What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Genetic Stasis Exp

hayday

Veteran
This will be a real time experiment in a propagation tecknique. I use a simple perlite and tub method of cloning. this has been my go to method for over a decade and it almost always is one hundred percent.
Right now I have more cuts than I can veg or flower so I will be taking on the task of long term storage of rooted clones in perlite.
These Roadkill Strawberry clones were taken on March 2,2021 and have been rooted for a couple of weeks now but I'm out of space so on March 28th, I devised a plan to stick them in the fridge and see what happens. My RKS mom makes alot of cuts so these can come or go,not really a big deal on way or another.
There are a few things I'm curious about here. One, should there be a small amount of water in the tubs?and two, after a month or two in fridge will these ladies be mush or will they rejuvinate and flourish one they come out of hibernation.
Whats to happen? Y'all feel free to speculate...I will update as time passes

Attachments

• photo2034113.jpg
    photo2034113.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2034116.jpg
    photo2034116.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2034117.jpg
    photo2034117.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41

...CR500AF...

Hy there hayday is this med-mans RKS Strawberry ? Cool idea i hope it works out for you.
I going to keep an eye on the progress of your experiment...:)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
What's the temp of the fridge? Will they get any light at all?

hayday

Veteran
Hey cr5, nope, not medmans. I did the work on this cross.BOGs sour strawberry crossed to a giant male Cannacopia BC ROADKILL X DEEP CHUNK.

GMT... no, they get no light unless I get a beer. I dont really want growth. I only want to stop time. So far all is good, no real change in anything. The foilage is as perky as it was when placed in the fridge.

One of the plants was touching the top of the fridge so it wilted but I placed them on the bottom shef where the had more headroom. Temp is 40 degrees f.

I'll update on the 15th with pics. Thanks for showing interest.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Its fascinating. If you achieve it with plants, how long till you start with other subjects lol. Watching along, not sure I believe in this, but deffo interested.

hayday

Veteran
9598F08D-D911-4B7D-AEC2-405DCB4174FF.jpeg
4B2B88E8-10B8-4AE1-95B9-4628B9E04EAA.jpeg
This scheme of mine is working out so far. I took some pics on the 15th, halfway thru the 30 day cold cycle of this experiment. There was a small bit of yellowing going on on the youngest new growth but nothing to worry about. The roots were a bit yellow too, this I don't like but at the end of April we'll see if they grow properly in their soil first pot.

The whole reason I'm doing this is I have a move coming up and I might need a brief pause to get my old space clean and back to original condition as I start up he new place.

I'm going to make a bunch of seed at the old spot too so a month on hold would be very helpful.

Quoting Starlord "So far, so good"

hayday

Veteran
D53B26AE-3D0D-45A5-9D36-CB4D326FDB34.jpeg
Sixty two day from cutting. I'll put them in soil after they warm up some.
Something like 34 days rooted in the fridge.

DunHav`nFun

Glad it worked out for ya Bro......Could`ve told you us old heads learned back in the day that un-rooted cuts wrapped in damp paper towels in ziplocs will last for months and months in the crisper drawer on the bottom @ 40 degrees , but.....nobody ever did anything with rooted cuts , so .....Respect for your work.....hopefully they kick start back and get hoonin for your move to the next spot.....also glad to hear you makin beans ta back shit up just in case.......Fortune favors the prepared mind.......now......

Since we`re talkin rooted cuts......What`s your technique in perlite......Do you soak it before you stick cuts in it ?......How long do you go before adding liquid to the containers so they don`t dry out but still grow legs......You and I know this , but it`s a help to the younguns and new members in the community.....anyways.....

Thanks for your time and......

Peace.....DHF..... :ying:.......

hayday

Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	19CD5F77-8CD0-40AE-8CF8-943F43ED459D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	17857036 Click image for larger version  Name:	19CD5F77-8CD0-40AE-8CF8-943F43ED459D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	17857036 Click image for larger version  Name:	19CD5F77-8CD0-40AE-8CF8-943F43ED459D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	17857036 Click image for larger version  Name:	19CD5F77-8CD0-40AE-8CF8-943F43ED459D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	17857036 Hey DHF, yeah your right, I should have included an entire tek on the cloning procedure. I have posted it a few times in the past but it’s hard to find now. It was in Moses Wellfleets “Organic Clones In Perlite”thread but all the pics and info is gone except where someone quoted me.

The way this works best for me is...
Fill a small deep tub like the ones pictured in the O.P.
Fill with perlite and tap water
Cover with foil for labeling and to prevent algae from growing
Poke small holes and insert cuttings deep into the perlite but not to the bottom. No dome needed here.
Wait 10 days and pour out the water.
At this point roots should be forming as long as you are in the target range of 75-80 degrees
At day 14, there should be roots visible in the bottom of the tubs

For this test, I had some old rooted clones I didn’t need so after 20 something days,I threw them in the fridge. As Fred had said I knew about the old trick of taking cuts and bagging them up with a moist paper towel and storing them but I wanted to see what would happen with root involved and it seemed to work fine.
The larger fan leaves look pretty rough but the plants over all are going to be just fine.

Link to Moses Wellfleets cloning tek
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuana-growing/organic-soil/223595-organic-clones-in-perlite

Last edited: