What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

chemical seed scarification

44:86N

Super Info and thank you, The main point I was making is mixing 3% H202 with tap water is not effective. 44, do you have any problems with phytotoxicity on your greenhouse plants using Zerotol? What is the starting ppm and pH of the water before you add Zerotol?😎

That sounds reasonable -- there's a lot going on with electron valence, ect. -- I'm comfortable with accepting we don't really understand the whole process of what's going on.

I did not know/understand that H2O2 is both an oxidizer and a reactive compound, just depending.

H2O2 is some trippy shit, actually:

https://www.vedantu.com/chemistry/hydrogen-peroxide

I gave up on pH monitors a long time ago. Too much to mess around with, and they always frustrate me. That said, my range (using API Freshwater pH Test drops) is between 6.6 and 6.4. Coming out of the acid station, it's probably closer to 6.6. As you pointed out, the peroxyacetic acid helps to stabilize the pH. Not sure of overall ppm, but the well water has an EC (electroconductivity) of right around 0.81.

I do not like to use Zerotol or Sanidate 5.0 as foliar sprays. I've seen phytotoxic damage from that (OT: I had a Salvia divinorum plant a long time ago that LOVED a good H2O2 foliar spray down), and I kind of feel like the fungicidal properties are a little to the 'snake oil' side of things, but, as a continuous soil drench, or used during propagation, this stuff is worth the time and effort.

And here they come! So far 100% using H2O2 in my water supply (a very small amount --- there's 3.75oz./106.5ml of Sanidate 5.0 in 500 gallons of H2O total)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Friesland Babies.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	18039044

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That's not very muchSanidateper 500 gallons, however, it still can damage your eyes and skin on contact. One needs to be careful using some of those products. Always use eye protection around the misters and avoid skin contact. Is that a peat base substrate you are using, it looks good? Do you make your own potting mix or use bagged mixes 44 ?😎

No, it's not much, but it does what I want it to, which is disinfect the well water.

I know it works because at this latitude, during the winter, the wave length of the sunlight promotes algae growth on soil surfaces, especially plugs, which tend to be watered frequently. If I see some algae starting to grow, I will up the amount slightly to 4oz/120ml, which I am comfortable using. I have always assumed that it was the extra oxygen in the water that was helping to promote high germination and rooting rates, not the H2O2 itself. I have my share of failures, there are always uncontrollable variables at play, but they tend to occur infrequently. Before incorporating H2O2 into my commercial grow (ornamentals), I would over-sow my numbers just to absorb the losses. After H2O2, I worry more about having too many seedlings to take care of, and try harder to control my numbers.

The mix is Berger's BM2 Propagation Mix. We used to mix our own soils, but that takes time.

Glen Vowell

l bought a bottle of "Wright's Liquid Smoke" and went online to see reviews of it for something to do. 1 reviewer said he used it to help germinate seeds of plants that need a kiss of fire to germinate. Could this stuff diluted to proper strength as seen online in articles about using the stuff on stubborn seeds be used on old cannabis seeds to help pop them do you think?

No.

But I read online if you give yourself an enema with that stuff, your kisses will be like fire!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
All this h202 talk and I can't get anything at all except 3% in my state. 😂. Ridiculous rules here.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
No, it's not much, but it does what I want it to, which is disinfect the well water.

I know it works because at this latitude, during the winter, the wave length of the sunlight promotes algae growth on soil surfaces, especially plugs, which tend to be watered frequently. If I see some algae starting to grow, I will up the amount slightly to 4oz/120ml, which I am comfortable using. I have always assumed that it was the extra oxygen in the water that was helping to promote high germination and rooting rates, not the H2O2 itself. I have my share of failures, there are always uncontrollable variables at play, but they tend to occur infrequently. Before incorporating H2O2 into my commercial grow (ornamentals), I would over-sow my numbers just to absorb the losses. After H2O2, I worry more about having too many seedlings to take care of, and try harder to control my numbers.

The mix is Berger's BM2 Propagation Mix. We used to mix our own soils, but that takes time.

The good thing about Berger's BM2 is the vermiculite helps boost the CEC as well as holds extra water. No wonder you have such a super setup with all the skills you have. I do know how much time and hard work it takes to make potting soils and it's not worth it when you can just buy quality mixes. Your seed planting time window is opening soon, isn't it? 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

Check out Biosafe Systems' website. They have a "Where to Buy" tab on the top, right hand side of the homepage. Available in Canada and Mexico, not sure about Europe/Asia

They even have a page dedicated to cannabis!

https://biosafesystems.com/industry/cannabis-and-hemp/

Biosafe has it going on! 44, how do you feed your plants? Do you use liquid or time-release or both together? How long does the nutrient charge last after leaving your greenhouse?😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
After doing research and obtaining the information from Biosafe I have come back to the same conclusion that mixing 3% Hydrogen peroxide with drinking water has no value. Here's why, Hydrogen peroxide is very unstable, and mixed with tap water it loses the arrangement of molecules on contact. Bio-safe adds acetic acid to the hydrogen peroxide and that stabilizes it for that reason. After adding acetic acid to the H2O2 it becomes peroxyacetic acid or PAA which is a new stabilized molecule. PAA can be mixed with water and sprayed on plants or substrates and remain stable. The new molecule PAA works well and is safe for the greenhouses when used correctly. I would avoid breathing, or any skin contact because of the acetic acid. 😎

The new molecule PAA works well and is safe for the greenhouses when used correctly. I would avoid breathing, or any skin contact because of the acetic acid. 😎

Indeed.

Biosafe Sytems is kind of a game changer for horticulture. They have several products I use and appreciate.

The vapors from a strong solution, or a disinfecting spray, will get you coughing, and even the quickest contact on skin will give you some oxidized skin cells. But, it would take a lot (longer contact time) to give you, say, a second degree burn.

I use Peter's Professional or Jack's formulas for ease of use (on containerized, soil-less peat mixes) and cost effectiveness. I have used liquid organic formulas in the past, but $$$. I will feed my long term crops (perennials, shrubs -- cannabis, too) once a week during the growing season, using a bell curve applied to the time of season for ppm amount. Less, then more, then less. I have learned it is better to lean towards underfeeding, as this helps to better "tone" the plant growth. Overfed plants are ripe targets for pest and disease.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I wished everyone could hear what you are saying "Overfed plants are ripe targets for pest and disease", and underfeeding, helps to better "tone" the plant growth! Very well put! 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Anyone heard about scarification using a matchbox and sandpaper. Glue a fine-grit sandpaper to the top and bottom inside of the matchbox. Open it up and put your seed in it and shake for about 20 minutes. After the shaking, they are ready. 😎

CalvinMagnuson

People please take a step back. Youre like whales sitting at a buffet of shattered glass. I can't look.
​​​​​​Throw your sanitation chemicals in the trash. Throw all your gadgetry away. Soak your seeds in soil and they'll germinate. If they don't, produce better seeds. You've obviously got cash and brain cells to burn. Spend them on something worth while.

Same with cuts... Domes, clones, gels. Wtf people. Dip them in rooting microbes, put them in peat moss. Done.. You internet guys are unbearable, in the amount of contradictory ritual put into ruining your plants.

Bleach the planet, then buy Clorox brand microbes to reseed!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
People please take a step back. Youre like whales sitting at a buffet of shattered glass. I can't look.
​​​​​​Throw your sanitation chemicals in the trash. Throw all your gadgetry away. Soak your seeds in soil and they'll germinate. If they don't, produce better seeds. You've obviously got cash and brain cells to burn. Spend them on something worth while.

Same with cuts... Domes, clones, gels. Wtf people. Dip them in rooting microbes, put them in peat moss. Done.. You internet guys are unbearable, in the amount of contradictory ritual put into ruining your plants.

Bleach the planet, then buy Clorox brand microbes to reseed!

I don't use any type of stratification on cannabis. However, in horticulture, these methods are practiced with hard-to-crack seeds. Some seeds like Allium 'Purple Sensation' and Eryngium giganteum need a long period of cold-moist stratification with alternating temperatures. The only way I germanate cannabis seed is planted directly in good quality soil and that's the only way I recommend ..😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What's wrong with domes?

Domes are useful for keeping the soil from drying out prior to sprouting. However, after sprouting the dome needs to come off so the leaf tissue can toughen itself. If one keeps a dome on seedlings too long fungus spores can bloom above and below the soil. 😎

goingrey

Domes are useful for keeping the soil from drying out prior to sprouting. However, after sprouting the dome needs to come off so the leaf tissue can toughen itself. If one keeps a dome on seedlings too long fungus spores can bloom above and below the soil. 😎

Hmm, yes. I like to think the dome is protection from all the pathogens flying around it - and to an extent it is - but it's obviously not a sterile environment and can provide great conditions for molds to grow. Once the seeds or clones get going it's probably best to keep the cover off.

Latest posts

Latest posts