What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Rico Swazi

Lest any take it seriously, it was a joke.
Good one too! Upon reading '3 plants in a closet ' my mind latched onto Frank singing a modified version-

'Three plants in the closet
Each one reeking happiness '

thats how my mind works sometimes, or doesn't depending on the morning haze intake.

side by side hooglies sounds like a good plan
I knew you went thru a rough patch and relieved to hear you are still mobile. 4 wheel scooters have come a long way since '02

you need to get yourself a https://sherp.ca/

ingress egress problems solved:biggrin:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good one too! Upon reading '3 plants in a closet ' my mind latched onto Frank singing a modified version-

'Three plants in the closet
Each one reeking happiness '

thats how my mind works sometimes, or doesn't depending on the morning haze intake.

side by side hooglies sounds like a good plan
I knew you went thru a rough patch and relieved to hear you are still mobile. 4 wheel scooters have come a long way since '02

you need to get yourself a https://sherp.ca/

ingress egress problems solved:biggrin:

More my speed;

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
Hey people, the one big problem I've encountered with acquiring local topsoil is all the weed seeds in it. The primary problem is with good old international quack grass but also my new found friend nut sedge,

The 2 non-poison remedies I know of are including the soil in thermophilic composting or spreading it out under black plastic. The latter, unfortunately also kills off the bugs n' such.

Of course the third solution is to use it and weed, weed, weed. However one goal is to provide a local organic potting mix to some of the gringos.

I know the best way is to compost it, which puts me a year away from any sales but that may be my lot.

Any wonderful ideas?

Thoughts and prayers.

Sift. Sprout. Sift. Sprout, sift. If you miss one nodule, it’s back. Nodules will sprout a limited number of times. You can sprout, smother, sprout, smother...

Reinoculate.

Rico Swazi

yeah, thoughts and prayers goes out to anyone having to deal with sedges
stuff sounds like a nightmare to get rid of

Cute dog MM, and nice ride !

when you say 'more my speed', did you mean stationary or idle?:biggrin:
enjoy your day:tiphat:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thoughts and prayers.

Sift. Sprout. Sift. Sprout, sift. If you miss one nodule, it’s back. Nodules will sprout a limited number of times. You can sprout, smother, sprout, smother...

Reinoculate.

Ya, ya, ya.

crisduar

he intentado practicar mi lombricompost con salvado y melaza a estas proporciones:
Agua = 300ml declorada o osmosis
lombricompost= 250ml
salvado de trigo= 8ml
Melaza=1ml
Lo hice así pero no obtuve exito

le agradezco me confirme si según su receta está bien(1 de salvado de trigo: 30 de lombricompost / 1 de melaza : 300 de agua

crisduar

/QUOTE]

I have tried to practice my vermicompost with bran and molasses at these proportions:
Water = 300ml dechlorinated or osmosis
vermicompost = 250ml
wheat bran = 8ml
Molasses = 1ml
I did it that way but I didn't succeed

I thank you confirm if your recipe is ok (1 of wheat bran: 30 of vermicompost / 1 of molasses: 300 of water [

Attachments

• 20190810_191328.jpg
    20190810_191328.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190809_231619.jpg
    20190809_231619.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190809_231552.jpg
    20190809_231552.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190809_231546.jpg
    20190809_231546.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10

h.h.

Veteran
/QUOTE]

I have tried to practice my vermicompost with bran and molasses at these proportions:
vermicompost = 250ml
wheat bran = 8ml
Molasses = 1ml

I thank you confirm if your recipe is ok (1 of wheat bran: 30 of vermicompost / 1 of molasses: 300 of water [
Not sure what you are trying to do

h.h.

Veteran
/QUOTE]

vermicompost = 250ml
wheat bran = 8ml
Molasses = 1ml

I’m not sure what you are doing here.

h.h.

Veteran
take the leaves of the date palms to pour them ashes for amendments.

I made a mistake in my post this morning.
You soak ashes to get potassium, not for phosphorus.

Compared with untreated soil, the palm compost application at 30 t ha−1 improved significantly both organic matter and water retention capacity of the soil and decreased the electrical conductivity (− 70%). Furthermore, palm compost supply significantly increased fresh biomass production of alfalfa by 21 and 28%, respectively, during the first and second seasons. Also, it enhanced the grain yield and growth rate (stem length and leafs expansion) of this species. At the first crop season, the palm compost application had a positive impact on minerals nutrition compared to the control treatment, with improving rates of + 32% for phosphorus, + 25% for potassium and + 6% for nitrogen. In addition, these contents were higher than in plants grown under cow manure amendment. However, at the second season, the palm compost improved only P and N contents.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40093-017-0182-6

When date palms get too high they cut them down. They’re too difficult to harvest. If the trunks are buried in sand, they break down almost like peat.
Mix in some aged manure.
Being by the ocean, they may have high salt and need to be buffered. I don’t know. Taste it. Or just soak it in a little calcium.

What can you get out of that ocean? Any fish waste? Seaweed?