What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is a good container to hold / grow soil in?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The local feed /farm store has a 100 gallon black plastic water trough. There is a built-in water drain spigot. $80. The truck freight should be higher than that, and it was made in damn china.

I am looking for something to mix up the soil in, and why not use that thing to make and store soil? I could rise it on 4x4s and drill drain holes, if the soil needs to stay dry on the bottom. So anyways, I think this is my soil fctory. Looks like this:

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I mix in a kiddie pool and store extra soil in heavy weight trash cans or pickle barrels or similar.

dank.Frank

CrushnYuba

I use that exact trough for mixing real small amount of soil for my starts. I didn't drill any holes or anything. They were on sale at tractor supply a while back. You can't fit that much in it. I also use a 300 gallon smart pot and that works pretty well.

I like Frank's idea of a kiddy pool. Shallow makes it easy to mix. It's hard to get to the bottom of the trough if it's filled up all the way.

Lid? Can you stack those? Can you move it? Do they stink like synthetic hotdogs soaked in anal lube?

40gal is the biggest units I can handle. Stack ingredients 5 high (aeration takes up a lot of room) , mixed soil 2 high.The Lowes tubs don't smell as bad as Walmart or home depot. I mix in the 40gal tubs and I'll tell you I use a tarp underneath even though it rarely happens.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Kiddie pool was my first idea, but I had to have this thing once I saw it. It looks like I should keep it under cover, and any remaining soil moist with pond water. If it needs a lid, I can make one out of plywood, and hinge it on one side. It has been sitting there a while, and has no odor.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I use that exact trough for mixing real small amount of soil for my starts. I didn't drill any holes or anything. They were on sale at tractor supply a while back. You can't fit that much in it. I also use a 300 gallon smart pot and that works pretty well.

I like Frank's idea of a kiddy pool. Shallow makes it easy to mix. It's hard to get to the bottom of the trough if it's filled up all the way.
Yup!

'Boogieman'

I have a 300 gallon one I use to keep Rainwater because my blueberry plants can't use well water. I like to mix my soil in 30 gallon plastic drums and just roll it around on the ground it mixes it well.

Greenheart

Veteran
My last worm bin was a 45 gallon trash can. This time I went with a smaller 20 gallon version. A kiddie pool works great for mixing. If you have the room probably storing too. I use the bathtub these days for mixing.

I'm sure your water trough will work great for storing soil while it matures. That spigot on the bottom would make it a sweet worm bin!

hayday

Veteran
I'm using a 200 gallon Galvanized stock tank Simular to that Rubbermaid one. It was more than $80.00 though. The lid I use is some old lumber I had laying around with no hinges so I just slide it around or flip it off and out of the way.
This makes for a decent half ass table for filling pots and transplants.
For less than a Benjamen, I'd get that...

Bmac1

Veteran
I mix in a kiddie pool as well and store any left overs in those 25-30 gallon tough totes.

St. Phatty

I use the Rolling 32 gallon garbage cans.

Black so they need to be painted white, or covered with cloth that isn't dark, to keep from baking your plants' roots in the summer sun.

I think if you listen to the sounds when you water, you can hear the air being drawn into the top of the root mass, even in the cheap pots.

That is the Magic Sound. It means your roots are getting Oxygen, as well as the water you just gave them.

Lotto

Stock tanks are great to grow in. I've got old galvanized tanks in use for 20 plus years. But for storage, stock tanks don't come with lids.

I mix everything in a wheel barrow and this goes into a 55 plastic drum. A cast iron lid fits it like a glove. No moisture buildup if the mix is dry.

For smaller amounts, plastic totes with lids are easy to move.

JCF

For outside storage I use an old shell from a hot tub: four sides and a bottom (redwood, no rot). No moisture build-up as it drains through the bottom. Soil is outside and I pull for the summer grow mixing in wheel borrow. A smaller amount is held inside in a roll around garbage can, plastic, for inside grow. Yes, I rebuild the soil before use. Storage method seems to work well. Good luck!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks! I am growing inside in a tent. Should I be keeping a 30 gallon tub of soil inside, for this first run? It may cook better in there because it is warmer than outside. Plus the bugs. Answered my own question. Thanks.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
After talking with the Buildasoil people again, I ditched the Happy Frog stuff, and got some Blak Kow mushroom compost and cow manure. The 100 gallon tank wasn't big enough to hold 16ft3 of stuff. Had to get a 50 gallon tub also. That 50 gallon one is easy to stir. 100 gallon is "Little Giant" brand, HDPE type plastic. 50 gal is Rubbermaid, more of a recycled harder material. I rejected a 100 gal Rubbermaid cause it was too tall.

It's all wetted down, off the ground, covered, located at it's home... and I hope, starting to cook.

Last edited:

hayday

Veteran
Good call on the manure and mushie compost, got worms?
Here's my tank. I actually have more of these but the one is enough for now.
picture.php

picture.php

Nice tractor:biggrin:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yeah, I am glad I called. There is 1 ft3 of Happy Frog potting soil, and 1 ft3 of Happy Frog soil conditioner in there also. The mix is still cold and damp. When is the bacteria gonna wake up and start the heat cycle? I will put worms in the 100 gallon tub after the cook-off, cause won't they die when it finally gets hot? Maybe I need to put in a ft3 of worm castings that I have.

What kind of worms does one want, and besides a fishing store, where to get them? I get skinny ones on my sidewalk after a big rain.

I wish that tractor was orange instead of red. My 50 year old blue one (4000 SU) pulls just as hard, and it's only 2WD.

Last edited:

hayday

Veteran
Go where they sell fishing gear and they should sell Red Wigglers. They should be about $5.00 for 25 fat worms.From there, start a bin with peet, newspaper and compost.
A worm bin will save you a ton of money and its kinda fun raising them.
They can live in the big tub if it doesn't get too cold but you will have better luck making castings with a worm bin.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=60422

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Just past that shed is the stocked pond. If kids ever found out about the worms... LOL

The goal is to minimize the time and effort needed to be successful, which means also make this foolproof as possible. Also to be sustainable, so I don't have to keep bringing in growing materials. If worms are needed to make the soil process work, then I will have to do that.

This soil is key to making a SIP work, it seems. And I think I want to SIP my way around trouble and work. Plan B is top drip watering with a ring. Very easy to convert between the two systems, using the same stuff.