What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seeds haven't craked in 24 hours, any way to salvage them?

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I think it might be a lil cold in my dresser drawer, gonna go grab a seedling mat tomorrow I guess, any other advice for getting seeds to germ? I never had trouble like this before but I think my old spot was a little warmer, its the only thing I can think that's different. Some of these seeds are very fresh so its not like they're super old.

I'm tripping, I used to just pop the dry seeds straight in the soil and never had much issues. Tried this paper towel method and no signs of life across like a dozen strains fml

G

how cold is it? a heat pad cant hurt if its cold.... i go with soil, most of the time. have you tried your old ways? a light can keep them warm... or over the fridge....

oceangrownkush

Veteran
how cold is it? a heat pad cant hurt if its cold.... i go with soil, most of the time. have you tried your old ways? a light can keep them warm... or over the fridge....

can't be that cold, normal room temp I would assume? I might just toss them into some soil if they don't show any life by tomorrow

G

i have had problems with inside air, fungus and whatnot is strong inside, especially without good ventilation, something to consider. maybe a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide in the water for the paper towel?

M

member 505892

I soak seeds in water for 24 hours before planting into soil (no paper towel step), most will have cracked open by then but some don't.

They all usually still pop out of the soil even if they didn't crack in the water, if they were viable. :ying:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I try to soak less then 24h, more like 12-18h because i got the impression some seeds kind of over soak with 24h. Then straight to soil or in wet towel. After a week the newborns should show up. Sometimes i use easy plugs with mixed results. Had it 3 times that the seeds cracked in the easy plug but didn't grow more than a root tip. After breaking up the plug and transplanting to soil the plants came up as normal.
but how long it takes to crack has a lot of factors like genetics, age, enviromente and season. I got it with some kerala beans that between first and last plant showing was 14d.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cooler temps will slow things down. i go for 75 f.
i would plant them as you suggest and give them a few days at above temp. I always soak for a couple hours and plant in soil without waiting for them to crack or anything.
VG

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
My 1st 'learning experience' with germing seeds was a failure. These were very much wanted gifted seeds, a haze cross. I followed the normal procedures but after 1 1/2 weeks they hadn't opened and I gave up.

About a year later I found a container hidden away on my bookshelf and when I opened it found alla those seeds had finally opened with beautiful 2 in. long tails.

I've since read that long flowering Sativas tend to take a bit longer and now always file the tip/edges before soaking them in water. :good:

Cuddles

I think it might be a lil cold in my dresser drawer, gonna go grab a seedling mat tomorrow I guess, any other advice for getting seeds to germ? I never had trouble like this before but I think my old spot was a little warmer, its the only thing I can think that's different. Some of these seeds are very fresh so its not like they're super old.

I'm tripping, I used to just pop the dry seeds straight in the soil and never had much issues. Tried this paper towel method and no signs of life across like a dozen strains fml

only 24h - I wouldn´t worry because sometimes they just take a wee bit longer that´s all. keep the paper towels wet enough and they´ll pop.when theyé ready :)

FletchF.Fletch

420club
They were planted under 3rd Quarter Moon in the Sign of Capricorn, a better time to plant Potatoes than Herb. Always sprout, and prune when the Moon is Waxing (getting larger and brighter), harvest and destroy pests/plagues when the Moon is Waning (getting smaller and darker). Soak in water for up to 12 hours, then drop in Soil, Plugs, Cubes, or Paper Towels.

It has only been a short time though, they should still germinate. Room temperature dark place can still take up to a week.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pants. The British kind. Though 24h isn't long at all. 72h.. that's something. If it's warm.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Seeds/and soil need to be warm to germinate. Give them more time. If you plant more, you may have more plants on your hands than you can handle, like I did.

M

member 505892

I try to soak less then 24h, more like 12-18h because i got the impression some seeds kind of over soak with 24h. Then straight to soil or in wet towel. After a week the newborns should show up. Sometimes i use easy plugs with mixed results. Had it 3 times that the seeds cracked in the easy plug but didn't grow more than a root tip. After breaking up the plug and transplanting to soil the plants came up as normal.
but how long it takes to crack has a lot of factors like genetics, age, enviromente and season. I got it with some kerala beans that between first and last plant showing was 14d.

I had heard someone else say similar somewhere but it's not a problem at all. I have even left seeds in water for up to 72 hours with no problem.... i wouldn't recommend doing it but i have left them soaking for extended periods of time (2-3 days) many times with no problem at all.

Once they poke their tail out in the water, they usually only take a few days to pop out of the soil.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Some of them have now opened up but not as many as I would have liked. I'll get a bag of soil and put them all in lil cups tomorrow, germ or no germ

draztik

Veteran
Don't put the ones that haven't germinated into soil just yet. In my experience it will only increase your failure rate. My suggestion is to very carefully crack the seeds by squeezing them between your fingers. Be very careful not to apply too much pressure that you crush the seeds, apply just enough to split them slightly, and throw them in a wet paper towel that you have rinsed thoroughly an put them somewhere warm. In the future use something abrasive like fine grit sand paper or a match striker to score the outside of the seeds before you soak them.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
homeless guy i had them soaking for longer too without problems. It's not all the time but sometimes there are seeds that react a little different and u see the difference. They sink to the bottom fast and look softened and darker after the soak. Imo the seeds had a crack or something before and therefore drown fast.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Some of them have now opened up but not as many as I would have liked. I'll get a bag of soil and put them all in lil cups tomorrow, germ or no germ

I think you'll find that by tomorrow the little root sprouts will be quite long. I do the paper towel method without fail, but like to pot the seeds as soon as the radicle appears.

I'm sure that the rest of your seeds will be cracked by tomorrow.