What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

420stoner

i want to grow vertical with a 400 or 600 watt bulb. what are the stuff that you still need for vertical growing for example on vertical grows you dont need a reflector.
what are the things you dont need & do need for vertical grows?

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
420stoner, are you planning on a sog or a bare bulb with 6-10 plant's around a bulb? You will defo need a floor fan.

CyrilSneer

Maybe we need a name for it.

back blade....

rasta.gif
Chomp

:tiphat:

Shade stripping?

rear assault? :dunno:

Suspect

Veteran
I'm using a Philips 400W E40/645 HPI-T plus MH bulb and it requires an UV absorbing glass before it is good to plants.
My plants grow alright without it although I expected more of the bulb, could that be the reason, right now I'm running bare bulb vert.

Thoughts?

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I'm using a Philips 400W E40/645 HPI-T plus MH bulb and it requires an UV absorbing glass before it is good to plants.
My plants grow alright without it although I expected more of the bulb, could that be the reason, right now I'm running bare bulb vert.

Thoughts?

Get a 600w :D:D

Suspect

Veteran
Still the same problem with the UV output which isn't good for plants.
Found an empty cooltube lying around, perfect.

D

driftersmokinjo

Thinking of giving vert a try. I have a 600 and 400 hps horizontal. I was thinking i read somewhere that you need a universal bulb but can't seem to find that now :dunno: Is this so?
Also I run a perpetual flower room. Is this possible with out being a big pain in the ass with vertical?
My strains are a wide variety. Some indi dom and some sat dom..
should I run the 400 top or bottom?
I only have a 4'x7'x8'high flower room for now but am building a larger space that won't be ready for a few more months.
what style would be the most efficient use of this space? :tiphat:

gardenbug

Almost all hps bulbs are universal. I run a 600 on top and the 400 on bottom, it was what was suggested and seems to work fine. The plants are wider at the base so get closer to the bulb, so less wattage there seems like the way to go. The top buds naturally want to be the biggest ones, so more light up top seems like a good idea.

Incognegro

Thinking of giving vert a try. I have a 600 and 400 hps horizontal. I was thinking i read somewhere that you need a universal bulb but can't seem to find that now :dunno: Is this so?
Also I run a perpetual flower room. Is this possible with out being a big pain in the ass with vertical?
My strains are a wide variety. Some indi dom and some sat dom..
should I run the 400 top or bottom?
I only have a 4'x7'x8'high flower room for now but am building a larger space that won't be ready for a few more months.
what style would be the most efficient use of this space? :tiphat:

Some bulbs ARE direction specific, some are made to be run horizontal, and if not run properly may have ill effects, including destruction of said bulb.

D

driftersmokinjo

I'm gonna give vert a try when I get my new space ready in a few months. All tho I use my popcorn to make bobble hash. Guess I will limit myself to trim . Not a complete bad thing lol

clown baby

check out my vert!
600w hps SOG. odyssey strain.

3.5'x3.5' footprint.

getting fat colas all the way up.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Nice VSOG man, have you had a harvest yet? How does she produce? How much veg time? And how many plants? Sorry for all the questions :biglaugh:

clown baby

Nice VSOG man, have you had a harvest yet? How does she produce? How much veg time? And how many plants? Sorry for all the questions :biglaugh:

I'm still at least 3 weeks away from harvest.
This system is really nice. you can get really good penetration from a 600w on a whole lot of plants. I vegged for about a week, while some other clones were still rooting.
I am running 2 tiers, 18 plants per tier. 36 total.

Next run I will run 3 tiers, spaced a little closer together.
Using this system i think it will be really easy to get 1+ gpw.
when I run 3 tiers, it will definitely be more.

Running foxfarm tigerbloom as a base nutrient and some pk powder on top. about 1.4EC.

I want to start running this as a perpetual, and harvest 1 tier every 3 weeks

Snow Crash

Veteran
I don't have a thread here but wanted to drop off a look at my Vert setup.

1000w Eye Sunlux HPS in a 5x5 mylar tent. 400cfm 6" Hydrofarm fan with a 6"x16" Phresh filter and one 90 degree turn after the fan with about 8 feet of ducting. With the bulb close to the filter the temperature 12" away stays 3-5 degrees warmer than the intake when the fan is on high. Tent is inside of a 10x12 bedroom, heat is exhausted down the hallway, a 5,000btu window AC is on hand for hot days but the light schedule is during the night and a fan in the window is all that is required to keep the room temperatures under 74 degrees.

Plants are monster-cropped clones, scrogged using grow through plant supports that have been angled to take advantage of the lighting. Running Cutting Edge Solutions Micro/Bloom with Plant Amp, Uncle John's Blend, and Mag Amped. Also have been pushing Big Bud dry at 0.25ec (about 1g/gallon) and will start pushing Shooting powder here pretty soon. Grown in #3 SmartPots with Roots Organics Coco mix, watered twice per day with 40% runoff regularly (~1.5L in and >0.5L out).

I find my monster cropped clones generally have smaller flowers then my seed starts and "traditional" clones.

Attachments

• IMG_8221.jpg
    IMG_8221.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7966.jpg
    IMG_7966.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8057.jpg
    IMG_8057.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 32
Gtg SNow Crash! 1GPW is in your visor and more ahead of you if dial it in better!

..But I must say the setup already looks pretty good like this ;) I wonder what you want to improve n stuff. Your intake/outtake temp diffirence looks alright to me. After all you use a/c.

Is it necisairy to activelly cool your bulbs with those temp values?

Are you/Have you been humidifying your air to get it up to good VPD values?

Good luck towards your harvest man! Hopefully we get more updates of this :)

Snow Crash

Veteran
Gtg SNow Crash! 1GPW is in your visor and more ahead of you if dial it in better!

..But I must say the setup already looks pretty good like this ;) I wonder what you want to improve n stuff. Your intake/outtake temp diffirence looks alright to me. After all you use a/c.

Is it necisairy to activelly cool your bulbs with those temp values?

Are you/Have you been humidifying your air to get it up to good VPD values?

Good luck towards your harvest man! Hopefully we get more updates of this :)

Thanks for the interest man. 1 GPW is definitely the goal, but I'd take an even 900g any day. I have some tester beans on the way from Ocean Grown Genetics, Alien Dawg/Dog x Alien OG (Alien Dawg/dog x Tahoe OG) and I need to make sure I do right by those guys next time around. Not sure how many seeds they'll send me but I will probably just run them in the next grow. I should get the pack sometime this week and will be starting the seeds sometime around the 1st of August.

The goal for improvement:
Next time:

• Do a lot less training
  • Max out my legal plant count of 12 mature in flowering
  • Stronger main colas with fewer branches (I might top once and run "dual spires")
  • Using my idea of a coco hempy bucket. Perlite and GrowStones in the lower portion, then a 40/60 coco perlite mixture up top with the plant started in a 80/20 coco perlite mixture. Just makes good sense to me

Let me :artist:for you.

In the near future I'm trying to budget about $800 for a decent CO2 ppm meter/controller, 20lbs tank, and regulator to keep the grow completely contained and enhanced. Shortly after that I'll be adding a 4x8 tent (or so...) new lighting, and some other fun equipment. I think there are few things I could do to a little better to really stretch every watt to maximum benefit, like moving to digital 600w ballasts and getting an 8" fan with the same amperage as my 6". Every little bit will count towards the end. I figure that in a 4x8x7 with 12 plants in coco hempy's, 2400w of mixed spectrum set vertically, dialed in CO2ppm with humidity and temperature control, in that situation pulling 10lbs out of just 224cuft in under 90 days is completely possible. Now that is what I am talking about! If I'm going to drop 40kwh per day, (at a whopping cost of about $4.40 daily for me) then I want that energy getting maxed for me.

My brother is a Leukemia survivor, Aunt is a cervical cancer survivor, Grandmother is dealing with early stage intestinal cancer, other Grandmother died due to complications resulting from treatment for a recurrence of breast cancer. My neighbor's son died of a brain tumor at 3. A fraternity brother of mine died of one also at 20. I know so many survivors and patients, I mean, really REALLY close to me... I really treat this whole thing like medicine. The more medicine I can produce then the lower the cost when I move it on. If I spend... $300 on a grow in nutes and supplies and pull just 600g that's just $0.50 per gram, add in a little for time and power... but I really want to take that $300 plus power and turn it into 4500g. Compensate for the improvements and I can set up truly sick people with the compassionate care they need. As a hobby I love growing Cannabis. But as a human being I want to do what I can with this knowledge to help bring something good into the world. Not a $60 eighth at some dispensary with a shady ass name... I try to put aside a few hundred every month and will just add what I can when I can. Everyone wins!:comfort:

Testing the nutrients right now is the big thing and I am putting a lot of my hope into the shooting powder to reinitiate flowering again and fill out the buds. My previous grow from seed went EXCEEDINGLY well when I was running CNS 17 Ripe in combination with a little Cal-Mag Plus, Liquid Karma, and Big Bud Dry for a bit. I will probably go back to CNS 17 after this current grow given my magnesium issues on Cutting Edge Solutions and stay in coco.

Keeping the area cool is a top priority for me until the CO2 system is in place. I don't have the best control over the environment when the outside temperatures stop working with me but I can keep things close enough. Long ago I had a grower tell me that the perfect temperature is 75.6 degrees without CO2. I try to adhere as close to that as possible. Temperature sensors near the root zone in the shade are generally almost identical to the intake temperature (which is a bit low) while temperature sensors kept at a point just in front of the nearest leaf generally test 6-7 degrees higher. I work in a Goldilocks zone right now because the tent just isn't a large area to average out.

I have not been humidifying. Generally my humidity in the tent sticks around the Mid 50's, which is a touch on the low side, but reasonable. Right now I have the humidity in the mid-60's with the temps in the mid-70's and the girls are pretty happy with me. The climate where I am is pretty killer and I live basically in a forest which has it's own sort of environment control, staying both cool and moist.

Here's a pic from when I was running both a horizontal 1000w and a vertical 400wMH. I'm RIPPED right now and just realized I'm on ramble mode... :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_6958.jpg
    IMG_6958.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6865.jpg
    IMG_6865.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 26