This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info. Scrap..

For those organic purists....be aware that some alfalfa is sprayed with insecticides and also grown with chemi ferts.... for the mass production of livestock feed. You can research the companies and find out.

I use alfalfa in every single re-amend. Careful kids...it can burn if not used correctly.

I believe that the tricontanol alfalfa contains had prolonged flowering on some types of cannabis in my garden when overused.

Comment

Alfalfa is one of the rawest amendments you can use - go lightly into that good night

Comment

Man it would be awesome to have comfrey available here as a dried powder....

I often push building up the humic levels in the soil with EWC and compost...get those humic levels up there and problems with ph and nutrient uptake diminish dramatically.

The more you recycle and incorporate EWC/compost in your re-amending practices,the better life gets.

Make sure to balance EWC/compost levels with drainage and aeration amendments as you recycle.

Seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by Gascanastan View Post
          Man it would be awesome to have comfrey available here as a dried powder....

I often push building up the humic levels in the soil with EWC and compost...get those humic levels up there and problems with ph and nutrient uptake diminish dramatically.

The more you recycle and incorporate EWC/compost in your re-amending practices,the better life gets.

Make sure to balance EWC/compost levels with drainage and aeration amendments as you recycle.

Seriously...

View Image

You can find comfrey root powder here, and they also sell dried comfrey leaf......

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy4 View Post
            You can find comfrey root powder here, and they also sell dried comfrey leaf......

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

Nice!!!!...10 bucks a lb. isn't bad if you are an addict.

I imagine once the hands go arthritic I'll be reaching for this option.....then again the tea and topdressing whole leaves works as well....

Comment

Nice!!!!...10 bucks a lb. isn't bad if you are an addict.

I imagine once the hands go arthritic I'll be reaching for this option.....then again the tea and topdressing whole leaves works as well....

I thought ten bucks was cheap, then I started growing comfrey, lol. This is my first year and I shared an order from horizon herbs from the people's republic of oryegun. I have a dozen plants for myself. So far I have made ten gallons of tea, and have a largish comfrey syrup batch started. Plus I have used at least five gallons of tea on my garden. Next year it will be kind of overwhelming..."..scrappy

Comment

Good info. Scrap..

For those organic purists....be aware that some alfalfa is sprayed with insecticides and also grown with chemi ferts.... for the mass production of livestock feed. You can research the companies and find out.
                word
                as is most livestock fed crops
                drowned in pesticides,aggressively monocultured & chemically mined
                lets not forget we dont label GMO alfalfa here in the U S of a

Comment

Originally posted by DARC MIND View Post
                  word
                  as is most livestock fed crops
                  drowned in pesticides,aggressively monocultured & chemically mined
                  lets not forget we dont label GMO alfalfa here in the U S of a
                  If that is all you can get, you can still be fairly safe composting it. And it does kick serious ass in compost.....scrappy

Comment

wtf I have to sit all the way back here? this is what I get for having a day job.

. c a n n a b i s . s a v e d . m y . l i f e .

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy4 View Post
                      If that is all you can get, you can still be fairly safe composting it. And it does kick serious ass in compost.....scrappy
                      & like comfrey its also a pretty perennial and super easy as pie to grow...
                      sad that it doesnt accumulate nearly as much biomass as nettle,borage,burdock,comfrey, gandule tree or the many other bioaccumilators & or potential animal feeds we can use.

honestly i think my fenugreek will grow 5x the amount of alfalfa in one season,go to seed,feed me and the soil before alfalfa can recover from a haircut....
                      i do like the pretty flowers alfalfa gives tho

Comment

Originally posted by ClackamasCootz View Post
                        To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:

1/2 cup organic Neem meal
                        1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
                        1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts)

4 cups of some minerals - rock dust

Ain't rocket science......

CC

any opinions of the basalt dust? i recycle over and over and never get the chance to play with new soils. besides when i recycle...

Comment

schwagg

The 'rock dust' term I used should have included an explanation, i.e. it's a mix I had made and bagged:

4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
                          1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store in PDX
                          1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
                          1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00)

No Dolomite Lime, Greensand or SRP was used. Or Azomite.

LOL

CC

Comment

Coot...
                            Dolomite......
                            I would like to believe that the bond between magnesium and calcium will eventually be broken when recycling soil for a # of years.....???
                            What is the deal with dolomite?..why doesn't it make sense and why does it work as a liming agent....only when WET.....?????

Comment

Coot...
                              What is the deal with dolomite?..why doesn't it make sense and why does it work as a liming agent....only when WET.....?????
                              it works best for peat based mixes & imo has to do with soil CEC
                              http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_E...Simplified.htm

Soil particles and organic matter have negative charges on their surfaces. Mineral cations can adsorb to the negative surface charges or the inorganic and organic soil particles.

Once adsorbed, these minerals are not easily lost when the soil is leached by water and they also provide a nutrient reserve available to plant roots.
                              These minerals can then be replaced or exchanged by other cations (i.e., cation exchange)

concentrations of cations in soil solution helps determine the degree of adsorption.
                              Very acid soils will have high concentrations of H+ and Al3+. In neutral to moderately alkaline soils, Ca2+ and Mg2+ dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by DARC MIND View Post
                                it works best for peat based mixes & imo has to do with soil CEC
                                http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_E...Simplified.htm

Soil particles and organic matter have negative charges on their surfaces. Mineral cations can adsorb to the negative surface charges or the inorganic and organic soil particles.

Once adsorbed, these minerals are not easily lost when the soil is leached by water and they also provide a nutrient reserve available to plant roots.
                                These minerals can then be replaced or exchanged by other cations (i.e., cation exchange)

concentrations of cations in soil solution helps determine the degree of adsorption.
                                Very acid soils will have high concentrations of H+ and Al3+. In neutral to moderately alkaline soils, Ca2+ and Mg2+ dominate.
                                Thanks Darc...I believe/ed it to be related to CEC as well...hence why it only works when wet,water is a conductor no....

.....of course we still wanna hear what Coot says... ..

Comment

Working...
                                X