What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Viability of four-year old seeds, stored at room temp.

Treevly

A friend is giving me a dozen seeds, a mostly Indica hybrid with some Skunk and some Sativa farther back in the family tree. Unfortunately they were stored in a cupboard in a small sealed bottle. I'm wondering what the odds are of the seeds being viable. What do you think?
Thanks

Growenhaft

I myself just let 7-4 year old seeds germinate, which were also stored at room temperature for most of the time.
​​​​​​i put them in the freezer for 3 days before germination. i wanted to pretend a little winter for them.

There are 6 varieties in total, 51 of 52 have grown
I didn't expect that myself.

I wish you success

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
A friend is giving me a dozen seeds, a mostly Indica hybrid with some Skunk and some Sativa farther back in the family tree. Unfortunately they were stored in a cupboard in a small sealed bottle. I'm wondering what the odds are of the seeds being viable. What do you think?
Thanks

If you have the space to pop them seeds, then the actual germination rate will answer your question.

I routinely pop seeds that are 7-10 years old, and have popped seeds from 1979.

Keep us posted.

Treevly

Thanks for those replies. They are all positive, so I think that my odds are pretty good. This helps with my planning for the near future. The seeds are Sunshine Daydream, by Bodhi.
My friend buys more seeds than he can plant. Sometimes I get leftovers.... Good ones.
Yes, I'll keep you posted.