What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EZ Cloner article saying ditch the dome

mexweed

Veteran
I am about to take some cuts that will be too big for the trays/domes I have and am planning to put them in small starter pots without a dome, I came across this while doing research, side by side dome vs no dome, I have lost smaller clones in the past when I transplanted out of the domed trays

https://www.ezclone.com/2015/05/05/...ng-humidity-domes-for-vegetative-propagation/

"Plants, like us humans, do not tolerate stress well. Vegetative propagation and transplanting are two of the most stressful times your plants will endure during their lifecycle. Limiting the amount of stress is ideal for the most fruitful growth. So, does a humidity dome limit the amount of stress and encourage abundant root growth in vegetative propagation?

After several rounds of testing and seeing results favoring one option over the other, we decided to elucidate the point by setting up a 14-day cloning cycle with two identical EZ-CLONE Classic Plant Cloning Systems. Using a variety of plants, we controlled for all other factors except for one: one system with a humidity dome and the control system without any covering. Confirming previous testing, not one of the cuttings performed better with the use of a humidity dome. The control system's cuttings exhibited more abundant root growth, longer roots with more developed secondary lateral growth and appeared to be less stressed, showing no signs of wilting. Moreover, the cuttings in the control system never wilted during their transplant into soil, unlike the cuttings that were propagated under a humidity dome.

When you take a cutting from a mother or donor plant, you are severing it from its life source. The absence of moisture being supplied to the cutting sends the cutting into a “fight or flight” scenario, a life or death decision as it tries to live on its own. It can choose the blue pill and continue its existence by propagating roots or has the option of the red pill, otherwise known as certain death. Increasing the level of humidity that surrounds the cutting with a humidity dome offers a layer of comfort and false protection, allowing the cuttings to still absorb their required moisture. Providing the cutting with all the moisture they require through a humid environment delays the response to sprout roots. When a cutting is sprouting roots, it is in search of moisture. The sooner you force your cuttings to seek out methods of survival on its own, the sooner it will recover from the stress of being sliced away from its mother.

Furthermore, the absence of a humidity dome delivers a double dose of shock and stress at once. I look at this as a two-for-one scenario. Once you’re already stressed, a little more isn’t going to kill you. By forcing the cutting to seek moisture on its own, the root structure will be forced to grow while the plant becomes acclimated to the open air. Think of this as a screening process: throwing your cuttings to the elements as they will not be living under a humidity dome their entire life. The sooner they become accustomed to the “real world”, the better off they will be. Survival of the fittest!

When you only deliver one stressor at a time to a cutting, you inevitably prolong the effects of each stressor. As soon as your cutting is getting over the stress of being clipped from its mother, you are shocking it again by transplanting it and removing the humidity dome. A cutting that has already coped with the stress of no humidity dome throughout the propagation process will be more ready for the outside world.

The use of a humidity dome during the traditional method of propagation is used to keep your medium wet. If the medium dries out, so will your cutting. But with aeroponic propagation, the proper ratio of air and water is already being delivered to the plant. Not only is the plant receiving enough moisture in an EZ-CLONE Classic System, but the moisture is being delivered to the portion of the plant that actually uptakes the moisture.

If you’re ready to take your cloning to the next level, remember to…Ditch the Dome!

Below, you can see three side-by-side comparisons of a 14 day cloning cycle with identical EZ-CLONE Classic 32 Plant Cloning Systems.

The control system (no humidity dome) as you probably guessed, are the cuttings on the right side of photos with more prolific root growth."

Last edited:

Max Q

I've had mixed results with ez cloner, including my current problem with a manifold that leaks so badly there is barely any pressure to the misters.... try to find replacement part anywhere...not available and ez-cloner is unresponsive to emails.... i wouldn't recommend based on my experience....

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have only used ez cloners for cloning for 12 years. I have NEVER used a dome. Nearly 100% every round.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had mixed results with ez cloner, including my current problem with a manifold that leaks so badly there is barely any pressure to the misters.... try to find replacement part anywhere...not available and ez-cloner is unresponsive to emails.... i wouldn't recommend based on my experience....

Really!? Ive had the opposite experience they have even replaced stuff for me within 24 hours when i indicated urgency. One of their pumps failed. I told them via email and i had a replacement pump shipped to me next day for free.

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings all, I haven't used the ez cloner yet but was planning to my next run probably. I would definitely suggest if you are emailing customer support you also check your spam folder and other folders because emails can sometimes go there and have on me plenty of times. Glad to hear it works good for some. Happy growing all.

mexweed

Veteran
... marketing!

yeah at first I was like but they literally come with a dome, then I looked at the actual product and realized I was thinking of similar setups with a dome

I am going to test a couple other things first, I took the cuts and put them in the domed tray like usual but I'm going to air them out twice a day and I also added an 1/8 tsp of an organic amendment mix to the soil slot

I know the dogma is no nutes means the roots grow faster searching for nutes, but I also think that taking away a nutrition source when there was one previously doesn't help and could contribute to yellowing and wilting, at least when going directly into soil

a problem I ran into before was right when roots started after about 10 days the cut looked like it wasn't going to be able to make it any longer

FletchF.Fletch

420club
They work Great. No Dome Needed. Just like any Hydro/Aero system, monitor and correct the ph and ec of the nutrient solution and you are good. Never had any problems at all. (Sorry if anyone else did) I do mist the cuttings a few times during the first couple of days.

prune

Veteran
Uhh, the EZcloner leaks enough humidity to create its own little microclimate, no dome needed...

ElGato

Veteran
I have only used ez cloners for cloning for 12 years. I have NEVER used a dome. Nearly 100% every round.

I use a home made Bubble cloner, but pretty much same as an EZ Cloner.

No Dome ever and my experience, like yours - nearly 100% rooted every time

I also don't use a water heater, nor do I PH the water in the cloner.

Veggia farmer

:bump:

Thanks, planned to try this on a similiar setup from nutriculture.

I found out using some nutes was better then none at my place..

G

Humidity is only going to draw root fungus up into the plant and start a competition for nutrients.

It's good to see a fraudulent bro-weed company growing up. Maybe more will be inspired to ditch their diapers and stop embarrassing the planet.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i made a bubbler with a tupper-ware container , and a pump - ez , cheap, and it works .... but even easier is a solo cup, with a punched hole an inch or so above the bottom, add perlite, water and position the cutting a touch above the hole... so far 100pct success with weed, and flowers and veggies.... my new way to clone...

hambre

Domes on cloners like those, as the very well known "flush to clean nutrients from the buds" is a myth.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Another ✔ in the homemade bubbler with no dome column... so simple, so cheap, as "organic" as you can get; water, air, non-direct light. 👍 Domes, as said, are counter intuitive and not need with this type of method.

Latest posts

Latest posts