What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Soflott

are the teas the only feedings hou do at all (if using the “preferred metgod@. I feel like at about 3 weeks in my plants look a little bit hungrt

Davano

Can this method be used in a system like "Alien Hydroponics EasyFeed"
I ask this because the easy feed is a bottom feeding system.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I think that a beginner should just buy a good quality organic mix and learn how to use that first. Roots Organic or Ocean Forest and pure water will do nicely without all the complications of correct amending. As time goes you can improve the mix with simple additions of organic amendments. Organic grows one should only use pure water Only. Keep it simple newbies.😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Can this method be used in a system like "Alien Hydroponics EasyFeed"
I ask this because the easy feed is a bottom feeding system.

NO I don't think so because of salt build-up from bottom watering. Alien is best used with peat or coco substrates. However I'm skeptical of any kind of bottom watering other than ebb & flow. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you are in the US then get some "Roots Organic" and only use pure water. Be careful managing water because the starting ppm is 3999 (5.9 EC) or over! The high EC is potential salts and not active salts. Potential salts only become active or useful under certain conditions. Water is the main condition and is the main release mechanism because microbes need water to populate and break down nutrients. Water management with pure water is key with organic a grow. 😎

Water always follows salt and excess watering in an organic grow or keeping the soil too wet will cause the release of excess nutrients. It's amazing how little raw nutrient a plant uses under the correct conditions. I wouldn't add anything to Roots Organic I would just up-pot 3 times. Happy gardening. 😎

Davano

Creeperpark Thanks for the replys

I understand your first reply.

Second reply:
Alien is best used with peat or coco substrates
As I understand the OP is for coco, correct me if I am wrong.

How do you get a salt bild-up when you add the nutrition in before you start your grow and only give pure water? This would then also happen when you give water from the top.
As the OP gives water with-out eny run off. So I don't understand this.
As i read coco only hold a X amount of water, this should not change when you bottom feed.
So if the OP gives water 2 times a day from the top what is then the differents if I give them 2 time a day water from the bottom. The coco will only take up till it cant hold any more water.
So in both cases the coco should have the same amount of water in it.
The thing I could see as a problem is that when you bottom feed the nutrition is only in the top part of the medium and not flushed down as it would with top feeding.

Third replay:
Maybe I could order it on Amazon, but will probably be expensive.
keeping the soil too
The OPtalks about soilless mix, so there is no soil

Again thanks for the reply.
Hope you can clear something up for me.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Creeperpark Thanks for the replys

I understand your first reply.

Second reply:

As I understand the OP is for coco, correct me if I am wrong.

How do you get a salt bild-up when you add the nutrition in before you start your grow and only give pure water? This would then also happen when you give water from the top.
As the OP gives water with-out eny run off. So I don't understand this.
As i read coco only hold a X amount of water, this should not change when you bottom feed.
So if the OP gives water 2 times a day from the top what is then the differents if I give them 2 time a day water from the bottom. The coco will only take up till it cant hold any more water.
So in both cases the coco should have the same amount of water in it.
The thing I could see as a problem is that when you bottom feed the nutrition is only in the top part of the medium and not flushed down as it would with top feeding.

Third replay:
Maybe I could order it on Amazon, but will probably be expensive.

The OPtalks about soilless mix, so there is no soil

Again thanks for the reply.
Hope you can clear something up for me.

I'm talking about using with an organic mix that's amended with lots of amendments. I'm not talking about using it with coco coir or peat soil-less mix. That's what it's made for. What's the difference you ask, an organic soil mix will have an EC of 3999 ppm or 5.5 EC and Pro Mix hp peat mix only has 360 ppm or .6 EC a big difference. And for coco the ppm will only be whatever ppm you add with nutrients. .Its made for soil-less mixes and not high ppm amended mixes. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry, I never saw OP for coco anywhere other than you saying it now. Coco Coir is called coco and I have never heard it call anything but coco. I'm ole school so I'm learning something from you. So If I say OP that means coco coir and that's the common term Dav? 😎

Davano

Sorry, I never saw OP for coco anywhere other than you saying it now. Coco Coir is called coco and I have never heard it call anything but coco. I'm ole school so I'm learning something from you. So If I say OP that means coco coir and that's the common term Dav? 😎

Thanks for the reply.
I think there is a misunderstanding here.
With OP i mean openings post, so the first post in the forum thread.
The person who started this post, posted how to make a mix for soil less growing. Did you read his post?
I am asking if what he posted will work in de alian easy feed system.

Again thanks for raply
Hope to hear from you

goingrey

Thanks for the reply.
I think there is a misunderstanding here.
With OP i mean openings post, so the first post in the forum thread.
The person who started this post, posted how to make a mix for soil less growing. Did you read his post?
I am asking if what he posted will work in de alian easy feed system.

Again thanks for raply
Hope to hear from you

Bottom-feeding a coco or a coco-perlite mix works ok, the medium wicks the moisture around the container quite well. Peat moss or sphagnum should work even better.

People warn about salt buildup doing this. Surely how much salts they are given in the first place plays a part in that though.

Davano

Bottom-feeding a coco or a coco-perlite mix works ok, the medium wicks the moisture around the container quite well. Peat moss or sphagnum should work even better.

People warn about salt buildup doing this. Surely how much salts they are given in the first place plays a part in that though.

Thanks for the reply.

So using one of the soil less mixes from the Openings post would work fine. But it would be beter if I use Peat moss or Sphagnum instead of coco.
i'll definitely have a look at them, never heard of it before, thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
This will definitely help me.

goingrey

Thanks for the reply.

So using one of the soil less mixes from the Openings post would work fine. But it would be beter if I use Peat moss or Sphagnum instead of coco.
i'll definitely have a look at them, never heard of it before, thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
This will definitely help me.

Yeah that's what they say (only tried coco myself). It's soilless mix #1 in the op.

Latest posts

Latest posts