What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horse manure and nothing else

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Horse owners avoid cedar and any sort of chemical treated shavings. On real ranches they usually use nothing.

The Revolution

Veteran
I personally dont like to use any type of manure in my mixes. I have used minmal amounts of Chicken and rabbitt poop, and worm castings, in a peat based mix, but this is about my limit. Rabbitt droppings dont actually need to be composted before using, but whatever I dont use in my immediate mix is usually thrown into the compost heap for later use.

Ive been thinking about starting a separate compost consisting of cow manures and possibly horse manure. Would you recommend 50/50 ratio of manure/straw to get it started?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I personally dont like to use any type of manure in my mixes. I have used minmal amounts of Chicken and rabbitt poop, and worm castings, in a peat based mix, but this is about my limit. Rabbitt droppings dont actually need to be composted before using, but whatever I dont use in my immediate mix is usually thrown into the compost heap for later use.

Ive been thinking about starting a separate compost consisting of cow manures and possibly horse manure. Would you recommend 50/50 ratio of manure/straw to get it started?

Using a compost calculator table is best so you can begin with a C:N ratio of 30:1 to 25:1
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/solidwaste/fileshtml/organics/compostCalc.htm

hyposomniac

I used 2 yards of composted horse manure/pine pellets in a raised bed built atop decaying willow logs.
I used my homemade leaf/grass compost in it as well.. but the horse was the bulk of it. Glad to see the calculator puts me in the right C:N range.
Peat/chunky DE and amendments were added..
Squash, cucumbers, celery and tomatoes were/are very productive.
Green and red-vein sorrel grew great, while other greens never took off (komatsuna and mustard, which usually grow in anything).

Here's the F'ed up part -- apparently this farm's horse compost contains actual horses. I found several chunks of horse bones, and was hesitant to use it..but here we are, my garden is fertilized with horse ghosts.
I was also hesitant about the pine pellets vs chips... any opinions on that?

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I use pine for kitty litter and the pellets are less likely to be kiln dried and thus tend to contain more resins(so I avoid the kinds that do because pine sap is bad for pets). Pellets can range anywhere from very natural, to industrial waste products that contain cutting oil and other pollutants.

Latest posts

Latest posts