What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the only mulch at present was full of weeds and I usually mulch after the seedlings grow up a bit.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How did that volunteer turn out for you smoke wise? That one of mine I showed earlier in this thread was transplanted and forgotten about and ooops... looked barely alive

I threw some dried comfrey in a hole with heavy clay soil and put her in.View Image

she looks like this today

View Image

good genetics or the power of comfrey.... hmmmm

Oh ya, fergot...the volunteers turned out better than the Michoacán on the street here, according to the guys, I gave it to. It certainly is attuned to the climate here.
I'm thinking I'll plant some in December for a perfect April/May harvest. When in Rome...

My CBD cultivar is doing the shits. It seems to hate this climate. The Panama is still good so far.

I'm getting interested in this sativa pheno, still chugging along.

my phone is refusing to email photos right now....some pretty flowers.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My army of wasps finally building

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nutrient time

Nutrient time

I noticed a bit of yellowing here and there so chopped up a few Alfalfa branches and mixed with some vermicompost I dug from the center of a bin [about half a cup], some molasses [maybe half cup], about 2 tablespoons of stinky horsepoo [kept moist - anaerobic] and water. stirred well and covered with a cloth overnight.

picture.php

in the morning

picture.php

the bad smell was gone. Stirred well again and filtered with a paint strainer and diluted with about 4 times the water and applied to the soil.

picture.php

40degsouth

Hey Microbeman,
there was a bit of a discussion about anaerobic teas and additives a while back; I’m sure you caught it.
Is your GG tea a new experiment or something you’ve been doing for a while??? When you add aerobic v’s anaerobic....who wins?? Did you scope it??
I’m sure Stephen Speilberg’ll be interested in buying the rights to the movie.
Cheers,

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Microbeman,
there was a bit of a discussion about anaerobic teas and additives a while back; I’m sure you caught it.
Is your GG tea a new experiment or something you’ve been doing for a while??? When you add aerobic v’s anaerobic....who wins?? Did you scope it??
I’m sure Stephen Speilberg’ll be interested in buying the rights to the movie.
Cheers,

I can't really call it a tea. More a mix. I have done this periodically just for the nutrient value. I've always advocated some anaerobes.
I did not scope it. Maybe next time. I really just used the horsepoo for the N and took some from the anaerobic bag this time.

The GG went over my head. ???

40degsouth

Thanks MM,
I wish l had the ability to scope it out, it would be a battle of an epic scale. Billions and billions of combatants in a couple of drops of water. Mind blowing.
I remember Dan from Ganja Rebel saying you can’t tank mix BT because they outcompete everything else, nasty buggers.
GG’s is a bit of slang for horses.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks MM,
I wish l had the ability to scope it out, it would be a battle of an epic scale. Billions and billions of combatants in a couple of drops of water. Mind blowing.
I remember Dan from Ganja Rebel saying you can’t tank mix BT because they outcompete everything else, nasty buggers.
GG’s is a bit of slang for horses.

Bacillus thuringiensiis Israeli so far as I know is in endospore form and does not replicate in a tank so perhaps Dan is seeing something else. It works great for mosquitoes in a pond and does not affect other organisms AFAIK.
I used it extensively in the late 80s early 90s.

40degsouth

Or perhaps I’m spreading misinformation??
I thought l read it in the “Ganja Rebel” thread. It was a year or two ago.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All good things come to those who wait

All good things come to those who wait

Canadian Columbine

picture.php

Mexican Hibiscus

picture.php

Rico Swazi

That is good news on the columbine, hope the cbd plants take notice and get with the program. I totally spaced you were in a climate with different growing conditions and seasons. Funny how I thought you would find all biomass feedstock biologically active, plentiful and weed free, proof I may have had one too many fishslaps leading to this severe case of CRS. I would think the panama is loving the weather?

And how is the weather in 'Rome'? Did the recent tropical storms have any impact? Awning looks well built, will it eventually cover the RV?
I see alfalfa, what 'bout comfrey nettle yarrow for biomass and nutrients ?

Earlier this year I put some dried herbs in the holes of a few potato plants. Same area with clay soil as the volunteer. Mainly comfrey but it had nettle yarrow and lambsquarter also. Blew the neighbors mind when he saw the results.

picture.php

All the seed potato were same size , clearly visible which ones got the love, off and running soon as they broke soil, the ones up front without the amendment, not so much. mulched as they grew

picture.php

Kept a few for seed and gave a good many away as there were plenty to go around. Each plant was loaded. Seems to promote more stolons making for more taters per plant. and the young volunteer coming to life

picture.php

growing any fruit or veggies this year or strictly medicinal ?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got my answer to the CBD from a grower in Columbia. It will not grow here without supplemental lighting. This is because it flowers as soon as it begins growing. If I want to grow it I'll need to veg it to about 24 inches with a light on for 6 hours.

The panama red is doing fine. Alfalfa loves it here but clover not as much. I did not feel the storms at all. This area has very stable weather.

I might go right over the RV with the roof. I'm trying to get good tenure on the lot. Same reason for not establishing some bigger garden beds but vegies and fruit are so easy to buy here. Delivered every day out front.

I do miss good potatoes. I have not had any real tasty ones here yet. They all seem to have that 'green' taste.

I did get a truckload of wood chips delivered to the lot but I used it for mulch on the plants over there and put the rest in the compost stalls before I realized I should have brought some home - Alzheimers

Rico Swazi

started a makeover of the hooglie in late Jan
have a ton of half rotted wood so why not

picture.php

Soil came from the trench in the bed which I thought I would eventually put rounds of wood to walk on. Better access.

picture.php

took my time and filled in the voids with soil wetted down

picture.php

layer of soil, mulch and then seeded with wildflower mix

picture.php

kept me away from the news and a little exercise... win win hooglie 2.0

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope your gardens are healthy.
Potatoes are great aren’t they and the different varieties blow me away. One of the old ways of breaking up heavy clay ground was to plant a crop of potatoes followed up by globe turnips but I’ve used thistles for the same thing in my gorilla spots because they flourish without water or fertiliser and push down a deep tap root to bust up the ground.
Have you tried yams, taro or cassava MM??? One of the nicest things I’ve eaten was boiled yams.
I’m continuing my experiments into companion, edibles, planting this year, hopefully I’ll find some more.
Cheers 40.

Rico Swazi

Potatoes are a great crop for container no tills also. Endo myccorhizal . I grow them in rotation with peas when not growing cannabis. We prefer new potatoes over larger ones. They seem to taste better and are certainly more tender. I prefer yukon and fingerling while the wife loves her baby reds.

reds in no till, stolons everywhere , with the exception of sly

picture.php

the container next to it gave these up last month in July on the 4th. I have one more container of reds to harvest in a couple weeks

picture.php

speaking of clay, the bioswale was not completely effective at providing drainage. Still had problems with standing water. Had to dig a trench and put in 4 inch perf. to do it right. You can see the difference in color and texture of the soil at only a foot in depth. Hard as a rock when dry.

picture.php

picture.php

Hooglies are a good fit with this native soil of mine.

carbon +clay= CEC

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
40; I am a lover of yams.

Rico; when I become homeless, look for the old bus parked in your yard.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A day of success

A day of success

Two days ago my buddy spotted what he thought I had described as a rove beetle in the front area. Sure enough looks like one.

picture.php

I'm currently trying to upload a video from my phone, which I'll link to later.

So a short time after the rove beetle I received delivery of a 25 caliber firearm. It runs on compressed air and possession circumvents the licensing laws. They are available up to 50 caliber. Most amazing.

picture.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1E0hzi-yvU