What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

This is how a man can guarantee himself of the very best advise of the very best growers on the forums. Your intentions serve your close ones well. Your product will also. I have no doubts.

But you want to dehumidfy below 55% in late flower. Budrot could ruin it all. The temperature you aim at is just perfect.

When you are going on with those seeds. I.m.e. the upper nodes 5 and a few up are the most productive nodes. So far I only sew Northern light feminised seeds. This just got my attention and perhaps you can use a bit of this information. I do want to mark that I do not know anything of those seeds you are going to use...

Best of luck and looking forward to reading your thread!

:wave:

mg75

the pic in the first post where it illustrates a circular vertical garden, is somewhat wrong. even a 1000w HPS bare bulb does not have the intensity to cover more than 3-4 ft vertically. i have checked this using a light meter. once you go above the lamp's base, the intensity drops off considerably. also about 12 inches below the lamp is where it drops off as well.
i know people like heath and others grew 6 ft trees using 600s and what not. i am just saying that in a scientific, light meter readings, the bulb does not maintain its out put beyond the said distances stated above.
i believe that a vscrog of a 4x4 is the best solution and can potentially produce 4lbs per 1000w using only 4 plants around the light. this way, the canopy is full and all the "sweet spot" light intensity is directed at the buds.
circular around the light is good... but not 8ft high unless you have 2 or even 3 stacked lights.

vman

Hey all!
After few runs, I have a little question about optimisation for bulbs with low light penetration. I used to put my V-scrog at the farest limit (250w) to maximise area. But I see a lot of setups with little diameters, very close to the bulb. Am I wrong? I though compensate for low light exposure with the biggest area allowed, but maybe my yield would be better with less area and more light exposure?

vman

Nobody can answer me? :)
I know, 250w setups aren't as sexy as 2k-NASA setups but I'm about to build a new one and I need some advices first.

I have 2 choices:
1- close to the bulb: better light exposure, less but bigger buds, flat donut (mostly used from what I saw)
2-at max range: more buds and space (also allows deeper v-scrog, stretching toward the bulb) but less light (like Hushem's, Dystopia's setup etc)

Theorically, 2nd choice seems better, but I see more grows using 1st choice... So I'm lost ^^
Maybe it's just a space issue?
1st choice needs a CT or a wire to prevent burning. Honestly, I don't like CT or wires between plants and light but if it's the best way, I'll make the effort :D

Peace!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
LOL... Thanks for the interest!

They are filled half way with regular PineSol

Please don't do this... unless your space vents out into open air.

Pine-Sol fumes are toxic. They cause lung damage. The fumes pool on floors and in low spots... pets and kids are harmed first as they're closer to the floor.

Be safe... use natural scented oils.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

G

guest121295

Don't go vert, you're life will be ruined.The lamps are annoying and they produce wayyyy too much bud from top to bottom.A disaster for one man who hates trimming.Every room I have is overgrown, over yielded, stop now while you still have a chance at a normal life...:)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Don't go vert, you're life will be ruined.The lamps are annoying and they produce wayyyy too much bud from top to bottom.A disaster for one man who hates trimming.Every room I have is overgrown, over yielded, stop now while you still have a chance at a normal life...:)

Thanks Chaco! :laughing:

That made my morning! :thank you:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran

I'm afraid he's right guys, is it really worth it for all that extra bud?

:D:D

it seemed like i got more plants under the same lite in a vert than in horizontal, but from when i harvested, i just dont see any difference between the two. i have switched one room back to horizontal for the last couple months and havent seen any difference the other direction either. i left one room in vert tho. i think mainly that having to put goggles on every time i go into a vert room, without seeing a whole lot of benefit from it, was too much pita for me to endure.

if it did result in the 'pita' of having too much more bud to trim, i would endure that, however. anyway, as per usual for MdeS, no matter what i do seems to make much of a difference in size, quality, anything, other than stripping the bottom half of the plant off really makes for bigger better colas up top. in vert my lower branches still were much smaller, i dont know why. i see real pros using both ways. if you go to the Hi P myth thread you see both Yosemite Sam (using vert) and Desert Squirrel (using horizontal) both smokin my nappy ass, so, personally don't think in matters a whit which way your bulb is hangin, any more than it matters if your pecker is hangin to the left or to the right.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Marquis, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad yield from your grow. Do you care to share any more information about it? Maybe we can help ya out a little, don't give up after your first time, like everything else it takes dialling.

HGO

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
if you go to the Hi P myth thread you see both Yosemite Sam (using vert) and Desert Squirrel (using horizontal) both smokin my nappy ass, so, personally don't think in matters a whit which way your bulb is hangin.

You're quite correct, the orientation of the lamp will not make your grow magically super efficient.

Not all strains perform well in vertical, just like not all strains scrog well.

Question.... Have you had consistent harvests with any grow setup or strain yet? Where you did the same thing each run and came out with approximately the same yield? Consistency in method and feed is vital to high yielding results.

You have two choices here... You can work on improving your horizontal grows until you've dialed your strains in horizontally and are getting consistent yield and then switch to vertical.

OR

You can hang in there with vertical and keep dialing it in until you get consistent harvests in it.

Either way, what you learn about feed and growth of your particular strains is going to increase you final yields.

Personally I'd grab a pair of welder's shades and stick with vert. :D Just sick when it's dialed in. :tiphat:

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

LittleBuds

I just wanted to share with you this little graphic I made.

I was comparing a vert vs horizontal bulb setup in the same size box. This is for a 600W bulb, the canopy is 8" from the bulb.

vertqk.jpg

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Nice graphic :D

There is a bit of a difference with the reflector being used in the horizontal grows. The lighting can be more intense from the same wattage lamp..... then again, bleaching is more common. Lamp distance is handled during initial construction when doing vert.

Gotta love it. :D

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Id never go back to horizontal, i dont see how anyone could get comparable yields. Ive been at this shit for over a year and i still cant max out my growspace.

When i see 'wall' instead of 'green', i know i could can still do better!

Bamboo Stakes and Zipties!

E

ekomsi

Oh shit, looks like I'm fucked, Thanks for the warning CHACO :tiphat:

I run a 6kw+ garden normally just simple ebb n grow buckets on the floor using horizontal hoods but my most recent investment is a vertical socket :jump: for an extra 600W digilux I have laying around.

Just so happens I have 4 Big Mothers that have outgrown the veg room so they need to be flowered asap. I made a little room in my 16ftx8ft main room for these ladies.

Each plant has atleast 4 main branches that I took and tied to bamboo trying to make them a straight line but each plant kinda ended up in a curve almost making a full circle around the bulb.

Should I keep the plants a ft away from the bare bulb? More or Less???? I don't want to burn down the house lol.

They having been in flower for less then a week.

Attachments

• SAM_1200.jpg
    SAM_1200.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 23
  • SAM_1192.jpg
    SAM_1192.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 25
  • SAM_1196.jpg
    SAM_1196.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 24
  • SAM_1201.jpg
    SAM_1201.jpg