What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kroggi's Vertical Tubes #1 White Russian

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok I Gotta get one of those...took 3 of us, gro-bro and his younger brother and myself 3 straight days to trim almost 4.75 lbs.....damn 3 hours for 2.5 KG's?

Kroggi

Hehe yeah :D 3 hours in total, from cutting them down, to the last bud had been put in a box to get carried out to dry in the drynet ;) 2 KG of WET buds, non dried... Ill get back to ya with a dry weight when i have that :)

Ull lose a bit of the final weight by using a tumbletrimmer i believe... as i allways leave a bit of leaf material, as i tend to go for trichomes and not just buds in general. But the trim in the tumbletrimmer... Man, thats like pure crystals, and we did fast dry some of it in an oven, and then used gas on it and got some oil. That shit was DARK, and there was plenty of it, kicking like a horse too :p

EDIT: Gonna try something real fast... Recorded a video of the tumbletrimmer, tho it aint the best run as u might notice, stuffed it a bit too much and the leafs was over the edge which got between the lid and the bottom mid part... Anyways, have a look :)

5th

Veteran
Hey Kroggi, great looking set up. Was just watching the trim vid so thats why I'm gonna post here instead of your new thread. What are the dimentions of your growing area? Length n' height I mean as it looks like a square. Congrats on the harvy dude.

Kroggi

hey 5th.

Was just down measuring it up... so lets see. The big area with the tubes measures WxLxH = 178 x 166 x 210cm (measured from the backside of the tubes)
The whole room measures WxLxH = 185 x 264 x 210cm (from wall to wall and floor to ceiling)
And the rest of the space in the room that aint being used with the tubes, is split in 3 parts vertically. Bottom part is around 70 cm high and holds a 65 liter res, tumbletrimmer is down there aswell and just some other stuff that aint being used currently. Mid part is vegetative area with 5 x 18w lights which measures WxLxH = 72 x 98 x 90cm and top part is for random stuff... Rockwool cubes, fertilizers, PH and EC measures etc...

The with for walking into the tube area is 50 cm, just enough to get in :)

I hope that helped m8, if not ill try and draw it up or something.

NOTB

i do have co2 and that shit don't work......unless you toxify the entire house,and then it would prolly be cheaper to just bomb the whole house and more effective,as for that whole yeast thing with bugs? your just just givin them nutes to get big and healthy.

5th

Veteran
hey 5th.

Was just down measuring it up... so lets see. The big area with the tubes measures WxLxH = 178 x 166 x 210cm (measured from the backside of the tubes)
The whole room measures WxLxH = 185 x 264 x 210cm (from wall to wall and floor to ceiling)
And the rest of the space in the room that aint being used with the tubes, is split in 3 parts vertically. Bottom part is around 70 cm high and holds a 65 liter res, tumbletrimmer is down there aswell and just some other stuff that aint being used currently. Mid part is vegetative area with 5 x 18w lights which measures WxLxH = 72 x 98 x 90cm and top part is for random stuff... Rockwool cubes, fertilizers, PH and EC measures etc...

The with for walking into the tube area is 50 cm, just enough to get in :)

I hope that helped m8, if not ill try and draw it up or something.

It helped heaps m8, thanks for the quick response. And like everyone else I'm tagged n' hope nothing but the best on round two. Reason I was asking is I'm planning something similar shortly. Will be using 2 600w's and was wondering how much actual growing space/light you were using. I was planning on doing a hexagon shape with each side being 60cm giving me a diameter of about 150cm. Wasn't sure what size I should make so I'm utilizing all available light. Cheers

Last edited:

Kroggi

I had a nice long text written down, when i got carried away with something else, and ended up closing the browser down. You know, one of those times when u just CANT seem to remember what u wrote :p ? Oh well, lets try and see if we can remember it all this time :p

@875 - The tumbletrimmer its self cost me around 310 euros as i get a bit of discount from hydrogarden. Its listed at 346.60 euros on growinberlin. So i saved a bit of cash there, which got used on other stuff then :p

@5th - Good to hear bro, it makes sense why u asked about the dimensions, and i do love the simplicity of the system its self, and that i wish to thank a few ppl for coming up with and getting me started with ;) Oh and thanks for the rep Heath Robinson, much obliged coming from you :) And everyone else ofcourse, the name just kind of hit me :p

Id love to see a vertical tube grow as a hexagon from u bro. Reason i didnt do that, was kind of, or well, i dont know if it was stupid in general, but the 45 degree bends costs like triple of what a 90 degree bending would cost, and it takes less :) Also, i hate wasting space, so a hexagon would seem pretty wierd building in my own little world. But thats just me. I do believe u get more out of it building one, but dunno...

Dams is something i doesnt have in the system aswell, i only had like a 1cm / m drop on the tubes, and thats about it. This time i leveled it out, no dams in yet, i have them, but ill wait with putting them in as i wish to see how this next grow goes without them :)

Good luck with the system bro ;)

5th

Veteran
i dont know if it was stupid in general, but the 45 degree bends costs like triple of what a 90 degree bending would cost, and it takes less :) Also, i hate wasting space, so a hexagon would seem pretty wierd building in my own little world. But thats just me. I do believe u get more out of it building one, but dunno...

Your exactly right about parts n' cost. Not to sound like an asshole...lol...but I got a few extra bucks laying around. Heres my thoughts on the hexagon. Diameter of roughly 152cm, minus 10cm for pvc, another 7cm for bulb size leaves me with about 67cm of growing on any side of the bulb. Wanted to enclose behind the pvc with plywood in 60cm sides. Front 60cm panel would be the entrance. Two 600's top n' bottom...lol...then do pretty much what you did. I was going to run the 500gph pump 24hrs....but other options are available...would like to use small dams...but I'm always home and don't see the reason.

Oh yeah, 3" sativa dom. clones, spaced 15cm apart in 2" netpots.
Sorry about the ramble n' the hijack m8, I just see someone doing what I wanna be doing n' get all worked up.

Thanks again btw.

Grow4Flow

Very nice grow, any dry weight numbers yet? I built one of these systems last year have have not yet put it to the test, looking forward to it though.

Grow4Flow

I did mine with 3" SDR-35, 36 site with the modular capabilities if i want to add levels later. The feed is on top left, return is on bottom right that will lead to rez that will be postioned on the left. all fits into the 5x5 growlab behind it. I left the front open for easy access, because of this, the water zig zags through the chambers.

I was gonna use 3" ball valves instead of dams but holy shit! almost $100us each, decided not to go with dams at all since clones come out of the Turboklone with long roots so no need.
photo-1.jpg

Kroggi

@5th - Deffently gonna be enough space for the plants to grow at. And yeah, i would run the pump 24/7 if u dont want a flood all of a sudden :D First mistake i made... Imagine that the water gets pumped up to the top pipe, runs aaaallll the way through the system and ends in the last pipe which is the reservoir. Before the water returns to the res, i would have pumped around 60 - 70 liters of water into the pipes, and therefore also filled the res with another 60 liters of solution :D So then the pump turns off, the water keeps running out of the end pipe, till it have emptied the whole system into the res, which is allready filled... See where im going ? :) No need for timing, that would just get the room wet, unless u have a freaking big res that u dont need to fill up after it goes into the system :) I think u get the point hehe.

So 60cm sides of plywood with reflective foil on i guess ? GOOD CHOICE :D I want to do that aswell before i get started on the new one, but i need time :p hehe, oh well... It will come some day ;)

And do feel free to hijack the thread once in a while as this is something we both, and hopefully others learn from :p Pros and cons, do and do nots, possibilities and ideas... It all gotta be thrown in here for others to comment right ? ;)

@Grow4Flow - hey bro, no dry weight yet, tomorrow / saturday there should be a dry number :) But hell, im excited to see how much i get, tho i think its gonna be disappointing numbers :( But time will tell. Next grow tho, with the LUI's should be somewhat better ;) System finally gets filled with clones and those clones is gonna be fast and packed before harvest :p

SICK system ! Nicely build, pretty impressive actually with the stands and all. GET IT GOING :p I wanna see that system in action. +REP

Kroggi

Final picture before a dry weight count... Propably gonna be low, but you never know :) Drynet measures 90 cm in diameter, 120 cm high currently, and 180 when the last net is connected aswell.

Packed up its about 35 cm diameter and 9 cm high :p

Attachments

• P1010840.jpg
    P1010840.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 8

CannabisFox

Hey Kroggi. Sweet grow you've done there !

I have some questions which you might wanna answer :p
# Have you monitored and adjusted rh?
# Why did you used a 400w. cmh as lower lamp? Did you regulary switched it with the upper lamp?
# Do you think the plants near the corners yielded less due to the smaller amount of light they got?

Your temp peak was at 28°. Such indica plants can easily tolerate till 30° which would also help with too high rh and optimize growth.
Adding Co² is a really good thing but if you are doing so you want to go with a sealed system otherwise all added Co² is sucked out of the room too fast as that it could have an effect..

Waiting for dry numbers =)

Kroggi

@CannabisFox - Thanks m8 :)
1. I havent monitored and adjusted RH (humidity), only PH and EC.
2. I used a 400w CMH as CMH cant be bought in higher than 400w. And it should be better. So to make it an even 1000w on the grow light, i put that in instead of another 600w. But ill make 1200w (2 x 600w) next time. Didnt swtich them around, so the 600w was in top allways.
3. The plant sizes when put into flower wassent growing with the same speed or pattern, so the whole upper row was bigger plants, and then they got smaller the lower u went. Like the upper plants made a shadow to those below? Anyways, i ordered som JoJo's for the next round, that should help me stabalize the grow a bit, so the lower plants gets the same amount of light. But ive learned from this round and will improve for the next, thats for sure ;)

The CO2 was just a small idea i thought could benefit a bit, but a closed system with no ventilation, would propably not be too good, as it would increase humidity with all the water in there. Also, CO2 is a heavy gas which falls down, so it aint sucked out of the room instantly :) The bottles lasted around 1 week +

If im gonna use CO2 next round it will be as tabs.

Dry numbers ? Heh me 2 :p

Kroggi

Dry number are now in...
446g White Russian, with 40 plants just about, some bigger than others...
15g 2Pounder x Northern Light, with 1 plant (lala seeds)
22g Ice, with 1 plant
--------------------------
Total with 42 plants
483g - 0,483 gpw with a lot of unfilled holes...

Not the best, but ill settle with this :)
Next round coming up, and hopefully that will be a lot better :D

CannabisFox

ty for the answers! for my upcoming vert I wont monitor rh either.. maybe just hanging some kind of towel with an aquarium pump to keep it wet inside ;P

to run a sealed room is quite nice... when you want to spend the amount of money for temp rh und co2 control =)
but then you can give your plents the best clima they can want. well assumed you know what they want :D

trying things out is always worth a try :ying:

cya around

edit: Ive not known WR as a high yielder so under that circumstances half a kg is a nice amount of weed! Congrats! :)
PS: for the next run you certainly want more plant numbers! ;)

Kroggi

Hehe yeah, im getting all 64 holes filled with Legends of Ultimate Indica, growthread started aswell which can be followed with the link in the sig :) So im deffently going with a higher yield the coming round :p

WR kind of hit me as a medium yielder, hmm...
What other strains could u recommend in a vertical setup, that would be a high yielder?

CannabisFox

You need to know I've never done a vertical before.(but normal grows ofc) :)
All I know is read and write and either scientific documented or proofed by some pro growers.

I love top44 and I recommend it to you ^^ K2 is also nice. These are typical "commerc" plants which produce high yields with enough thc and grow nicely under different non-optimal circumstances.

Kroggi

Problem with most plants is that they grow in a pattern that would be wierd to use in this setup, so ive experiences... Example... Jack Herer, or SSSDH would NEVER be good in this setup, as they need the height which they cant have.

White widow might be a solution, AK99 aswell, Chronic maybe, but in general, single cola plants would be best, but wide plants is welcome aswell, as long as they can be controlled properly :D