What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

G

Neptune’s Harvest every water. Alternate every 7-10 days with high N or high P ACT with EWC, and blackstrap molasses all throughout grow. Plus a little BioMin liquid C if needed, and a small dash of epsom couple times a grow max only if mag def shows. People way over complicate things.

Droid_dude

Hey all, a quick question on the best way to recharge my soil for next year's grow. I used LC's Soiless Mix #2 along with recipe #1 to make my soil for this year's grow. This was my second grow outside but first in the ground and the first using this soil mix. This mixture gave me triple the harvest I had in my shitty, rookie attempt last year.

How do I go about adding the proper pieces back into the soil to get another solid grow next year? My initial thought is to add back in more blood meal, bone meal, worm castings, etc to let it sit over the winter. I also have access to chicken and sheep shit as well as a frozen catfish.

I have 8 holes in the ground that i filled with my initial batch of soil and I grew in a greenhouse the past two seasons. People have suggested that I put a piece of the catfish and some of the chicken shit into the holes over the winter. Can someone guide me through all of these suggestions? All of them sound good in moderation but I'm afraid of making a super hot soil that will get my plants instead of helping them flourish.

Thanks!!

G

Then don't put your plants in those holes as baby's. Make sure they needed fertilizers already and are used to it.
Once they got a certain size they should be able to handle your soil.

Sunshineinabag

Bury the catfish ......can pests be avoided from digging them up? If so just bury and entire fish in each hole in fall......that's what we do up here in new England

Droid_dude

Thanks for the advice. I definitely will not put babies in the ground. They will be clones that mature for a bit inside before moving outside.

As I only have one fish available, should I cut it up and throw some in each hole and then add additional amendments? If need be, I'll just go but some full fish and throw them in the holes instead. Keeping any digging pests away should be easy enough.

G

Yeah, you'll need more fish then.

And if they're clones they should already be used to some fertilizer. Maybe not quite the full load,but more than a seedling of the same size

40degsouth

Hi everyone, some great advice there.
Droid Dude, one way l like to prepare my fish frames and heads, to make them go further, is to put them in a bucket/rubbish bin of water and let them decompose; the liquid is ready when it stops smelling and this is watered down before use. You can also add weeds to the brew if you want to.
Another way to prepare raw fish frames, to plant available, is to add, pound for pound, fish to brown sugar and leave it in a container until ready. This is a Korean Natural Farming technique (KNF) and from memory, the highest form of, natural, plant available nitrogen.
A couple more ideas to consider.
Cheers,

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Bury the catfish ......can pests be avoided from digging them up? If so just bury and entire fish in each hole in fall......that's what we do up here in new England

a friend here used to toss a bluegill in his holes.

Here is another source of organic soil and worm castings I found, when I was buying more pond chemicals. Friendly people, helpful. They say they can also get the worms, which I may try in the spring with my veggie garden. :D

Sorry if this is considered spam. I m not intending that.

https://www.greatlakesbiosystems.co...nic-compost-omri-combo?variant=10123299160108

Respectbeer420

first time grower

first time grower

Ive used peat moss 50% and perlite 50% for 15 gallon (3 gallon each)

Should I order worm casting or else to add to the mix?

I also have 4-4-4 all purpose gaia green.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Ive used peat moss 50% and perlite 50% for 15 gallon (3 gallon each)

Should I order worm casting or else to add to the mix?

I also have 4-4-4 all purpose gaia green.

Well it depends, if you are trying to follow this guide, it would be 60% peat, 20% perlite, and 20% ewc

hayday

Veteran
New Question

New Question

I've recently come back to my roots from a couple of years of hydroponics and want to try something I have not done before with Organic gardening.
I want to try a small cover crop and I actually have some Rye Grass seed laying around. Does anyone have experience with using a grass seed to help maintain the moisture it the top of their pots indoors?
The top two inches or so in my indoor pots are always dry and some cover crop or mulch would help here but what to use is my question.
Rye, Clover or moss maybe? Any other suggestions?

Sunshineinabag

I've used clover. It grows in vermont like nothing else....4 leaf clover type....shit man you could pour rinsed chunky perlite two inches deep on top couldn't ya?

LostTribe

Premium user
I am trying to make my own soil and its been 20 years since I did this.

From page 1 I did LC's mix #1 and did half and half from each of the amendment food source recipes, #1 and #2.

I tried to cook the mix for a month. I saw organic activity for about 10 days then nothing and the smell went from chemical to very little over the last 4 weeks.

I am worried I may have added to much guano/meals to the mix. Can I check the runoff with Organic Soil to see if its too hot?

If it is too hot how do I fix it?

I tried to check ec after watering .5 gal of the soil with .4 ec tap water and got 3.2ec coming out?

Thank you
LT

Tired of paying for fox farm.

eyesdownchronic

I am trying to make my own soil and its been 20 years since I did this.

From page 1 I did LC's mix #1 and did half and half from each of the amendment food source recipes, #1 and #2.

I tried to cook the mix for a month. I saw organic activity for about 10 days then nothing and the smell went from chemical to very little over the last 4 weeks.

I am worried I may have added to much guano/meals to the mix. Can I check the runoff with Organic Soil to see if its too hot?

If it is too hot how do I fix it?

I tried to check ec after watering .5 gal of the soil with .4 ec tap water and got 3.2ec coming out?

Thank you
LT

Tired of paying for fox farm.

bit late on the response but that sounds normal. :good:
usually when you "cook" soil it smells kinda funky for the first week or so as the stuff breaks down. and then you know its ready to go once it gets a "fresh" type of soil smell. so pretty much what you described.

Soflott

Heyy burn1,

are you still active if so had a few questions.

been reading for years but the oppertunity to grow has finally lended itself to me and just got my first 5x5 tent going and seeds germinating now.

obviously plan on going the organically route.

Soflott

Have a question about the teas i have the supplies for all 3. Currently only in seedling phase but if you can answer about all 3 that would be awesome.

i am confused if i mix the already made tea with water or if i water with just the tea if that makes sense. Like let’s say i need to give my plants 20oz of liquid. Would it be 20oz of tea or 20oz of water with 10/20/whatever% tea mixed in.

i hope that makes sense and again if you could answer for all the teas that would be awesome (seedling/veg/flowering)

thankyou

Sunshineinabag

I would try to find measurements that work for a larger batch like say gallon at least. I usually used at least a 5 gallon for basic compost teas. Seedlings shouldn't need any real "feedings" they pull from cotylenden leaves if needed. This plant YHRIVES during vegetation stage w teas

Soflott

I would try to find measurements that work for a larger batch like say gallon at least. I usually used at least a 5 gallon for basic compost teas. Seedlings shouldn't need any real "feedings" they pull from cotylenden leaves if needed. This plant YHRIVES during vegetation stage w teas

Thankyou i appreciate what you wrote but for the size that’s not really what i meant. i meant more like when i water do i use all tea or x% tea and the rest water if that makes sense? Question applies for all stages