What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vert Baby!!!

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Nice work, GM. I'm 4 weeks into my first attempt at vert right now, 12 Highland Guerreran x B130 Blueberries in a circle around a bare 1K HPS, and I've never seen so many budsites. I'm dreading the trimming once it's done, but I think we're actually going to get us a yield here. It's a fucking Bundt cake jungle of Guerreroberry.

Bummer about the Chocolope, I'm really looking forward to giving that a go, been sitting on the cutting for a while. I had some of the last Chocolate Thai to come around back in '87, and I'll never forget it. Can't wait to see if the Chocolope lives up to the hype.

your veg pic shows a horizontal light. you are obviously debunking the myth that to get good results bloomin in vert, that you have to veg in vert.

good. maybe i can just switch the light in my bloom room now to vert. went vert already in one veg room, thinking i had to do it. no matter. i have as many plants in my vert room now as i had in horizontal before, except now they are in bigger pots and have the opportunity to grow bigger. should work out better.

thanks for that.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Jeez, I cant remember, I remember it was a little better than non-vert, but a lot of smaller buds too. I think for vert its best to have the right strain you want and have it dialed in. the plastic fence stuff is a must or they all fall on the lights. its good for stretchy sativaish plants with long internode spaces and not as much leaves, the pure and og kush worked real well, and you can load it full of plants and have the branches weaving in n out the plastic mesh. Not so good for the affgooey or plants with short branches and little stretch as the backsides wouldnt fill out and kind of a waste. That is for the kind I did, if you got one uh them machines or sumfa with sites all over the place for plants then small indicas would me better, but I only had two-three levels tops. Im back to regular for now cuz Im growin a whole bunch of short indicas, but all n all I liked the experience.

well great, it seems i have the wrong set up as well for vert now. most of my plants are indicas. and worse yet, i have topped all of them a month or more back and they are quite bushy. even my sativa crosses i am trying to grow big have been topped because i needed to make mothers.

my buddy whose growing vert said DONT top them. well this was way after i already did. it would be nice, i know, to lash them down in horizontal, but i dont have room for that because i have so many plants. my idea was grow lots smaller, but my smaller plants are not so great because they are not stretching very much at all! even under 1K. so i'm growing them bigger. i have had to lollypop the hell out of them to get good buds. i thought going vert will get big buds down low..

at any rate, i am going to keep on keepin' on, because i have all my plants in bigger pots so therefor, just from that, will get bigger plants. i might just flip my vert room, rather than change my first bloom room over to vert, i still have so many 16" plants. but i could add tables behind the second row on milk crates i have (first row is on the floor), and put in a third row. hmmm,

i have got to get away from having over 100 plants, in case i ever get busted. i want to end up like yosemite sam with under the 'legal' limit. but then, he is using 20 gallon smart pots for each plant. over three years and still in the learning process. talk about a learning curve.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I don't think it is a total loss, you'll have some bushy Indicas but thats why I use a trellis to train them into I actually topped a few this run JUST to see what would happen and I am getting like 4-5 donkey d*ck colas per plant so (shrug) it's all good, and since you have the in bigger pots you'll still end up with some BIG bushes lol.

Good luck brother!

toohighmf

Veteran
Soooo... I would have figure'd the shorter indicas would of faired better than the sativas.
I would think a single cola plant would outyeild a stringy bush. what are you feeding all those strains? what PPM?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Those strains were fed with the canna line used as directed, plus gravity at week 6, and budswell liquid bat guano all through flower. Im sure in a different setup with more levels that indicas would do better, cuz you could have 5-6 levels of plants and just have a bunch of top colas, but for me only having 2 levels the stretchier plants did real good. the pure kush and sour grapes especially yielded way better than they ever have for me in a regular setup. my affgooy hated it tho, and never developed full buds which was odd. I prolly run vertical again when I get more space for it, or if i ever invest in one of them machines they got, forget what it called, with like 120 sites... that would be perfect for growing indicas with fat single colas all around the light.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
another thing I will do if I go vert again is do all one kind of strain or 2 tops, cuz having a bunch of different strains really didnt work to well. a lot of the bigger plants would shade out the smaller strains and also some areas would be more filled out then others, the one side with all pure kush was killin tho.