What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

h.h.

Veteran
Where did they steal it from? Your porch?

California property while I was gone.
They got other stuff. Saws, a rotor hammer, mixer...
That I can understand, but an old ice chest with an installed lightbulb?
They’re still scratching their heads and probably their arms.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I do believe this is incorrect. I've grown both varieties of true mullein and never encountered a perennial. There are hybrids created for whacked out UK gardeners that claim perennial along with the hues of the rainbow. Of course anyone can be wrong about anything.

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I should add, that mullein is a prolific re-seeder which could lead to some believing it to be perennial It is also an allelochemical producer preventing other species from invading their spot. - hmmm - beat out sedge perhaps?

h.h.

Veteran
This sounds like a formula for trying to kill off all vegetation. It might be just as effective to use the black plastic method. I'm trying the out compete with clover [maybe alfalfa too]. Maybe I'll experiment with molasses but in the past, grass seemed to love it.

I was dealing with sedge in California.
I covered it with some old drywall which knocked it back.
The trouble is the roots. They spread and given the chance they come back up. They get under concrete and lay idle.

I was googling vinegar for sedge and found molasses mentioned often specifically for sedge.
Vinegar and h202 will also work.
A strong low pH ferment maybe?
Spot spray.

his recent book "The Organic Lawn Care Manual", Paul Tukey notes that nutsedge is a sign of low calcium levels; so have your soil tested and add lime or wood ash as recommended. And everyone agrees that this weed thrives in anaerobic (low oxygen) soils. Paul recommends using compost tea to introduce more life to the soil; Howard Garrett prefers molasses. I say feeding with bulk compost should do it.

https://www.gardensalive.com/product/is-nutgrassnutsedge-driving-you-nuts

Rico Swazi

Some people around here have confused foxglove with mullein

I heard hemp is good to out compete other vegetation
What are the 'rules' for hemp where you are Tim?

I would use fabric (carpet, area rugs, dryer felt) over black plastic for the longevity of the mat'l besides leaving the microlife below unharmed and intact. 15 yrs and counting using the dryer felt shown earlier.

bad joke of the day for obvious reasons-

Biochar for sale cheap at amazon

redlaser

Veteran
Some people around here have confused foxglove with mullein

I heard hemp is good to out compete other vegetation
What are the 'rules' for hemp where you are Tim?

I would use fabric (carpet, area rugs, dryer felt) over black plastic for the longevity of the mat'l besides leaving the microlife below unharmed and intact. 15 yrs and counting using the dryer felt shown earlier.

bad joke of the day for obvious reasons-

Biochar for sale cheap at amazon

On the foxglove/mullein, I was going to comment that Tim’s picture looks a lot like foxglove, and not the typical yellow mullein I see. Foxglove has a more uniform tubular flower though.
Tim’s pic of the rose colored mullein has a darker almost slightly glossy leaf which is unlike the yellow mullein more common in the Midwest and California.

Rico Swazi

spot on redlaser, I agree with the leaves looking a bit off

Looking for pics of this plant still flowering with snow on it late december.

it was yellow, the only color Ive grown
made a tea with it as well as in smoking blend with lobelia, mint and salvia

picture.php

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
spot on redlaser, I agree with the leaves looking a bit off

Looking for pics of this plant still flowering with snow on it late december.

it was yellow, the only color Ive grown
made a tea with it as well as in smoking blend with lobelia, mint and salvia

View Image
Curious about the effects of a smoking mix like that. I’ve heard of lobelia and salvia being used that way but was never adventurous enough to try myself.

What is in the container to the left of the kale? Looks like very large leaf clover or smaller leafed kratom.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The photo is from the internet. Just one of the hybrids garden variety. I've only grown and used the yellow.

Hookahhead

It’s been 2 weeks since I added the algae mulch layer. I am really happy with how this is working. It’s definitely helping to conserve water. I tried to peel some back to see the roots, but the roots have grown into the algae!
picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
It’s been 2 weeks since I added the algae mulch layer. I am really happy with how this is working. It’s definitely helping to conserve water. I tried to peel some back to see the roots, but the roots have grown into the algae!
View Image

Cool! I was interested in how this would work.
I wasn't sure if it would cause a impermeable crust or not.
Cool experiment!

Hookahhead

I’m happy to hear you’re interested! The material is pretty cool. Because it is very fibrous it hasn’t melted into a goo or formed a crust yet. Water beads on top, but only for a second or two, then it soaks into the mat. The top dries out completely during the day, but the soil layer remains moist. The roots have grown into the bottom of the mat the same as they would through fabric. It reminds me of fiberglass. These particular plants only have a few weeks left before harvest. I’ll post another update or 2 before then. It’s starting to break down a little now, but it would be easy for me to add a new layer every month

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Great. If the roots like it, I would assume all is great.
I wonder how it would work on the bottom of the soil in a wick system.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the foxglove/mullein, I was going to comment that Tim’s picture looks a lot like foxglove, and not the typical yellow mullein I see. Foxglove has a more uniform tubular flower though.
Tim’s pic of the rose colored mullein has a darker almost slightly glossy leaf which is unlike the yellow mullein more common in the Midwest and California.

Apparently since 2000 many hybrids have been developed. They do look like foxglove. I have no idea if the hybrids have the same attributes but will see what I can search up. Crazy humans.

Check out the list here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum

redlaser

Veteran
Apparently since 2000 many hybrids have been developed. They do look like foxglove. I have no idea if the hybrids have the same attributes but will see what I can search up. Crazy humans.

Check out the list here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum

Yeah, not sure why I would think mullein was any different than other plants, multiple types of cultivars usually for most in the plant world.

I’m usually looking for something new in hybrid f2 seeds of ornamental and veggies. Thought I had a vitex (chaste tree) that looked a lot like cannabis, serrated leaf and all, but it was apparently juvenile growth that lasted until the third year. After third year from seed it lost the serration. Got a white one from a blue flowering seed source though.

Rico Swazi

Not a fan but I do enjoy watching when I can. good video thanks.

Curious about the effects of a smoking mix like that. I’ve heard of lobelia and salvia being used that way but was never adventurous enough to try myself.

What is in the container to the left of the kale? Looks like very large leaf clover or smaller leafed kratom.

Those would be green beans and peas in the container with the kale and edamame interplanted with oats in the container to the left of that.
Never grown kratom myself, have you?

Had a good friend that had successfully used a mullein lobelia based smoking mix to quit cigarettes.

We added salvia, mugwart and others to enhance the psychoactive effects.
This link may help

https://herbarrific.blogspot.com/2016/05/how-to-make-herbal-smoking-blends.html

Found a fairly good PDF on the chemical constituents of Verbascum L. Species
first one on the list
others may hold pertinent information

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,38&q=FABAD+2004+j.Pharm.Sci.,29,93-107,2004

Pics from late 2016, almost new year
been snowing off and on for over two weeks

thought I had me something special

picture.php

picture.php

Rico Swazi

I’m happy to hear you’re interested! The material is pretty cool. Because it is very fibrous it hasn’t melted into a goo or formed a crust yet. Water beads on top, but only for a second or two, then it soaks into the mat. The top dries out completely during the day, but the soil layer remains moist. The roots have grown into the bottom of the mat the same as they would through fabric. It reminds me of fiberglass. These particular plants only have a few weeks left before harvest. I’ll post another update or 2 before then. It’s starting to break down a little now, but it would be easy for me to add a new layer every month

Interested here too Hookah and have a couple Qs for you
Are there worms working the soil right underneath the algae?
Would you be willing to do a few plants side by side from the start?
Might be fun to see if your algae has effects similar to spirulina for nitrogen fixing.
Better yet would be a chemical analysis but hope you consider some experimenting with it on plants from the get go.
Nice one