Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good container to hold / grow soil in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good container to hold / grow soil in?

The local feed /farm store has a 100 gallon black plastic water trough. There is a built-in water drain spigot. $80. The truck freight should be higher than that, and it was made in damn china.

I am looking for something to mix up the soil in, and why not use that thing to make and store soil? I could rise it on 4x4s and drill drain holes, if the soil needs to stay dry on the bottom. So anyways, I think this is my soil fctory. Looks like this:

Last edited by flylowgethigh; 01-13-2021, 22:38.
    ______________________________ __________________________
    Dr. Tuggle's Compound Syrup of Globe Flower

https://youtu.be/x0BinEFCp38?t=74

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87

I mix in a kiddie pool and store extra soil in heavy weight trash cans or pickle barrels or similar.

dank.Frank
    Bunch of fake ass neo-capitalists masquerading as counter
    culture cannabis enthusiasts with their thinly veiled
    self-justifications catering to the morally
    ambiguous for the sake of the
    ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR
    sigpic

Canna Caramels ---> click here Organic Soil ---> click here Current Grow --> click here

Comment

I use that exact trough for mixing real small amount of soil for my starts. I didn't drill any holes or anything. They were on sale at tractor supply a while back. You can't fit that much in it. I also use a 300 gallon smart pot and that works pretty well.

I like Frank's idea of a kiddy pool. Shallow makes it easy to mix. It's hard to get to the bottom of the trough if it's filled up all the way.

Comment

Lid? Can you stack those? Can you move it? Do they stink like synthetic hotdogs soaked in anal lube?

40gal is the biggest units I can handle. Stack ingredients 5 high (aeration takes up a lot of room) , mixed soil 2 high.The Lowes tubs don't smell as bad as Walmart or home depot. I mix in the 40gal tubs and I'll tell you I use a tarp underneath even though it rarely happens.

Comment

Kiddie pool was my first idea, but I had to have this thing once I saw it. It looks like I should keep it under cover, and any remaining soil moist with pond water. If it needs a lid, I can make one out of plywood, and hinge it on one side. It has been sitting there a while, and has no odor.

Comment

Originally posted by CrushnYuba View Post
            I use that exact trough for mixing real small amount of soil for my starts. I didn't drill any holes or anything. They were on sale at tractor supply a while back. You can't fit that much in it. I also use a 300 gallon smart pot and that works pretty well.

I like Frank's idea of a kiddy pool. Shallow makes it easy to mix. It's hard to get to the bottom of the trough if it's filled up all the way.
            Yup!

Some people understand when you tell them,
            not to piss on an electric fence,
            others have to find out for themselves. ~ Im'one

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
            but be prepared for the worst.

Civilization is the history of conspiracy!
            What is civilization but, a conspiracy,
            for all of us to do better, working together!
            ~Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
            but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

sigpic

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
            the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
            may their arms be too short to scratch..

Comment

I have a 300 gallon one I use to keep Rainwater because my blueberry plants can't use well water. I like to mix my soil in 30 gallon plastic drums and just roll it around on the ground it mixes it well.

Comment

My last worm bin was a 45 gallon trash can. This time I went with a smaller 20 gallon version. A kiddie pool works great for mixing. If you have the room probably storing too. I use the bathtub these days for mixing.

I'm sure your water trough will work great for storing soil while it matures. That spigot on the bottom would make it a sweet worm bin!
                You are only as free as you live.
                sigpic:peek:

Comment

Large tote boxes are handy, not expensive and I use them.
                  Time 2 Go. This place is a mess.

Comment

I'm using a 200 gallon Galvanized stock tank Simular to that Rubbermaid one. It was more than $80.00 though. The lid I use is some old lumber I had laying around with no hinges so I just slide it around or flip it off and out of the way.
                    This makes for a decent half ass table for filling pots and transplants.
                    For less than a Benjamen, I'd get that...
                    sigpic
                    W. P. O. D.

Comment

I mix in a kiddie pool as well and store any left overs in those 25-30 gallon tough totes.
                      My Albums
                      Diary - Done
                      Diary - Done
                      First Organic Run - Done
                      Organics Round 2 - Done
                      Karma Genetics SourA5Haze - Done
                      Current Diary- Done

Comment

I use the Rolling 32 gallon garbage cans.

Black so they need to be painted white, or covered with cloth that isn't dark, to keep from baking your plants' roots in the summer sun.

I think if you listen to the sounds when you water, you can hear the air being drawn into the top of the root mass, even in the cheap pots.

That is the Magic Sound. It means your roots are getting Oxygen, as well as the water you just gave them.
                        Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

who is in Save the Children Mode.

Comment

Stock tanks are great to grow in. I've got old galvanized tanks in use for 20 plus years. But for storage, stock tanks don't come with lids.

I mix everything in a wheel barrow and this goes into a 55 plastic drum. A cast iron lid fits it like a glove. No moisture buildup if the mix is dry.

For smaller amounts, plastic totes with lids are easy to move.

Comment

For outside storage I use an old shell from a hot tub: four sides and a bottom (redwood, no rot). No moisture build-up as it drains through the bottom. Soil is outside and I pull for the summer grow mixing in wheel borrow. A smaller amount is held inside in a roll around garbage can, plastic, for inside grow. Yes, I rebuild the soil before use. Storage method seems to work well. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! I am growing inside in a tent. Should I be keeping a 30 gallon tub of soil inside, for this first run? It may cook better in there because it is warmer than outside. Plus the bugs. Answered my own question. Thanks.
                              Last edited by flylowgethigh; 01-25-2021, 04:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X