What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Statusquo's Garden Vertical - CMH/HPS

statusquo

Up to Date Info/Pics:
So there's been some serious lag and some serious setbacks, but I finally have the setup up and running. There is still some improvements to be made but as of now, there is a 600W HPS bare-bulb-vertical with (2) 400W CMH vbb, one on each side of the HPS.
Big 5gal pots: Green Crack x OG Kush, Skywalker OG and K2.
3.2 gallon plastic pots: Highlighter's "Honey White Bx2" (the white x highend I think) & CSG's "Chem Wreck Kush" [(chemdog male bx2) x (og kush x trainwreck)].
3 gallon smart pots: Sour Dubble, Tahoe OG, Aliendawg (ether cut), Albert Walker, SSSDH, Chem-D, Hogs Breath

Here's the most recent shot of all the girls.
picture.php

Let me know if you have any questions and please, I am all ears and in terms of suggestions and complaints :)

Original Post:
Greetings fellow ICmaggers. I have been a long time member/lurker and have done a few grows. I have only documented one previous grow on this site however. I have learned almost everything I know from this site and have a great deal of respect for many of the members here. Many people in the SD Cuts thread provide me with motivation and labtech's setup was definitely an inspiration and will be used as a guideline :)

I will be moving into the house tomorrow and will take pictures of the walk-in closet. I plan on fully documenting this grow for myself and for others to learn. I have a little over 8ft of height to work with and about a 6x7ft rectangle. I plan on having a veg area, clone/mother area and flower area.

The vertical setup is going to probably use all 8 feet, looking for input on this BTW, and I will do two 400W CMH's for the first two tiers and the top tear nearest the exhaust will be a 600W HPS. I will get an intake fan to draw in cool air from a northwest facing shaded area. Living in San Diego, do you guys think I will be able to barebulb with a 6" inline exhaust + 4" inline intake. I plan on grouping the different tiers based on sativa/indica/cash crop from the bottom up.

As for strains, I have access to many dank strains down here in SoCal especially being close to PNC (people's nursery collective). Only thing I am worried about is that clones are almost always infected with mites/fungi/PM so I am thinking about going from seed just to keep the garden clean. Any input guys? I know I could treat/cure/keep any problems under control I just don't know if i want to go through all the trouble.

As for the equipment the only thing I will need to buy is a quantum 600W HPS ballast/bulb and the wood to build the frame. Also I plan on buying some CFLs for the clone/veg area.

I am shooting to pull a quarter of the crop every 2 weeks. If we assume .8 GPW, I should be able to pull 10oz every 2 weeks after all said and done. Thinking about doing 6 plants in ~3.5 gallon buckets. Would also like some input on this.

Thanks for the taking the time to read and contribute guys - I will make sure to do the same tomorrow!

Feel free to offer up any suggestions everything is still in the drawing phase and I am still flexible.

labtec

Sounds awesome statusquo. I bet if you tried to just angle that intake ducting right up at the bulbs, you probably wouldn't have a problem with heat, you might not need a fan blowing up then either. I'm sure you've thought of this already. It just might work, and is the easiest thing to do. You're going to run your lights at night, right?

statusquo

Great suggestion, certainly hadn't thought of it! I have been reading like a BEAST: grow logs, stickys, books. I am about to start construction (after i have a final draft - only have primary drafts ATM) but would like the community's input before I embark. I want the benefit of your guys' experience! :)

I am thinking of having the intake somehow blow the fresh cool air up the column of lights instead of having a separate fan for that.
As for running at night...I will only do this when necessary. If I can pull it off having lights on during the day, without AC, then I will. If not I suppose I will have to run at night! In the winter I plan on exhausting in my house with windows ajar in the house. I don't have a heater so the bulbs will heat the house plus there won't be hot air being directly exhausted into the environment for LEO to pick up on. U-haul is on its way, moving today!

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
What up Statusquo.

Congrats on the move.

I am shooting to pull a quarter of the crop every 2 weeks. If we assume .8 GPW, I should be able to pull 10oz every 2 weeks after all said and done. Thinking about doing 6 plants in ~3.5 gallon buckets. Would also like some input on this.

Hey Man, no offense here, i'm pulling for you but this seems high. Not that this is not doable but i think it will be hard to get 10z / 2 weeks with only 6 plants. They are going to need a long veg time (and some solid watts in veg) and bigger pots. I myself run 4 gallon pots and get them pretty big but i think you will need more veg time then me (and i could go larger). My humble suggestion is to put 1 400 cmh in veg, use 5 gallon buckets and add one new plant at about 16 - 22 inches tall every 2 weeks into flower. Then you will be rocking 1000 total flower watts 600hps and 400 cmh... is that correct? If you want to get the cycle happening faster you can run more plants. remember that the plant count laws here have been stuck down as unconstitutional. Not that you should run too many. of course just enough for your personal needs.

From the 1000w i think you can expect 1# to 1.5# (i'm new to vert too so i have a tendency to shoot a little low.) Divide that by the 8 weeks ave flower cycle. 16 oz / 8 = 2 ounces a week. 4 oz every 2 weeks. or 24 oz / 8 = 3 ounces a week. 6 every 2 weeks.

Either way. You will be in the green soon.

I'll be tagging along to check the progress of this one.

statusquo

It's going to be six plants per tier ;) so I am thinking 18 total plants. Thanks for stopping in! I am at my old place now waiting for a router to setup in the new place. Once I have internet over there I'll start posting some pictures.

labtec

How's the new place working out? Have you started building anything yet? I'm looking forward to checking out your setup.

statusquo

Still settling in Just got internet. We have to termite bomb the house so I don't know if I want to start setting up indoor immediately. I have some seedlings outdoors that are a few weeks old. I will update with pictures soon! Just been super busy haha, sorry. Also I am still toying withy different lighting setups. Might do two cabs - 2 400's/ 2 600's. Run the 800W CMH chamber during the day and the 1200W HPS chamber at night.

real ting

Doesn't sound like a bad plan at all. Are you using a seperate veg area?

One thing that stuck out when reading your plan, a more powerful exhaust fan and no intake might work well, utilizing negative pressure to get fresh air into the box. You would still have to run ducting for the intake, just don't attach it to fan.

Why not mix up the cmh and hps chambers? So you have 1 hps and 1 cmh in each? Although the way you described would be a pretty good way to compare and contrast hps and cmh.

statusquo

I would mix the bulbs if I could find an ideal way to situate them. Every bulb orientation I could think of wastes light. With just 1 bulb completely surrounded by plants, all 360 degrees, you are totally maximizing the utility of your light and that is the point of vertical! (for me at least haha)

I just got back from the cruz and my friend gave me a two cuts - allen wrench and trainwreck. He was running some crazy purple kush when I was up there but didn't have any clones available. House is getting termite bombed in a week then I will start the indoor process. The outdoor is going well though :) haha

As for passive cooling...I tried to do passive intake on my old 4x4 tent where I was running 2 400W CMH's horizontally. It worked but temps were high...too high especially if there are going to be any 600's. I am thinking about using a swamp cooler if anybody has any input on this (like whether or not this raises the humidity to inappropriate levels etc) let me know :)

statusquo

Hey sorry about the crazy delays guys; I've been out of town and just busy overall. I have been working on the room (got outdoor going on as well) and had some questions for the community. The room is almost ready for me to start adding lights and what not. I took out the carpet, termite bombed the house, cut out a space for a window AC and took out all the shelves in there. Also put in a 20amp breaker just for the room (house is very old, this was necessary). I will cut the exhaust holes as soon as I know what kind of lighting I am going to run.

So what kind of lighting would you guys recommend I run? I am totally flexible as I haven't purchased anything yet in regards to lighting. My concerns are:
1. I need to be able to water/reach the all the plants.
2. Correct amount of wattage/intensity for the space given.

Here is what the room looks like. It is about 8x5x8
picture.php

Another random question:
I have (2) 400W horizontal CMH. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use these vertically? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I bought a KIS tea brewer and a cheap blender (9 dollars on amazon - single serve) for mixing raw neem and the plants absolutely love both. Highly recommended

statusquo

Alright guys so I'm back! Well to this thread at least - the vert had to take a pause while I dealt with some life stuff and my outdoor. Now that both of those are taken care of, my vert is underway. Seeing that I have little money, for this grow I will need to be very efficient with my money. I can't afford to buy anything that's not 'necessary' for top grade.

I ended up germing 10 Chem Wreck Kushes (CWK) and 10 HoneyWhites. The CWK is [(Trainwreck x OG Kush) x (Chemdawg D bx2 male)] from the ICmag winner section/connoisseur section on the bay. The HW bx2 is The White (tri cut) x Highend from Highlighter. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=108969&page=9
Check out the next few pages of Chaco's phenos. For <30 bucks for 15 seeds, this was a steal. Popped the beans on 10/10 and they are under 64 watts of t8 flouros. All my chem's popped and 7/10 HW popped successfully - had two that breeched the soil but didn't do much.

The plan is to have one 1K HPS vertically hanging and then use my two 400W CMH's horizontally over the two shorter rows - I am doing a stadium type grow with two levels per side in a rectangle around the vertical 1k bulb. I would like to do a pure vertical and stack 600's but I just can't afford to buy a bunch of ballasts/lights and I already have to CMH setups. In regards to circulation, I have an AC with fan settings that will serve as an intake (also very small cracks/holes for air to get in) and I am going to use a 6" Panasonic fan or 4" vortex fan with a carbon scrubber for exhaust. Probably just going to exhaust up into the attic seeing that we are in SD and my 12/12 will be on during the day. For the veg I am going to use 400W of CMH for the first half and then add the second and then go into flower. After this first grow I will make a few modifications and turn the whole room into a self contained perpetual system.

HW veg @ 21 days after germ (notice the college course catalog serving an actually useful purpose for once haha)
picture.php

CWK @ 21 days after germ
picture.php

statusquo

Finally got everything together and the room setup. Serious lag time and a few setbacks but it looks like things are going nicely. This is my first vert grow and first grow over 1k watts. Exciting stuff :) Not to mention I was fortunate enough to find some super legit clones!

End of Veg for HW and CWK
picture.php

CWK, HW and all the other ladies listed in first post:
picture.php

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Congrats on the new room, Looks awesome!!

Best thoughts with you on your grow neibor, I am also in SD verting out a walk in closet while running hor CMH vert...lol

Cheers

statusquo

Congrats on the new room, Looks awesome!!

Best thoughts with you on your grow neibor, I am also in SD verting out a walk in closet while running hor CMH vert...lol

Cheers

Nice didn't know you were in SD! I was actually reading your thread right before I updated mine :) Lookin' good.

@red: seriously...I was laggin' big time...stoner...school...work...things haha. Anyways looks like I'm underway so we'll see. Hopefully one day my setup will resemble yours; your threads were what inspired me to go vert/bigger :tiphat:

bobblehead

Veteran
Looks real nice... IDK how cold your cement floor is right now, but you might want to elevate those pots an inch or two... :) Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Latest posts