What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First try and recycling

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
youll be surprised what shows up in a living soil inside. i just recently only had some cuttings rooting indoors. within a few days i had jumping spiders, crab spiders, some crazy fucking micro wasp and other pest control critters show up. god knows how they found it, but they made home of it.

Nice plants,nice approach to growing and great information. I want to make the switch from pots to totes,would make my recycling much easier. Tagged:lurk:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Pot worms are cool.
I look at them as an indicator species.
I've got 'em too and it's all cool....they are our friends.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Nice plants,nice approach to growing and great information.

Thank you.

I want to make the switch from pots to totes,would make my recycling much easier.

I like the totes. The concept works well for me. I like bigger plants. My cab isn't really deep enough to fit 5-gallon HD buck stacked front to back so a tote is the best way to allow for a lot of soil volume.

The bad thing about using a tote is the weight of the containers. I can lift mine, but I can see where a lot of people would have problems handling them. If I had a larger scale grow I would build beds and put them on wheels. If I had to do a tote over again I would consider drilling 2" or 1" holes down the sides and covering them with fine nylon screen material (DIY smart pot).

Pot worms are cool.
I look at them as an indicator species.
I've got 'em too and it's all cool....they are our friends.

I was super excited to see them and to have moved up 1-level or so on the soil foodweb. There is some other stuff in there also (soil mites?). I owe a debt of gratitude to you and some others for showing me that outside materials can effectively be used.

Pine

Thank you.

I like the totes. The concept works well for me. I like bigger plants. My cab isn't really deep enough to fit 5-gallon HD buck stacked front to back so a tote is the best way to allow for a lot of soil volume.

The bad thing about using a tote is the weight of the containers. I can lift mine, but I can see where a lot of people would have problems handling them. If I had a larger scale grow I would build beds and put them on wheels. If I had to do a tote over again I would consider drilling 2" or 1" holes down the sides and covering them with fine nylon screen material (DIY smart pot).

Pine
No man,:thank you: I'm gonna be using 60L black plastic totes for mixing concrete and whatnot. Nice and sturdy and they fit the dimensions of my homebox pretty well. Been using them for a few years to cook and cure my mixes, just recently had the revelation that I should bring the plants to the soil not vice versa. Transplanting is always a a messy chore,especially for an apartment dweller,so why not make the middle man the main man,so to speak? Increased soil biology and health are definite pluses too.
I already tie my potted girls heavily,and have been thinking of going modular scrog. The totes would simplify things all around it seems.
I'm definitely gonna steal the smartpot concept,that's brilliant. Once again,thanks.
-SofE

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
pine, make yourself a dolly with some good casters

Yeah I think a furniture dolly type of thing with good casters is the way to go if you have to move totes around a lot. My light doesn't move so I have to move the plants up and down. During this grow I did have to take the tote down to water evenly before the stretch, and to remove the stuff I have it stacked on as it stretches, but soon as the plants stop growing up it will stay put more or less which is probably best for the plants, the soil life, and my back.

Pine

MrFista

Veteran
While talking modular scrog... I just finished a vertical modular scrog run. Basically a circle of chicken wire around a vert bulb. VERY happy with the yield, so much so I'm retiring 1 light (of 2) and only running 1 now.

I trained the plant around the light on the chicken wire until 2 weeks flower then let it go for it. Hard to get off the screen though, had to think about it. Eventually realised if I cut all the plants at the base I could then swivel the screen and work on it in comfort instead of trying to reach over the back. Worked great.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
While talking modular scrog... I just finished a vertical modular scrog run. Basically a circle of chicken wire around a vert bulb. VERY happy with the yield, so much so I'm retiring 1 light (of 2) and only running 1 now.

The reason that I'm growing in an office closet is because I have children that shouldn't be trusted to keep quiet about my grow. I can keep the office grow hidden (for now), but they would definitely know if I had a big light in our extra bedroom. Honestly, this would put them and me in a tough spot going forward - something I wish to avoid. This said, when they move out I'm going vertical with my beds on casters.

I peeled it back this morning just to take a look and I saw a lot of what I think were nematodes (little white worms about 2mm or so long).

A few other thing I noticed since adding the leaf material that are pretty cool:
(1) Fungus colonizing a piece of stem-stump
(2) Roots tips on the top of the soil and underneath the mulch.

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
A few other thing I noticed since adding the leaf material that are pretty cool:
(1) Fungus colonizing a piece of stem-stump

Pine

It's these little observations that change the mind from a hydro-store way of thinking to the bigger picture way of being.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the first time i saw this i was real happy. when the mulch is thick enough the roots actually grow upwards into the decomposing mulch.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
update

update

My SSH plants have been flowering for 3-weeks. Since the last update, and after bringing the leaf litter in from outside and top dressing with a generous amount of a boutique local compost product, I watered them with a kelp, fish, compost, and guano tea. I also did some pruning, removing some branches that didn't look like they were going to perform. Other than the tea, the pruning, the neem spray this morning, and once a day watering (about 0.5-0.75 gallons) I've pretty much left them alone. I think they look very healthy and I'm pleased with the "shape" that they are taking on.

Pine

The cab as of today: I'm estimating that I have about another foot (at least) of vertical space. I'm not concerned about getting overgrown at all. Another 6" of stretch would be ideal.
picture.php

Out of the box: there is a lot of plant mass now
picture.php

Well mulched: There is about an inch of leaf litter on top of another inch of compost.
picture.php

Roots below the mulch: These roots weren't there a week ago.
picture.php

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
use plant material from outside, and things that wont root while laying on the ground and things that have gone to seed are also a no no. i like to use weeds as most of them are dynamic accumulators, im sure fista will agree.

Took a walk around the yard just to see what sort of stuff is growing. I stumbled on some of the plant below which I think is nettle - which would be cool. Can someone confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Pine

picture.php

Is stumbling upon a patch of nettles considered a rare find where you are? Just asking because in the UK it is everywhere.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Is stumbling upon a patch of nettles considered a rare find where you are? Just asking because in the UK it is everywhere.

Honestly, I've never given nettle much thought (let alone looked for it) until Jay mentioned it as good mulch. I found the nettle pictured above in my half acre city yard so I'm assuming that it is pretty common. I really like the idea of harvesting stuff from the yard to use in my grow and I've heard it is pretty good eating as well.

Pine

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its more than a good mulch!

thats the perfect stage for eating. chop off the tops and make some tea( for you) boil in water for 10 mins and add some sugar to drink if desired. this will also promote the plant to grow more for you to harvest later.

Latest posts

Latest posts