What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Statusquo's Garden Vertical - CMH/HPS

statusquo

Looks real nice... IDK how cold your cement floor is right now, but you might want to elevate those pots an inch or two... :) Keep up the good work!

Thought about it - still am but it doesn't seem to be a problem as of now. Temps are pretty consistently around 75 but lights go off at two am (random I know...) so the concrete probably does drop in temp at night. What do you use to elevate whole rows just a little bit? I was thinking some kind of metal grate shelf type thing.

statusquo

Picture updates...just snapped a quick few ones of the gc x og kush, the cough and the k2. Not sure which one is which and all the ladies have been put through an abusive childhood...it being my first go with this room and at vert and all :) anyways here ya go:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see, things are a bit overgrown!
picture.php

statusquo

Someone's butt hurt :) Thank you for your contribution; please don't comment here again if you are going to bring that persona and attitude in here. One word response arguments and following people to their personal threads just to say arbitrarily negative things....nice

OsWiZzLe

Ive used CMH bulbs when they first came out...go check out the first few pages in the thread...just trying to help a newbie grower who's making mistakes...you could have learned alot from my mistakes with CMH

statusquo

I have also used CMH, have done other grows, and my username is older than yours lol. You don't know anything about my grow and it's blatantly obvious you came in here just to troll because you are either upset and/or embarrassed because of the other thread. Seriously, please go elsewhere as your 'advice' and comments of any kind are not welcome here.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Buds look real nice from here! Nice work, You aren't doing it right if you don't get a few negative comments, Can't wait to see how this turns out..

bobblehead

Veteran
you could use my advice...your skillz look elementary son

Some people like the extra potency from the CMH, not everyone grows to sell. Not to mention the trim is great for bubble hash... asshole... where's your pics?

Looking good satusquo... The plants look happy and healthy.

bobblehead

Veteran
Thought about it - still am but it doesn't seem to be a problem as of now. Temps are pretty consistently around 75 but lights go off at two am (random I know...) so the concrete probably does drop in temp at night. What do you use to elevate whole rows just a little bit? I was thinking some kind of metal grate shelf type thing.

If I were you, I would just get like 2 1"x2"x8' fir strip for each side, and set the plants up on those. The boards are like $1-2 each, and they'll get them off the cement floor. If your temps are good, then I wouldn't worry... But it couldn't hurt either. ;)

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking great status brother, you know if we dont feed the troll, they will starve to death lol

on to the show brother!

OsWiZzLe

Some people like the extra potency from the CMH, not everyone grows to sell. Not to mention the trim is great for bubble hash... asshole... where's your pics?

Looking good satusquo... The plants look happy and healthy.

Look at when CMH first became popular..a few years ago...i was one of the first people online to call them bunk...and to this day I stand by my comments...i used almost 2000 watts of CMH and guess what it sucks....Its a newbie move to use it over HPS....CMH is not meant for growing cannabis:tiphat:

Follow my threads if growing dank is your objective :tiphat:

bobblehead

Veteran
lol... I use 600w USHIOs and I'm trying out some 600w DigiLux. I've grown with the 400cmh, noticed considerably more trich production and yes more leaf. Like I said, the trim makes good bubble. I wouldn't call using CMH a mistake. Some people grow with different goals in mind. Thanks for the negative rep asshole. I'll make it up in positive rep with this post 10x.

statusquo

Thanks for the support guys. And you are correct bobblehead on both accounts. I am not growing to sell and I wanted the extra potency and resin offered by the CMH. To me the difference is obvious but some think hps = cmh. My friend just grew out the same cuts of the big plants on the left. Mine already look significantly more frosty than his and they still have a month+ left. Also, just because more leafs result doesn't necessarily mean that the bud weight will be significantly reduced. In fact my past grow that I posted here with 800W cmh yielded nicely.

Good call on the strips, might give that a try next time I go to home depot :)

bobblehead

Veteran
bro, if my patients knew what was good for them, they would demand that I grow only with CMH or MH... lol and refuse to buy purple weed! lol... The opposite is true. They want the densest most rock hard purple nugs I can grow... Gotta give em what they ask for, so I'm growing them some purple skunks... If it was up to me I'd have a room full of long flowering sativas... That shit is trippy. Anyway, keep growing for your goals.

bro, if my patients knew what was good for them, they would demand that I grow only with CMH or MH... lol and refuse to buy purple weed! lol... The opposite is true. They want the densest most rock hard purple nugs I can grow... Gotta give em what they ask for, so I'm growing them some purple skunks... If it was up to me I'd have a room full of long flowering sativas... That shit is trippy. Anyway, keep growing for your goals.

I use 600W dual arcs (stacked in a cooltube); they're pretty effective (2/3HPS, 1/3MH in every bulb).

Any 2-1 mixture of HPS/MH is pretty solid, IMO.

Never ran CMH and never will because 400W is just a touch too small for me (and they'll never make them bigger than that because it'd be too dangerous).

statusquo

Ravi, I thought Phillips explicitly said that they would be making a bigger CMH? 600W IIRC - they said it around 2007 I think. Either way, I agree that you have an effective setup as well and 400 is small. However, don't knock it till ya try it =P. Even though it's only 400W I have been able to get the bulbs closer to the plants (exponential decrease with distance means this is important) and the better spectrum seems to result in more usable light for the plants.

For the room, 400s are perfectly fine. Here is a pic of the strawberry cough; it doesn't really show how crazy the white pistils are. They are the thickets ones I have ever seen and there is something quite beautiful that I can't put my finger on. Also the smell is amazing.
Funny story: the leaf damage you see on this plant and others was because my friend drove 4 plants to my house in huge boxes that were already 3 weeks into flowering! Get this: HE DIDN'T TIE THEM DOWN ON THE WAY OVER AND TWO FELL OUT OF HIS TRUCK! Fucking guy didn't even realize it until he got here...sketch rofl.
picture.php

Ravi, I thought Phillips explicitly said that they would be making a bigger CMH? 600W IIRC - they said it around 2007 I think. Either way, I agree that you have an effective setup as well and 400 is small. However, don't knock it till ya try it =P. Even though it's only 400W I have been able to get the bulbs closer to the plants (exponential decrease with distance means this is important) and the better spectrum seems to result in more usable light for the plants.

For the room, 400s are perfectly fine. Here is a pic of the strawberry cough; it doesn't really show how crazy the white pistils are. They are the thickets ones I have ever seen and there is something quite beautiful that I can't put my finger on. Also the smell is amazing.
Funny story: the leaf damage you see on this plant and others was because my friend drove 4 plants to my house in huge boxes that were already 3 weeks into flowering! Get this: HE DIDN'T TIE THEM DOWN ON THE WAY OVER AND TWO FELL OUT OF HIS TRUCK! Fucking guy didn't even realize it until he got here...sketch rofl.
picture.php

Nah dude, I'm not one of those assholes who says "you're only running 175/250/400 watts, you're a joke" - just for my personal setup, 400s don't fit (and no matter how well the light works, it'll be too far from my plants).

My original setup was 5.5' diameter with four 600s; I've since switched that down to a 3' diameter, and I still want more light :)

EDIT: I use a cooltube because I run a sealed room and didn't wanna have a multiple ton AC running to keep my room cool, so that sucks some light as well.

Gonna try four 1Ks on a flip flop next.

And I was incorrect; they *might* make a 600W version, but the amount of pressure inside of a 1000W version is totally unsafe - "Based on what Tom told me...there will never be a 1000w version of this bulb...mainly because of safety. The amount of pressure inside one of these things would blow it through a wall! And the element retains heat for so long that in their experiments...they intentionally blew one up and the fragments burned the concrete floor."*

*Ripped from a thread at CW.

EDIT: and if you stack enough bulbs so that it's closer to line source light than point source light, your lux loss becomes linear and not exponential :)

That's why I stack my lights :)

statusquo

And I was incorrect; they *might* make a 600W version, but the amount of pressure inside of a 1000W version is totally unsafe - "Based on what Tom told me...there will never be a 1000w version of this bulb...mainly because of safety. The amount of pressure inside one of these things would blow it through a wall! And the element retains heat for so long that in their experiments...they intentionally blew one up and the fragments burned the concrete floor."*

*Ripped from a thread at CW.

EDIT: and if you stack enough bulbs so that it's closer to line source light than point source light, your lux loss becomes linear and not exponential :)

That's why I stack my lights :)
Interesting! Thanks for the information/update. Could you explain the line source and stacking bulbs bit for ignorant people like me? :) Also, what is CW? Just curious.