What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Statusquo's Garden Vertical - CMH/HPS

statusquo

So the three plants I put through hell have spider mites! :( I caught them relatively early and hit them with some spectracide about 7 days ago and then hit them again 2 nights ago. The plants look ok....they are still frosting up but the growth is definitely more sparse and I am worried about the spread.

Do you guys think I should just cull the three plants that have the infestations and let them finish up outside as to not risk contaminating the rest of my room/crop? I also have some raw neem oil that I could treat them with in addition to the spectracide. I figure a rigorous two prong attack should do the trick but I am hesitant to risk it....Ill try and post some pics up soon (sick and healthy alike).

Baba Ku

Veteran
Once in flower, I like to use Spinosad and/or pyrithrin. Switch off with the two every day for one week and they will all be gone. If you can spray your plants at all, it will help to spray them off an hour after treatment to get rid of carcasses, eggs, and any residue.
Mites are born ready to lay eggs, and I think they are close to 3 day cycles.
Neem tends to lose it's effectiveness throughout the grow, and it tastes nasty when left on flowers.

Oz is just upset that his shit lacks. :dunno:

bobblehead

Veteran
So the three plants I put through hell have spider mites! :( I caught them relatively early and hit them with some spectracide about 7 days ago and then hit them again 2 nights ago. The plants look ok....they are still frosting up but the growth is definitely more sparse and I am worried about the spread.

Do you guys think I should just cull the three plants that have the infestations and let them finish up outside as to not risk contaminating the rest of my room/crop? I also have some raw neem oil that I could treat them with in addition to the spectracide. I figure a rigorous two prong attack should do the trick but I am hesitant to risk it....Ill try and post some pics up soon (sick and healthy alike).

Chances are if you see them on 3 of your plants, they've already laid their eggs elsewhere... My Friend gave me the LVPK, and the mites didn't show up for several weeks, but when they did... BAM! I threw out the visually infected clones... And then a few more weeks later, and more mites...

Personally, I got on eBay, and bought some forbid for $20 from a reseller, and I haven't seen them since... You can only use it on vegging plants though.

Spinosad works great on thrips...

Baba Ku

Veteran
Spinosad also kills mites fast. I was a bit apprehensive about it's effectiveness on mites, but I have proven it's worth to myself with some tests.

IMO, Pyritherin is probably the very best product on the market for spider mites. It is very benign and leaves NO taste or smell. Pyritherin is very, very expensive though...as there are not concentrates available and we can usually only purchase pre-mixed solutions, which end up costing lots of coin if you have a considerable sized grow.
Pyritherin works to kill the mites almost immediately on contact, and if you continue the regimen daily for a week there will be no mites left.
Plants that look unaffected by the critters also need to be treated right along with the infested plants.

Prevention is the best method, but once they come they are easy to get rid of. I can't hardly see many reasons I would cull or throw out a plant simply because some mites invited themselves over. Simply show them the door and continue on.

statusquo

Strawberry Cough, smells fucking amazing. Week 8:
picture.php

picture.php

GC x OGK @ week 8 lower bud:
picture.php

Chem-D @ week 3:
picture.php

SSSDH @ week 3:
picture.php

CWK @ week 5. These are the mite infested plants. Yields definitely taking a hit but the buds are dank and the outdoor I ran is dank as fuck if you check out the OD album:
picture.php

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow, that SC looks amazing, I can almost smell it from here with a southern wind down the coast.

Nice work looks like your room is kickin into gear..... awesome!!!

statusquo

Bought some seeds for GREAT prices.
-(3) DG invite auction mixed packs. These were $40 a piece and have roughly equal amounts of Sweetest Cindy99, Dieselrella, and Oger99 in each pack. This means I will get roughly one pack of all three of these strains. If I bought these individually, they would be $80-100 a piece. That means I saved about $180 :) Hopefully I will offset the savings by giving DG some good pics for and reputation by posting some killer pictures and spreading the word :)

-(1) Ganesh C99 F2's for $40. Thinking about buying another pack of these as 40 is an effing steal. Also they are F2 so hopefully I can get both phenos!

-Another, (1), pack of Tom Hill's Deep Chunk x Haze F2. Got 20 of these seeds going to run them all outside this year and hopefully find some amazing shit. Hoping for one DC leaning keeper pheno, one haze leaning and one hybrid :). Kind of like buying 3 strains instead of one! :)

I'll post some better pictures later. I'm thinking of pulling the GCxOG and the K2 soon. Probably going to give the SC another week.

Wow, that SC looks amazing, I can almost smell it from here with a southern wind down the coast.

Nice work looks like your room is kickin into gear..... awesome!!!
Thanks man, from you that means a lot! :) Those SC pictures don't reflect the frost that well. I'll try and snap some better ones later but the smell is heavenly. I want to save a jar to periodically release terpenes in my room so I'm constantly undergoing aromatherapy. The smell physiologically stimulates a smile and endorphins man...The yield is a lot better than I was expecting too.

Looking really nice - good luck dealing with those mites; hate those little fuckers.
I know and I used to think PM was bad! These little fucks do some serious damage and are very hard to totally eradicate. I have been turned the temps down in the room so that in the day time it's in the low 70's and in the mid to low 60's at night. This has definitely slowed down their reproduction significantly and made maintaining them easier. It's like cancer. You can kill most of them with a treatment but it only takes a few to completely take over again....

I am going to take the Chem Wreck's outside and let them finish out there. The big plants have been fine and are just starting to get mites but they are coming down very soon so it doesn't matter. As for the 3rd group in the perpetual they are young enough that I can treat them heavily with "Spectracide" and Neem. Got to use a two pronged attack with these guys to kill their cycle completely instead of merely interrupting it. I am also going to clean up the room while I have the chance. I am determined to have a clean grow!

Thanks for tuning in and the support guys! I'll try and make it worth it for ya's ;)

statusquo

Harvested most of the big plants in the vert room today. Also harvested 2/4 of my OD plants. Sorry for the low quality pics this time!
picture.php

GCxOG Bud Cock - "The Help 1"
picture.php

Skywalker OG *OD* - "The Help 2"
picture.php