What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://genome.jgi.doe.gov/Triat2/Triat2.home.html

Here she is. Trichoderma atroviride

picture.php

Hookahhead

Thanks for clarifying, that's what I assumed you were talking about. Yeah, unfortunately as you pointed out it is very difficult for a normal individual to identify which strain/variant I am growing. It's kind of the same deal with the LABs. I'm happy enough knowing there is something going on, even if I don't know all the specifics. I probably don't need to be cultivating wild types as there is already an abundance of it naturally, but it's fun to play around sometimes.

My coffee cultures weren't entirely intentional haha. I only used it as "compost innoculat" as I have no idea if anything else was growing in it. One of the batchs did have a nice thick mycelial mass. Do you know if there are any species of trichoderma that are plant pathogens?

Local materials is the only you can/or should use if you farming style.

Small indoors grow is not that simple.

Small ok

This can be a very beginner maybe.

We start small, end in big . If we like this. We do it always.
People always start minium, then they grow up, and have a big nice house mostly, and couple new fresh nice big cars.
These People destroys this Planet soon.

I need grow the best , and smoke the best. BECAUSE OF THESE people.

I need show them respect alot.

In the end, they should show me alot respect.

This is what i feel now.

TELL IDIOTS POLITICANS THAT THEY DESTROY FREEDOM
AND WELLDONE OR FACK CALL THIS ?
THEY DESTROY IF THEY KEEP NATURE ILLEGALL.

in the end they must have best bunker.
Problem is that no one is safe anymore at this time / when war comes.

Everyone is enemy almost then.

I dont care how safe your Bunker is.

When all is gone. How rebuild it ?

I dont care

MORE WEED NOW
PEACE

hello

why did this answer get here ?

im high now.
Sorry

please admins remove this and my crazy stuff before this

if not
i dont care
please do it anyway

sorry again

Rico Swazi

Well, damn. I have an outbreak of whiteflies. They could have come from anywhere, the soil I brought in, the wind or they were here already. I've got no idea how things were treated by the previous owners. The neighbor uses chemicals.

I mixed up a soap and vinegar solution and we sprayed everything. I got some fresh mint cuttings and made a hot water extract with garlic and cayenne which we will spray today.

I've never had these so any experiences using natural predators etc will be appreciated. There is a slim chance I can order some rove beetles.

Unfortunately, they devastated my papaver :(

Sad to hear this as that was one fine specimen you were holding.
All the eggs in one basket? Perhaps you dropped a few seeds on the floor, fumble fingeers and all :biggrin:

And is that a pet to the lower right of the papaver or your reflection? Kidding, unless you turned into an ewok

On a serious note, the way to win the bug war is to provide the habitat for natural predators to live with a diversity of plants and weeds. You can buy and introduce predators but they wont stay without suitable housing and food. Not a quick fix but very effective in the long run. Working for me quite well and I encourage you and others to give it a try.

Queen Annes Lace is one of the best for diversity of beneficials it attracts. Hit me up if you have any Qs, pics taken this morn minutes ago:tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hookahhead

On a serious note, the way to win the bug war is to provide the habitat for natural predators to live with a diversity of plants and weeds. You can buy and introduce predators but they wont stay without suitable housing and food. Not a quick fix but very effective in the long run. Working for me quite well and I encourage you and others to give it a try.

This is great advice, the way to make predators work for you is to get them to stick around, and hopefully breed!

On one of the MJ podcasts I listen too (I think it was dude grows) they were talking about grass mites. Apparently grass mites are fairly specialized in particular varieties of grass. The predators for spider mites prefer spider mites, but will also eat the grass mites. Some company is selling the grass already infected with mites as a supplemental food source for the predators.
It sounds scary to purposefully bring mites into your garden, but it is probably beneficial in the long run. Most people buy predators AFTER they have a problem, but we all know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured buds.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
This is great advice, the way to make predators work for you is to get them to stick around, and hopefully breed!

On one of the MJ podcasts I listen too (I think it was dude grows) they were talking about grass mites. Apparently grass mites are fairly specialized in particular varieties of grass. The predators for spider mites prefer spider mites, but will also eat the grass mites. Some company is selling the grass already infected with mites as a supplemental food source for the predators.
It sounds scary to purposefully bring mites into your garden, but it is probably beneficial in the long run. Most people buy predators AFTER they have a problem, but we all know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured buds.

Cool. That must've been on Wake and Bake, because I didn't hear it on Grow Talk.
DGC baby!

I'm gonna look for the mite infested grass dealer.
Lol.

Rico Swazi

if you grow it they will come :biggrin:

picture.php

eat lots of bad bugs
and go thru the change on the same plant

picture.php

diversity of plants bring a greater diversity of the good guys in greater numbers IME. This is one area of organics where 'less is more' does not apply. Let the weeds grow as nature abhors a vacuum

picture.php

Nettle seeds are about ready as are the lambs quarters seeds. We use them in bread.

I eat fresh nettle seeds for a quick burst of energy.

Microbeman; the last pic above is what I envision for that garden spot of yours lined with brick.
Looks like it would be a nice sheltered spot for an insectary.

Rico Swazi

Rico; Are those heal all, all heal, self-heal plants - prunella vulgaris in your 'volunteers' thread?

healthy

Sorry, I thought I answered this but no, close cousin salvia in that pic. Which leads me to ask if you are interested in Shepherdess’s Herb, Diviner’s Sage?

Prunella grows like a weed here. Just starting to blossom. I may have the trailer sold so I thought I would get a pic before it gets trampled.
picture.php

picture.php

I have had a keen interest in medical edible and useful plants for quite some time,
Y2K had a few like minded people looking for ways to survive when shit hits the fan.
Lots to eat in that pic above.

Edit- better pic of all those lovely flower tops, hope the trailer doesn't sell as it will be quite pretty in a couple weeks.

More rain would be nice, just stepped out to take this pic and I didn't rust
picture.php

Last edited:
sorry for offtopic

I like animals,

the birds and pigs is very cute.

I Dont like Cats, they are predators?

I like dog, bird, pigs, and cow
they always help,
guardian
food like eggs and christmas i like eat alot this meat.
Eggs is nice too.

this is the best :)

farming outside town, city living is not possible for me.
i go nuts

Animals do the best nutrients , this is the most natural and local.
Also only you need if you are serious .

My future dream.
Mini farm
alot animals

PEACE ALL

Rico Swazi

There are predators and there are Guard Cats

picture.php

Has tangled with opossum and raccoons and once jumped off that pole to catch a blue jay that was taunting him. got a few feathers but hit the ground hard so now he just sits there learning to fly when he isn't mousing around.

edit- the real predator
picture.php

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just finished straining and bottling another batch of mint 'tea' to use as an insect spray. I left it to sit about 36 hours after bringing to a boil. I was going to add a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol 70% or vinegar as a preservative but opted for 25 ml of EM fermentation in almost 4 litres. I've never tried this. Anybody?

PS. I miss my cat fiercely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctSqJDBqKc

Rico Swazi

h.h. ; is that your huglebeds? looking good and ready to plant something there soon? We need a place to discuss hooglin so as not to muck up this thread. I would create a thread but I am not a very good host but I love to contribute. I thought 'Keep on Hooglin' might be a catchy title (word play on Creedence Clearwater Revival's Keep on Chooglin but strictly platonic, lol)

I just finished straining and bottling another batch of mint 'tea' to use as an insect spray. I left it to sit about 36 hours after bringing to a boil. I was going to add a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol 70% or vinegar as a preservative but opted for 25 ml of EM fermentation in almost 4 litres. I've never tried this. Anybody?

PS. I miss my cat fiercely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctSqJDBqKc

Never have with EM, interesting. I have held simple infusions/extracts in the fridge for months at a time. efficacy seemed stable on both thyme and camomile infusions(separate not combined). I don't do many infusions anymore as nature seems to be doing the heavy lifting these days. Used to be plagued by cabbage whiteflies but haven't seen an outbreak in years. Hope you get your situation under bio control soon. Insectary FTW

Have you tried vegetable glycerine as an adjunct? I used one teaspoon dawn to one tablespoon glycerine added to said teas.
is there a reason you are doing a decoction and not infusion? Are you seeking different metabolites (or did you just have another senior moment and left the kettle on the boil
biggrin.gif
)

rescue cats are cool cats, I'll bet there is another one ready to fill that void when you are ready. Not as a replacement, but to help keep compassion flowing and love of life living. I wish you success in that endeavor my friend.

enjoy your day
tiphat.gif

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
h.h. ; is that your huglebeds? looking good and ready to plant something there soon? We need a place to discuss hooglin so as not to muck up this thread. I would create a thread but I am not a very good host but I love to contribute. I thought 'Keep on Hooglin' might be a catchy title (word play on Creedence Clearwater Revival's Keep on Chooglin but strictly platonic, lol)

Never have with EM, interesting. I have held simple infusions/extracts in the fridge for months at a time. efficacy seemed stable on both thyme and camomile infusions(separate not combined). I don't do many infusions anymore as nature seems to be doing the heavy lifting these days. Used to be plagued by cabbage whiteflies but haven't seen an outbreak in years. Hope you get your situation under bio control soon. Insectary FTW

Have you tried vegetable glycerine as an adjunct? I used one teaspoon dawn to one tablespoon glycerine added to said teas.
is there a reason you are doing a decoction and not infusion? Are you seeking different metabolites (or did you just have another senior moment and left the kettle on the boil View Image)

rescue cats are cool cats, I'll bet there is another one ready to fill that void when you are ready. Not as a replacement, but to help keep compassion flowing and love of life living. I wish you success in that endeavor my friend.

enjoy your dayView Image

Well in this case the line between decoction and infusion is kinda blurry. I did not leave it to boil but shut it off immediately then got around to straining the next day. Before I began, I cast an eye in the direction of my distiller but in my mind measured the advantage against cleaning out the equipment afterwards and pulled out my stainless pot.

When I left for the south in my motorhome, I thought about bringing Nevin the cat but thought he would just take off somewhere. I left her with Bushy Brian, the only other human Nevin would go to. Three months later Brian died from monster fast cancer. I flew back to Vancouver area from Florida to deal with Brian's affairs etc. I had my new puppy with me and I tried to bond her and Nevin but the pup was too hyper. While there I sold my car so Tad came to pick me up to take me to the Seattle airport to fly back to my motorhome in Florida. It seemed that KIS Farm would be the best rehoming situation for Nevin. She let me put her in a cage the night before.

Once released at the farm, she never came near any person and has not been seen for months now. I feel enormously guilty. In retrospect, I should have kept the car and driven with Nevin and the pup back to Florida and towed the car into Mexico.

BTW go ahead and discuss the HOOGLIE BEDS in this thread. Can I do one within a stacked stone enclosure?

h.h.

Veteran
I just picked up two “barn” cats.
“Barn” my a**. These cats are spoiled.
I’m running a petting zoo. The pig comes up for nose/fist bumps. I scratch their backs with a hula hoe. As you can see, I don’t use it for much else.

Those are just manure piles. My local material.
I started a small pond where the rabbit bedding (wood Chips) is (are). Decided I didn’t want it there, filled up with cardboard and the bedding. I’m going to level it off and try and get my next manure load dumped on top.
Pigs like to dig into it. After grubs I guess. Chickens and turkeys pick them over as well.
Picked up a tractor today. Still need a bucket. Then it’ll get spread around.
Tarp it and see if I can draw the worms up.
Closer to what’s being called “ back to Eden gardening”.
Or what I’ve always called “lasagna style”.