No announcement yet.

Statusquo's Garden Vertical - CMH/HPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking great status brother, you know if we dont feed the troll, they will starve to death lol

on to the show brother!

Share The Love, Spread The Wealth!

Comment

Originally posted by bobblehead View Post
      Some people like the extra potency from the CMH, not everyone grows to sell. Not to mention the trim is great for bubble hash... asshole... where's your pics?

Looking good satusquo... The plants look happy and healthy.
      Look at when CMH first became popular..a few years ago...i was one of the first people online to call them bunk...and to this day I stand by my comments...i used almost 2000 watts of CMH and guess what it sucks....Its a newbie move to use it over HPS....CMH is not meant for growing cannabis

Follow my threads if growing dank is your objective

Comment

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....29#post1804429

Have a nice day....

Comment

lol... I use 600w USHIOs and I'm trying out some 600w DigiLux. I've grown with the 400cmh, noticed considerably more trich production and yes more leaf. Like I said, the trim makes good bubble. I wouldn't call using CMH a mistake. Some people grow with different goals in mind. Thanks for the negative rep asshole. I'll make it up in positive rep with this post 10x.

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. And you are correct bobblehead on both accounts. I am not growing to sell and I wanted the extra potency and resin offered by the CMH. To me the difference is obvious but some think hps = cmh. My friend just grew out the same cuts of the big plants on the left. Mine already look significantly more frosty than his and they still have a month+ left. Also, just because more leafs result doesn't necessarily mean that the bud weight will be significantly reduced. In fact my past grow that I posted here with 800W cmh yielded nicely.

Good call on the strips, might give that a try next time I go to home depot
            San Diego. 215.
            1.4K CMH/HPS Vert: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175212

Comment

bro, if my patients knew what was good for them, they would demand that I grow only with CMH or MH... lol and refuse to buy purple weed! lol... The opposite is true. They want the densest most rock hard purple nugs I can grow... Gotta give em what they ask for, so I'm growing them some purple skunks... If it was up to me I'd have a room full of long flowering sativas... That shit is trippy. Anyway, keep growing for your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by bobblehead View Post
                bro, if my patients knew what was good for them, they would demand that I grow only with CMH or MH... lol and refuse to buy purple weed! lol... The opposite is true. They want the densest most rock hard purple nugs I can grow... Gotta give em what they ask for, so I'm growing them some purple skunks... If it was up to me I'd have a room full of long flowering sativas... That shit is trippy. Anyway, keep growing for your goals.
                I use 600W dual arcs (stacked in a cooltube); they're pretty effective (2/3HPS, 1/3MH in every bulb).

Any 2-1 mixture of HPS/MH is pretty solid, IMO.

Never ran CMH and never will because 400W is just a touch too small for me (and they'll never make them bigger than that because it'd be too dangerous).

Comment

Ravi, I thought Phillips explicitly said that they would be making a bigger CMH? 600W IIRC - they said it around 2007 I think. Either way, I agree that you have an effective setup as well and 400 is small. However, don't knock it till ya try it =P. Even though it's only 400W I have been able to get the bulbs closer to the plants (exponential decrease with distance means this is important) and the better spectrum seems to result in more usable light for the plants.

For the room, 400s are perfectly fine. Here is a pic of the strawberry cough; it doesn't really show how crazy the white pistils are. They are the thickets ones I have ever seen and there is something quite beautiful that I can't put my finger on. Also the smell is amazing.
                  Funny story: the leaf damage you see on this plant and others was because my friend drove 4 plants to my house in huge boxes that were already 3 weeks into flowering! Get this: HE DIDN'T TIE THEM DOWN ON THE WAY OVER AND TWO FELL OUT OF HIS TRUCK! Fucking guy didn't even realize it until he got here...sketch rofl.
                  San Diego. 215.

Comment

Originally posted by statusquo View Post
                    Ravi, I thought Phillips explicitly said that they would be making a bigger CMH? 600W IIRC - they said it around 2007 I think. Either way, I agree that you have an effective setup as well and 400 is small. However, don't knock it till ya try it =P. Even though it's only 400W I have been able to get the bulbs closer to the plants (exponential decrease with distance means this is important) and the better spectrum seems to result in more usable light for the plants.

For the room, 400s are perfectly fine. Here is a pic of the strawberry cough; it doesn't really show how crazy the white pistils are. They are the thickets ones I have ever seen and there is something quite beautiful that I can't put my finger on. Also the smell is amazing.
                    Funny story: the leaf damage you see on this plant and others was because my friend drove 4 plants to my house in huge boxes that were already 3 weeks into flowering! Get this: HE DIDN'T TIE THEM DOWN ON THE WAY OVER AND TWO FELL OUT OF HIS TRUCK! Fucking guy didn't even realize it until he got here...sketch rofl.
                    Nah dude, I'm not one of those assholes who says "you're only running 175/250/400 watts, you're a joke" - just for my personal setup, 400s don't fit (and no matter how well the light works, it'll be too far from my plants).

My original setup was 5.5' diameter with four 600s; I've since switched that down to a 3' diameter, and I still want more light

EDIT: I use a cooltube because I run a sealed room and didn't wanna have a multiple ton AC running to keep my room cool, so that sucks some light as well.

Gonna try four 1Ks on a flip flop next.

And I was incorrect; they *might* make a 600W version, but the amount of pressure inside of a 1000W version is totally unsafe - "Based on what Tom told me...there will never be a 1000w version of this bulb...mainly because of safety. The amount of pressure inside one of these things would blow it through a wall! And the element retains heat for so long that in their experiments...they intentionally blew one up and the fragments burned the concrete floor."*

*Ripped from a thread at CW.

EDIT: and if you stack enough bulbs so that it's closer to line source light than point source light, your lux loss becomes linear and not exponential

That's why I stack my lights

Comment

Originally posted by Ravi Singh View Post
                      And I was incorrect; they *might* make a 600W version, but the amount of pressure inside of a 1000W version is totally unsafe - "Based on what Tom told me...there will never be a 1000w version of this bulb...mainly because of safety. The amount of pressure inside one of these things would blow it through a wall! And the element retains heat for so long that in their experiments...they intentionally blew one up and the fragments burned the concrete floor."*

*Ripped from a thread at CW.

EDIT: and if you stack enough bulbs so that it's closer to line source light than point source light, your lux loss becomes linear and not exponential

That's why I stack my lights
                      Interesting! Thanks for the information/update. Could you explain the line source and stacking bulbs bit for ignorant people like me? Also, what is CW? Just curious.
                      San Diego. 215.

Comment

The more bulbs you stack (up to an infinite amount), the more your light source resembles line source light vs. a single bulb, which is obviously point source light.

CW is cannabis world dot org.

Here's a link that explains it - equations are in the middle of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Comment

So the three plants I put through hell have spider mites! :( I caught them relatively early and hit them with some spectracide about 7 days ago and then hit them again 2 nights ago. The plants look ok....they are still frosting up but the growth is definitely more sparse and I am worried about the spread.

Do you guys think I should just cull the three plants that have the infestations and let them finish up outside as to not risk contaminating the rest of my room/crop? I also have some raw neem oil that I could treat them with in addition to the spectracide. I figure a rigorous two prong attack should do the trick but I am hesitant to risk it....Ill try and post some pics up soon (sick and healthy alike).
                          San Diego. 215.

Comment

Once in flower, I like to use Spinosad and/or pyrithrin. Switch off with the two every day for one week and they will all be gone. If you can spray your plants at all, it will help to spray them off an hour after treatment to get rid of carcasses, eggs, and any residue.
                            Mites are born ready to lay eggs, and I think they are close to 3 day cycles.
                            Neem tends to lose it's effectiveness throughout the grow, and it tastes nasty when left on flowers.

Oz is just upset that his shit lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by statusquo View Post
                              So the three plants I put through hell have spider mites! :( I caught them relatively early and hit them with some spectracide about 7 days ago and then hit them again 2 nights ago. The plants look ok....they are still frosting up but the growth is definitely more sparse and I am worried about the spread.

Do you guys think I should just cull the three plants that have the infestations and let them finish up outside as to not risk contaminating the rest of my room/crop? I also have some raw neem oil that I could treat them with in addition to the spectracide. I figure a rigorous two prong attack should do the trick but I am hesitant to risk it....Ill try and post some pics up soon (sick and healthy alike).
                              Chances are if you see them on 3 of your plants, they've already laid their eggs elsewhere... My Friend gave me the LVPK, and the mites didn't show up for several weeks, but when they did... BAM! I threw out the visually infected clones... And then a few more weeks later, and more mites...

Personally, I got on eBay, and bought some forbid for $20 from a reseller, and I haven't seen them since... You can only use it on vegging plants though.

Spinosad works great on thrips...

Comment

Spinosad also kills mites fast. I was a bit apprehensive about it's effectiveness on mites, but I have proven it's worth to myself with some tests.

IMO, Pyritherin is probably the very best product on the market for spider mites. It is very benign and leaves NO taste or smell. Pyritherin is very, very expensive though...as there are not concentrates available and we can usually only purchase pre-mixed solutions, which end up costing lots of coin if you have a considerable sized grow.
                                Pyritherin works to kill the mites almost immediately on contact, and if you continue the regimen daily for a week there will be no mites left.
                                Plants that look unaffected by the critters also need to be treated right along with the infested plants.

Prevention is the best method, but once they come they are easy to get rid of. I can't hardly see many reasons I would cull or throw out a plant simply because some mites invited themselves over. Simply show them the door and continue on.

Comment

Working...
                                X