What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do I need a node?

hyposomniac

Do I really need a sacrificial node in the rooting zone of a cutting, as most guides suggest, or will straight stem material get the job done?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
not totally necessary at all but I scrape the stem if I dont have a node or dont want to use one, because you can get more cuts this way sometimes

when you leave a node and trim it up you will have more inner tissue exposed (cambium layer)

I think thats why it might work better

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have little interest in nodes. I will have it if it's there, but only because of what I have read. In practice, It makes no difference for me.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I have had good luck with no node. I normally cut at the node but it works if you don't.
Have a great day all! Peace, negative.

asher1er

Veteran
done node and no node in same tray from same mother plants plenty of times and never noticed any difference. :joint: :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have had cuts rooted in them aero things before. Sometimes the roots did leave at the top of a node, like a shoot would. They didn't seem any more advanced though.

Perhaps someone that works a 'misting thing' all the time can see the results better.

A couple of days really wouldn't effect me. I just wouldn't notice. My cuts get 2 weeks untouched. Then a week lowering RH and chucking half away. Only at 3 weeks am I selecting what I need +20% for 15 cell nursery tray. That is when I'm really looking.

Jayden1990

I had cuts in nodes rooted in them aero things. Rarely roots did leave the upper top of the node. They did not look as good as for advanced.

Perhaps someone that works a 'misting thing' all the time can see the results better.
A couple of days don't bother me. I just wouldn't notice. My cuts remain untouched for 2 weeks. Then a week lowering RH and chucking half away. Only in 3 weeks, I'm able to select what I need +20% for a 15 cell nursery tray. That is when I'm really looking.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks Jayden. I didn't own the mister myself, so only saw the end results. I have been looking at pics, and typically the area exposed to a rooting environment will fatten up, turning white and calloused looking. Then roots come from anywhere. Just anywhere.

This is a nice pic from negative
fetch?id=17819814&d=1616597739.jpg

I don't actually see a node, but it's a great example of them not needing one.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I've taken cuttings in desperation, node or no.

When they root, transplant and don't look back.

Plain water rooting method for me, if they don't root, wasn't meant to be.

Nice root pic f-e.

imiubu

For me personally, size matters most (height). I have a very low ceiling clearance so, I measure my cuttings from the top down
matching up and counting downwards the same number of nodes then cut them all at the same height. Sometimes there are nodes
at the bottom and sometimes not. I will cut just above the node.
I have scraped the stems and not scraped the stems also. I found that trying to clone woody stems is a challenge at best but they will root.
Takes a bit longer is all. I do not scrape woody stems though. I've had them rot out when doing so.
Usually cuts get shoved into a cup of water and left an undetermined amount of time, generally due to time constraints (or simple laziness).
Sometimes (often) they root in the water before I get to them. If so, they go straight to soil. No roots, they go into rooting cubes and
under the dome.
I have found that none of that matters however. Take nice green tender shoots and in approx. 2 wks after cutting; roots will be present.
Most generally from the stem area, not at a node. IME

PolyChucker

You don’t need a node in the dirt you just need a leaf and a node above the medium. You are more likely to succeed with larger clones but I’ve had mid branch clones with one leaf root as well.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
No need for node in the water, roots come out of cambrium layer, which sourrounds the stems. That is what you need to expose in the water to get roots.