What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedling Ph and medium density

G

Do seedlings prefer a certain Ph? I believe I heard once they like it a little low. And do they prefer a tight or loose packed medium (peat specifically)?

I've always started them in nice soil that I don't have access to anymore, this peat moss is like a ground up car wash sponge, I have a feeling it's making it hard to tell exactly how much moisture in in the cups.

And how do you water expanding jiffy pellets? I'm not sure how those things work.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Peat will do best at 5.8 to 6.2 for seedlings. I let the jiffy pots expand in warm water before I put anything in them. You will need to feed at a very low EC when using jiffy pots when you see roots or just transplant them into a larger container that have nutrients in it. NEVER PACK YOUR SOIL EVER!!!!! After you transplant just use the water to water your plants in, to pack the soil naturally. Roots grow best in lose soil compared to packed soil. 😎