about the plants rite here ..
Veg/early flower horizontal. ~4 weeks.
Week 3 and 4 under 250 watt bulb horizontal with reflector and seedlings in 205 liter dirt. 14 days 12/12 go vert after scrog (end week 6). First time grow fertiliser added to the water. Switch to active exhaust. Somewhere in this period after 12/12 the plants will be cut over node 8, twiggs node 1-2-3 and 4 will be cut also leaving node 5, 6 and 7 for production.

Now it is complete!

:wave:

bobblehead

Veteran
wow... that's a whole lot of words... and theory.

IDK about differences in pressure and plant growth... The difference in air pressure causes air movement. I would think the ultimate goal would be to move the air... You can use both negative and positive pressure, w/o needing a lung room (tent inside a tent). You just have to pump the air in slower than you're exhausting it. A speed controller on the intake fan can be used to achieve this.

Ultrasonic pond foggers are great... and I like you're idea of heating the water before you turn it into fog, warming the air before it's brought in... That's unique. It'll work great during the stretch when you need the humidity up to 70%... but when you need it down to 50% during late flower, what are you gonna do? You should probably look into making a heat exchanger if that's the direction you want to go, and keep it separate from the intake.

Waiting for pics...

Very interesting technology and plans, looking forward to following this one.
really interesting, I sit

Thanks and welcome to the thread!

:wave:

IDK about differences in pressure and plant growth... The difference in air pressure causes air movement. I would think the ultimate goal would be to move the air... You can use both negative and positive pressure, w/o needing a lung room (tent inside a tent). You just have to pump the air in slower than you're exhausting it. A speed controller on the intake fan can be used to achieve this.

To move the air IS the ultimate goal yes. But as I described; the positive pressure is what I am experimenting with as I believe it has some benifits in this stage of veg/flower of my plants. Do optimal VPD values in 1 (1-) atmosphere cause the plants to overgrow or is it the 1+ atmosphere air pressure?
Your active exhaust idea would undo this positive pressure. I will apply this setup in mid and latter flower. Perhaps 1- atmosphere is better then to filter the odor acuratelly. Maybe 1- also improves the plant transpiration.

Ultrasonic pond foggers are great... and I like you're idea of heating the water before you turn it into fog, warming the air before it's brought in... That's unique. It'll work great during the stretch when you need the humidity up to 70%... but when you need it down to 50% during late flower, what are you gonna do? You should probably look into making a heat exchanger if that's the direction you want to go, and keep it separate from the intake.

Luckilly I live in a house with central warming on a thermostate. So I can warm the place without U.S.I.U warming. This would lower the RH inside home. Also winter is ahead, RH will drop dramatically.
I have barelly used the water warming yet..

PS.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027311779500889M

Here I read some of reduced air pressure benefits. Fun stuff ;)

Pics this noon :blowbubbles:!

Preparation fase.

Preparation fase.

Here some 2.0 MP pics of the basic setup of the tent.

You can see U.S.U.I. with a hose on it. 2x tubevents and some pipes. If you look closelly u see a spare cycle-tire to close off the top part from leaking water. I nut/bolted the plastic cap and it seems to hold . Need rings to tighten it up properly.

The fogger in the image after that. I have spare membranes for the next few years.

Inside the tent the bottom part has warming under it. This part will be filled with soil! Will be using foil of some sort to keep it together a bit though and the water in the soil. That pipe has to be cut to fit properly.

The top parts passive/active exhausts and thermo/hygrostate

The voltcraft kWh-meter

And some equipment to mess around with. Do have more dimmers and time-switches. The dimmers are used for the fans and vents and soil warming

Attachments

• Foto0003b.jpg
    Foto0003b.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 14
  • foto0008.jpg
    foto0008.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 14
  • foto0004.jpg
    foto0004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
  • foto0005.jpg
    foto0005.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
  • foto0006.jpg
    foto0006.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Foto0007.jpg
    Foto0007.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 13

bobblehead

Veteran
ok... I'm gonna sit back and watch the show... and see just how well you can mimic. mother nature... For the record though, I'm going with VPD and simply increasing the humidity should do the job.

Since you're testing VPD vs. positive pressure... are you going with traditional extraction and intake for the next run for comparison? or do you have another grow or previous grows fro comparison?

ok... I'm gonna sit back and watch the show... and see just how well you can mimic. mother nature... For the record though, I'm going with VPD and simply increasing the humidity should do the job.

Since you're testing VPD vs. positive pressure... are you going with traditional extraction and intake for the next run for comparison? or do you have another grow or previous grows fro comparison?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213171

I like the overgrow aspect of it. Reason to continue to PUMP IT !

Something to compare with would be nice but all in time. In the future perhaps I should start running duo units. All for test purposes at first..

But first I want soil drippers and something like smartpots...

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also vote with Bobble (surpise) VPD and controlling humidity is the answer, I "Still" had very minor pm with ALL my efforts at recycling my room air EVEY 2 min and using de-huey on atmospheric controllers depending on if they were stretching OR flowering,the PM was nothing like I had before.

Remember ...is ain't easy being pimp!

bobblehead

Veteran
I also vote with Bobble (surpise) VPD and controlling humidity is the answer, I "Still" had very minor pm with ALL my efforts at recycling my room air EVEY 2 min and using de-huey on atmospheric controllers depending on if they were stretching OR flowering,the PM was nothing like I had before.

Remember ...is ain't easy being pimp!

PM is a virus that infects your plants... so if your mom has is, all of her clones will too... you need to spray them with Eagle20. PM doesn't normally show in veg... Also, did you clean everything with bleach? I sprayed everything with a 10% bleach solution.

Didn't you pick up a big drizair?

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the PM was extremely minor, no the Drizare got sold before I could get to it....

... For the record though, I'm going with VPD and simply increasing the humidity should do the job.

I also vote with Bobble (surpise) VPD and controlling humidity is the answer!

Alrite folks today I read me a message from a companion grower from my home country. He stated that he grew his haze leafs to the size of indica ones with my active intake concept. He stated his result was 15% heavier.

.. For now this is the only number I can give. But my friend also stated that he will send me a bunch of data of messurements later!

I am super happy he has some data already. I couldn't have done that sooner than him. :jump:
More on this later.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Well I ain't gonna say that it won't work... But I will say that it is a whole lot of bullshit and calculations and bullshit to add to a simple task that many people already have a challenge with.

See there are several aspects that you've neglected or just didn't mention that directly impact the theory:
Such as: What Temperature Does Water Boil?
Answer: Short Answer: The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level).

Better Answer: The boiling point of water depends on the atmospheric pressure, which changes according to elevation. The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level), but water boils at a lower temperature as you gain altitude (e.g., on a mountain) and boils at a higher temperature if you increase atmospheric pressure (lived below sea level).

The boiling point of water also depends on the purity of the water. Water which contains impurities (such as salted water) boils at a higher temperature than pure water. This phenomenon is called boiling point elevation, which is one of the colligative properties of matter.

Now yer all thinkin: "What the fuck does the boiling point of water have to do with growin weed?" Right?

Well everything. Cause temperatures are relative to pressure. 25 degrees Celsius at 1,300 feet isn't the same as 25C at 35,000... Higher elevations also have heavier gravity and less O2. Heavier gravity forces heavier air/particles down...

But without even diving into the science of the idea, (which might work quite well in a zero gravity atmosphere) your money and time would produce far bigger yields by adding a CO2 generator and some good genetics. Because all the high tech shit in the world won't consistently outgrow genetics that are designed to grow in your area and climate.

K.I.S.S...
Keep It Simple Stoners

Well I ain't gonna say that it won't work... But I will say that it is a whole lot of bullshit and calculations and bullshit to add to a simple task that many people already have a challenge with.

I just grooving on this stuff for now. Love to present it as a +15% result to the world. For now only ONE active user picked it up and send me some data. Anyways it is just fucking awesome!

See there are several aspects that you've neglected or just didn't mention that directly impact the theory:
Such as: What Temperature Does Water Boil?
Answer: Short Answer: The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level).

Better Answer: The boiling point of water depends on the atmospheric pressure, which changes according to elevation. The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212° F at 1 atmosphere of pressure (sea level), but water boils at a lower temperature as you gain altitude (e.g., on a mountain) and boils at a higher temperature if you increase atmospheric pressure (lived below sea level).

The boiling point of water also depends on the purity of the water. Water which contains impurities (such as salted water) boils at a higher temperature than pure water. This phenomenon is called boiling point elevation, which is one of the colligative properties of matter.

Now yer all thinkin: "What the fuck does the boiling point of water have to do with growin weed?" Right?

Well everything. Cause temperatures are relative to pressure. 25 degrees Celsius at 1,300 feet isn't the same as 25C at 35,000... Higher elevations also have heavier gravity and less O2. Heavier gravity forces heavier air/particles down...

But without even diving into the science of the idea, (which might work quite well in a zero gravity atmosphere) your money and time would produce far bigger yields by adding a CO2 generator and some good genetics. Because all the high tech shit in the world won't consistently outgrow genetics that are designed to grow in your area and climate.

K.I.S.S...
Keep It Simple Stoners

K.I.S.S ? Never knew what it stood for even though I read about it all the time here on ICMag... But I insist that my concept and KISS go hand in hand.

I believe that in the end it will be the unorthodox simple application that offer solutions to problems.

I have to appoligise for my language. English is just not my first language. This disables me to explain these thing in a way that people clearly understand what TF is going on.

Anyways :thank you: for your reply. I will put the promised data in this thread when I have it.

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
K.I.S.S originally was "Keep it Simple Stupid" just to keep (as StressTest mentions) the "bullshit" to a minimum.