What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seeds haven't craked in 24 hours, any way to salvage them?

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I think you'll find that by tomorrow the little root sprouts will be quite long. I do the paper towel method without fail, but like to pot the seeds as soon as the radicle appears.

I'm sure that the rest of your seeds will be cracked by tomorrow.

You were right bro, planted a healthy number of each strain today in soil! Of course the most recently acquired seeds popped the hardest, so I'm correct that my storage methods were fucking with their health. I manually cracked and removed the shell on some so hopefully that ups my numbers.

Also my girlfriend opened up the window to our room at like midnight on the first night, so it was real nippy inside, I think that slowed them down even further. I forced her to accept the warmth last night lol I think that gave them the boost they needed. Two humans and two dogs put quite a few btu's into the air, that did it.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Thanks for all the informative posts fellas, I'm gonna get myself a little makeup fridge to keep my seed stash in going forward, and prevent my gf from letting the cold air in the room next time I'm popping seeds XD

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Also my girlfriend opened up the window to our room at like midnight on the first night, so it was real nippy inside, I think that slowed them down even further. I forced her to accept the warmth last night lol I think that gave them the boost they needed. Two humans and two dogs put quite a few btu's into the air, that did it.

The CO2 will also help.

Cuddles

You were right bro, planted a healthy number of each strain today in soil! Of course the most recently acquired seeds popped the hardest, so I'm correct that my storage methods were fucking with their health. I manually cracked and removed the shell on some so hopefully that ups my numbers.

Warmth is good in general, but a little cool won´t harm seeds when popping much. For example I popped mine in mid-feb and I often had a draft going through the flat to air the place up and my baby popped just fine. :) Think about it: mother nature doeesn´t keep perfect warm room temps either :)
Nice to hear yours turned out - just like we all said they would.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I've had seeds pop after a two day soak with tails, and recently have started tailed seeds in soil with nothing above ground for five days.

Have one seedling show, and just after five days getting second set of leaves, so slow, lol.

Seeds be doing their own thing, but I wonder how long till they show.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My best results come from just sticking them in. Any other process has offered no improvement. I might gain a day or two, but any such need just highlights bad planning.
Evolution has made the seed work without wet tissue or glasses of water. I don't want to spin them round. Break off fine root hairs, or change the state of the rhizosphere. Non of those actions are profitable.

Some have taken fucking around to a whole new level. Sterilising everything. Even bleaching the seeds. I know they are not exactly cheap, but good one's survive and bad ones are not a huge loss. Unless you pay $200 but in that case, fucking stop it. If you are daft enough to pay that, then they will all compete to make you pay that. Don't stand for stupid prices, unless it's proven to of just come from an Egyptian tomb, or was crapped out of a phoenix.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I got a pretty good amount of plants off of these after all. I definitely don't want to do the paper towel method again, idk why I jumped for that.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have a black thumb when it comes to seeds. I have killed 100's of dollars worth of seeds. Some suggest sandpapering, or gently cracking. I only grow clones now.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I looked at seed prices the other day and one thing I noticed was the prices have gone way up. Good breeder seeds are worth the money, but at those prices, you can't have any failures. I'm going to pop some seeds, using a method that has a 100% success rate, only 2 misses in 10 years. Newbies stay tuned to the propagation forum if you're interested. 😎

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I got a pretty good amount of plants off of these after all. I definitely don't want to do the paper towel method again, idk why I jumped for that.

Why? It works. Soak 24 hrs in a 10% solution of 3% H2O2, and distilled H2O, & use that water in paper towel. Tail within 24-48 hrs, plant in soil and usually sprouts 2-3 days.

...CR500AF...

I use the coco cubes, soak the cube then plant they come up in a day or up to fourteen day's later. the one thing i do notice they seem to all pop with in a three to four day group. very few lone stragglers...:)

Just to add i put them into dome's in tray's so they can drain the cube, in the dark, 78-82 temp using a seedling mat under the dome, and try to keep a little air flow. I have had only one pack (not one popped) out of many.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I looked at seed prices the other day and one thing I noticed was the prices have gone way up. Good breeder seeds are worth the money, but at those prices, you can't have any failures. I'm going to pop some seeds, using a method that has a 100% success rate, only 2 misses in 10 years. Newbies stay tuned to the propagation forum if you're interested. 😎

That sounds interesting.

I don't look closely at the price. Production can only be done from known mother stock. Seeds are like a different department. Where you buy 5 to see if any are even worth moving to production. If it's a near miss, maybe get 5 more. A total miss, and it's less wasted than having moved to production with new seeds. It's just one big wheel of reproduction, with a smaller wheel spinning where seeds enter, get churned through, and usually spat out. Rarely getting on to the big wheel.

There is just no other way of having the best stock. You keep the best, until something displaces it. The limit is how many lines you can actually keep. I don't really like more than 6 but have 8 right now. I'm being sentimental with a couple tbh. I should just go in there and kill them :(

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I agree, when it comes to production, clones are best. I did clones and found them to be boring. Using "new seed" with ever grow, you can get big surprises. The different seed strains from all over the world, will yield so many unique variables. Its amazing how one plant can have so many different blends of uniqueness in a single seed. I only use seed with every grow for exploring adventures. 😎

airplane

paper towel method - if ot "popped" in 3-4days one might have an issue -- try cracking the seed before paper towel method ( put in small container ,, lined with sand paper (120 grit) put lid on and shake, skake and shake to give them a "crack" works very good

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just had 6 out of 10 beans pop ,,
that were over 6 years old and cracked,,,kept in a plastic box in a cupboard,,,
Dropped into water for 12 hours then sideways in to light mix and put under a tiny strip fluorescent in our kitchen,,,
Now very healthy young girls,,,

In the old days when indoor growing was getting going, say around 2000, seeds were never chilled, but they seemed to last much longer. Sellers often kept them in a dry box under the counter. They weren't fridged, and use by dates weren't even considered. In my experience, since seeds were fridged they only last a few weeks or months out of the fridge. With that, I think it's best to use fridged seeds quickly. Since seed sellers started using chillers to store seeds, there has been a disparity in seed storage. When your seeds arrived, did you continue to store them at the appropriate chilled temperature? Many people now make this mistake. The ideal temperature for storing cannabis seeds is between 6–8℃. Probably in an airtight container. However, this doesn't mean fridging is a perfect science. In fact, the way seeds are transported etc is not scientific. Fridging seeds may in general be damaging seeds, from condensed moisture to temperature changes which might simulate wintering. But with all the opinion to fridge seeds, there doesn't seem to be much of a way back. Just use them soon after you buy them. There will always be plenty more, so just use them quickly, and buy again when your ready.
:flowers2:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
In the old days when indoor growing was getting going, say around 2000, seeds were never chilled, but they seemed to last much longer. Sellers often kept them in a dry box under the counter. They weren't fridged, and use by dates weren't even considered. In my experience, since seeds were fridged they only last a few weeks or months out of the fridge. With that, I think it's best to use fridged seeds quickly. Since seed sellers started using chillers to store seeds, there has been a disparity in seed storage. When your seeds arrived, did you continue to store them at the appropriate chilled temperature? Many people now make this mistake. The ideal temperature for storing cannabis seeds is between 6–8℃. Probably in an airtight container. However, this doesn't mean fridging is a perfect science. In fact, the way seeds are transported etc is not scientific. Fridging seeds may in general be damaging seeds, from condensed moisture to temperature changes which might simulate wintering. But with all the opinion to fridge seeds, there doesn't seem to be much of a way back. Just use them soon after you buy them. There will always be plenty more, so just use them quickly, and buy again when your ready.
:flowers2:

dunno good buddy. I keep mine in the fridge, they are 3 yrs old. I have no problem popping "good" beans. Not all beans are created equal. AAMOF, I doubt that the ones Of dubious quality I had purchased would last for 10+ yrs, regardless where they were kept.

I was gifted some seeds and can speculate if they will sprout or not. Why? The seeds aren't mature. I was gifted a hockey sock full from another mbr, and they were mature. I had so many I was fussy with my culling.:tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Beans can take longer than you think. I used to think48 hrs was the limit, but I just had some pop 3+ days in water. I will give them 5 from now on. That is soaking in water to get a tail started. They need several days or more to come up after being put in soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts