What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First try and recycling

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Here is the damage at about 6.5 weeks. The damage appears to be halted, which is to say they aren't getting any worse. I gave them an EWC slurry and some fish hydrolysate just in case I was wrong about the cause of this. Cuts won't be ready by the time that these are harvested so I'm going to sow a white (Dutch) clover mulch to keep things active.

Pine

picture.php

picture.php

Scrappy4

Veteran
Pinecone, I think it's nutrient related. I have a small grow box, and the intake air is taken from a small utility room. Both my furnace and hot water heater is in that room, and it's my veg room. It runs 85-95 degrees F, and 10-15 % during most of the winter I do have to water more and I spray more, mostly in veg, just to raise the humidity, but when I forget to spray it really does not matter all that much. And my plants will stay nice and green untill I slow down the feedings. I don't feed much and use things like kelp, comfrey, nettle and some more FPE's in mostly bubbled teas. When I stop feeding I start to get yellowing about two to three weeks later. It does not make much difference if I stop feeding at week 3 or week 5. Just my 2 cents of course YMMV, but you did indicate they got better after a light feeding......scrappy

nukklehead

Here is the damage at about 6.5 weeks. The damage appears to be halted, which is to say they aren't getting any worse. I gave them an EWC slurry and some fish hydrolysate just in case I was wrong about the cause of this. Cuts won't be ready by the time that these are harvested so I'm going to sow a white (Dutch) clover mulch to keep things active.

Pine

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry you feel that way pine.. everyone has there own preference but I like mine just like you have it.. a little Mello Yello as I like to call it.. There may be some minor lockout issues possible affecting some yield but I like the fact that being yellow means shes ripe
for the pickin and for the most part nutes have been used.. my .02:tiphat: so FWIW Good job!!

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Pinecone, I think it's nutrient related. I have a small grow box, and the intake air is taken from a small utility room. Both my furnace and hot water heater is in that room, and it's my veg room. It runs 85-95 degrees F, and 10-15 % during most of the winter I do have to water more and I spray more, mostly in veg, just to raise the humidity, but when I forget to spray it really does not matter all that much. And my plants will stay nice and green untill I slow down the feedings.

I actually have a similar area with a T-5 HO fixture, but with no intake, blowing air, ect. The plants in that area are fine, but they are small, their nutrient requirements are different, and the T-5 doesn't create as much radiant heat. The theory behind the VPD nutrient issues is that the plant isn't transpiring so it can't move nutrients from the soil-roots to the leafs and nutrient deficiencies develop. Small plants really don't require that much so when they shut down transpiration wise it isn't as big of a deal. I do think it is odd for flowering plants to take such a massive dump due to nutrient issues in an organic garden. I honestly think I would have been fine if I had moved the plants away from the light when I noticed them getting pale in spots.

Sorry you feel that way pine.. everyone has there own preference but I like mine just like you have it.. a little Mello Yello as I like to call it.. There may be some minor lockout issues possible affecting some yield but I like the fact that being yellow means shes ripe

I do like my plants to fade, but I don't think it is a good sign when leafs start to crisp in the 6th week when they look nowhere near ripe. Actually, I don't even like crispy leafs ever. Ideally, my leafs finish with moisture and a smooth texture, but are pale.

My stated goal is a grower is to keep plants looking healthy 3/4ths of the way through flowering. It didn't happen this time.

Pine

prowler

Well Pinecone let me tell you this: You ain't got s**t to be ashamed of! Got my eyes on this - every day. :D

Started already my organic experiments and hopefully i can drop Bio Sevia one day from schedule completely.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Pinecone, I have a 600W light in my grow box along with that low humidity i mentioned. If the low humidity and big light was problematic I think I would know quick. Sometimes when the stretch takes shoots near the light I have to tie them back, but other than that I have no issues. And I agree with nukkelhead. Your plants are not suffering too bad, lol. And some yellowing in late flower is not necessarily a bad thing. I prefer a rough looking plant finish myself. I think they taste better and mature and cure quicker that way....scrappy

I like what you're doing with the recycled medium, I have a bunch of root balls decomposing right now, going to add some minerals and EWC and let it cook down some more before using it. I like your idea of keeping bugs and worms in your medium, it will definitely help fight against bugs.. I'll tell you something that happened with me.. I grow in the basement of an older house and the windows were all broken and boarded over.. I had spiders all through my grow room, hanging out with my plants and they were literally everywhere down there. There was a point where they were reproducing down there as I noticed a bunch of eggs.. Well, I ended up putting new windows in and sealed all the places air was getting in from outside.. This stopped the spiders from coming in, and shortly afterwards I was dealt a mite infestation that I'm still working to control.

I really think these bugs are key to keeping our gardens healthy. Can't wait to see what the next run has in store for you

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Pinecone, I think it's nutrient related.

I'm pretty sure Scappy is right. I top dressed the EWC and water in the fish on Monday and today I noticed definite signs of greening up. Some leafs that are were half crisping and half paling green a few days ago are now crisping and green. I'm guessing that 3/4 have 3 weeks to go. The reaming one will be ready sooner.

Pine

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Hey PC - love your grow and the zen-like approach to soil recycling.

I don't know if the following idea is possible or if anyone has ever tried it:

You keep the rootsystem and on the day you harvest you graft a clone to that rootsystem...

t33to

You keep the rootsystem and on the day you harvest you graft a clone to that rootsystem...

That would be interesting.

Scrappy4

Veteran

If you took the time to grow cuts until the stem sizes match up, grafting would be pointless.....scrappy

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
This grow is at about 10 weeks and things are getting weird. First of all, the plants are not done. Secondly, they look like they are re-vegging in some instances (particularly #3 and #4). I don't know if this is genetics, my environment, or grower error. I don't like how these plants are turning out. I'm tempted to grow something else, but part of me wants to see if I can fix the problems that I've had with these plants. The other issue is that I still only have enough plant for 6 cuts and I want to sog 9-12. These things are slow growing.

Pine

all 4 plants: You can see the vegetative growth on the tops of the last two plants.
picture.php

#2 top: This is really my only candidate for re-run. This one is shooting off some new growth on the top, but nothing like the others.
picture.php

#4 top: crazy! and bad
picture.php

the cuts
picture.php

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
The lights were on when they were supposed to be off. Somehow I messed up the timer again. This explains the re-veg.

Pine

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
sorry to hear that. when will you harvest them?

& hope you'll still get good smokable buds. :wave:

Pimpslapped

The pipe looking things are a perhaps misguided attempt to allow for some air exchange in the root zone as there are no drainage holes in my tote.

Just wanted to chime in with a useless comment. I seem to remember reading a long way back about somebody doing the same thing with the pipes in soil beds. I want to say that Soma or someone had recommended having pipes in a similar setup in a soil bed, but I could be way off on the original source.

Okay, there's my useless bit. Otherwise, just wanna say great to see the grow. I really like your tote system, though you may want to consider adding some rock dusts into it for the long term. I found this thread an interesting read.
soil remineralization: process and discussion

Keep'r Pimpin! :pimp3:

floral

Belated thanks to pinecone for documenting this whole experiment. With my garden about ready for harvest I am trying to figure out my own recycling plan, and this thread has been very instructive. For now the plan is to put some placeholder herbs or brassicas, maybe basil, cilantro and kale, in the containers (outdoor 3- to 7-gal geopots) after harvest, mulch with comfrey leaf, maybe a scoop or two of worm bin life, including worms or cocoons, into the containers, and keep those going until it's time to put next year's cuts in. Been so busy with harvest prep, squinting through a crappy microscope etc., I haven't had much time for researching, though. Next up: reading all the other interesting threads in the soil recycling forum...

Thx again for a great thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts