What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

llewops 1800w vertical NFT

llewop

Updated:

My housemate and I wanted to build a high yielding vertical system for cheap, this is what we came up with.

First we built a grow room by dividing my bedroom into two. We put a wall up using only 2x4's, drywall and soundboard. Theres actually a fairly large room behind that wall, it's about 8x8 and also has a closet with sliding doors for cloning.
DSCN0057.jpg

The vertical systems frame is a 56" octagon build out of 2x4's. It goes from the floor to the ceiling, nine feet exactly. This frame is wrapped in mylar, leaving only a small entrance at one side of the bottom to enter/exit. This system is based on heaths flooded vertical on RIU, but we found a much cheaper solution for piping. 100 feet of perforated black 4" tubing from home depot is $50 dollars. This tubing starts at the very top of the inside of the frame and spirals down to the bottom into a 30 gallon reservoir(rubbermaid). The water is pumped to the top by an Ecoplus 1267 with adjustable valve to control flow. The water then passively flows down the piping, submerging the roots on its way back into the res. Unlike Heath I don't run my pump 24/7, I have 36 watts of airstones in my res and run my pump 15 minutes on 30 off. Three 600 watts digital hps lamps are housed in three vertically placed 8" cooltubes. These cooltubes hang from a 40" ceiling fan that I got at home depot for 23 dollars, the top cooltube has a dust filter on it. Air is sucked through the cooltubes, and out of the room by a 10" inline fan and blown through a carbon filter that sits on my balcony.

Heres a video a friend made of my setup when I first built it. I know this will receive criticisms as it makes me sound very materialistic and money driven, which is not the case. This hobby is far more than a means of income and I was asked to include figures to make it sound interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCr2QNgQxTE

This thread is kind of jumping into the middle of the grow. We've got about 130 plants in the NFT system, plus another 25 on the ground in 5x5 pots with fox farms. Strain is one I crossed myself last year. It's blue dream crossed with a local San Diego indica called Hogsbreath. All seed are feminized and grown 12/12 from the start. Ill be choosing the best plants from this run as mothers and plan on using clones thereafter. I also just added 30 OG Kush clones to the system, they should finish at about the same time.

No AC, no dehumidifier. Room temps are around 75-80 with light off, and around 72-76 lights on. I run my lights at night to keep the temps in check. Humidity is between 40-70 at various times in the day. I always run the same thing in my res:Shitty San Diego Tap Water, the lucas formula full strength, Floralicious Plus, Hydrozyme, tiny bit of Cal/Mag, and SM-90.

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN00131.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

Questions and comments welcome

Go Tritons!

So you're pumping up water to the top of the structure, then letting the water spiral down back to the res? I'm visualizing your system as the same shape of a Slinky (spring). Good stuff. Gonna be crowded full of bud for sure.

llewop

Go Tritons!

So you're pumping up water to the top of the structure, then letting the water spiral down back to the res? I'm visualizing your system as the same shape of a Slinky (spring). Good stuff. Gonna be crowded full of bud for sure.

Exactly, I based the design on Heaths vertical, only with no dams and built for much cheaper.

GoozMan

Well that's looking pretty awesome! Wish I saw more hydro setups on the vert forum, especially like yours. I'll be following your grow.

llewop

Jesus christ I just re-read your post and saw the plant count. How on earth did they all fit?!

85 feet of piping with 5 inch spacing between 2" netpots. Theres six rows of plants with 18 inch spacing, Plus all the plants in 5"x5" pots on the floor. Ideally I'd like to finish with a bunch of 20' single colas, 12/12 from seed has given me more branch and stretch than I'd hoped.

llewop

Plants are drinking over 10 gallons a day right now! Heres pictures of some GDP we grew in the system with only one light on as kind of a pilot run.

picture.php
picture.php

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TAGGED

TAGGED

Very impressive. Gonna stick around for this one.

Good luck!

:tiphat:

MARLO

llewop

Took about 200 clones of the plants on thursday, still pretty crowded...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

some budshots of the 5 plants that are about 4 weeks older:

picture.php

picture.php

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just realized that you have a ceiling fan at the top of the tubes. Do you use it to circulate the air? That'd be f'n great.

Nice budshots too

MARLO

llewop

I just realized that you have a ceiling fan at the top of the tubes. Do you use it to circulate the air? That'd be f'n great.

Nice budshots too

MARLO

Yep, ceiling fan was 25 bucks from home depot. It circulates the air in the system and the cooltubes hang from it.

mrktwiz

Very nice setup iilewop.....will be watching for sure, btw what size pump do you use to push the water to the top and spiral down?

mrktwiz

my appologies I see you mentioned the pump in the original post...lol I'm kinda baked watching the football games....great job!

GoozMan

Is that piping flexible? It's hard to tell but I don't think I see any 45's - is it just one long tube that winds around? Because that would be awesome.

llewop

Very nice setup iilewop.....will be watching for sure, btw what size pump do you use to push the water to the top and spiral down?

My pump is way overkill and generates mad heat, really any pump that can push 9 feet vertically would work fine.

GoozMan

Kudos to a fellow San Diegan. I've seen that piping at Home Depot but never considered it. 4"? Do they have the same fittings like end caps and things for this type? Would you say your setup is octagonal or circular or what? Thanks.

llewop

Kudos to a fellow San Diegan. I've seen that piping at Home Depot but never considered it. 4"? Do they have the same fittings like end caps and things for this type? Would you say your setup is octagonal or circular or what? Thanks.

Hi Goozman

Thanks for your interest. They have a few connections for it but the tubing is meant to be used as outdoor drainage pipe. Its perforated and it would be hard to make any connections watertight.

The wooden frame is basically just eight 2 by 4's in the shape of an octagon that go from the floor to the ceiling. The tubing is connected to the inside of these eight vertical wood supports. It ends up being a pretty circular spiral

llewop

Heres some miscellaneous iphone pictures I just uploaded...

A while back we picked up about 140 GPD clones from some random guy on craigslist cause he gave us a good price. I'm never doing that again... Only 100 of the clones had any roots, the other 40 cuttings were just to small and weak. Within a week a few of the clones had PM spores AND the plants that we did end up flowering turned out to clearly be three very different strains. Only one of which was GDP!!! Thanks Asshole!

Heres the tray

picture.php

and these..

picture.php

Here they are in my homemade aero cloner/veg tubs

picture.php

Finished

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fast forward to the current grow... All lighting is 12/12 start to finish

We started 198 of our feminized seeds in rockwool and got 100% germination, yes 100%

picture.php

picture.php

here they are in the aero tub thingy

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is one of the 30 Kush plants that were recently added to the NFT system. I cut the bottoms out of 2" netpots and stick the rockwhool really far down making sure the base touches the flowing water. Then I just stuff rockwhool cubes into the top of the netpot. They go right into the system like this.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts