What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First try and recycling

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Not to be critical Pinecone, because your plants look great, but they do seem a little large for their space. I flower in a 3X3 box that is 6'8" in inside height and I have a scrog screen set at 30 inches, even then I come close to running out of room when the stretch is big......scrappy

I totally agree. Ideally, for proper light intensity and distribution, I don't want them any closer than 9"-12" below the light, but I fucked up. I thought I set the timer for 12/12 on April 13th, and didn't realize it was still set for 18/6 until May 11th. Thus, I accidentally vegged these plants about 1-month longer than I thought was optimal. I believe that had I actually started flowering them on April 13th, they would have gotten to about the ideal size without as much crimping and crushing from me.

If they overgrow my cab, I'll simply chop them and start anew with the cuts that I took. When I say I still have hope - that is hope in finishing this crop out as opposed to starting over with the cuts.

Pine

mad librettist

Veteran
you have to laugh a little at the quirks of the human brain that result in these kinds of mix-ups.

I've done so many things like this in my life!

Scrappy4

Veteran
I totally agree. Ideally, for proper light intensity and distribution, I don't want them any closer than 9"-12" below the light, but I fucked up. I thought I set the timer for 12/12 on April 13th, and didn't realize it was still set for 18/6 until May 11th. Thus, I accidentally vegged these plants about 1-month longer than I thought was optimal. I believe that had I actually started flowering them on April 13th, they would have gotten to about the ideal size without as much crimping and crushing from me.

If they overgrow my cab, I'll simply chop them and start anew with the cuts that I took. When I say I still have hope - that is hope in finishing this crop out as opposed to starting over with the cuts.

Pine

You could always top them, then flower when they recover. I guess I'm not one to throw things out....scrappy

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
you have to laugh a little at the quirks of the human brain that result in these kinds of mix-ups.

It isn't just the human brain, though in mine is at fault here. There were a number of other coincidental factors that allowed this to happen as well.
(1) My timer is really confusing. In fact, I had to download the manual at the outset of this grow just to figure out how to go to 18/6 from 12/12.
(2) I was growing SSH which can take a while to start flowering so the lack of flower formation didn't concern me early.
(3) The plants were actually growing really fast in what looked like typical early flower stretch.

I'll be honest - I'm not mad at myself (or my timer) or even a little disappointed. This is a hobby for me and I have plenty of good bud to smoke now. At most I'm looking at a 6-week delay in having some SSH to smoke; no big deal.

You could always top them, then flower when they recover.

I can't really top them. There are no nodes below the very top of the plant with active growth as I pruned to eliminate all side branching (See post #92 above for a picture of a typical branch).

I guess I'm not one to throw things out....scrappy

Me neither. If I have to chop these plants will turn into good mulch. :)

Pine

Scrappy4

Veteran
]I can't really top them. There are no nodes below the very top of the plant with active growth as I pruned to eliminate all side branching (See post #92 above for a picture of a typical branch).

Geese, now i remember, I'm getting that stoner memory!

I am dealing with a trimming miscue right now. I let my plants get too tall, before I pinched them, so instead of lots of shoots that would end in terminal buds, I'm getting lots of secondary shoots off main stems that will have smaller buds. I'll have no trouble filling the screen, but the bud size and yield will suffer, oh well....it's nice to have full jars.....scrappy

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I'm getting lots of secondary shoots off main stems that will have smaller buds. I'll have no trouble filling the screen, but the bud size and yield will suffer, oh well....it's nice to have full jars.....scrappy

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by trimming all the side branches - except I'm just trying to fill a virtual screen.

Pine

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I'm going to be able to complete this grow. Since last week I did some more crimping and staked all the branches. I also did some more thinning, removing 3-4 main branches that were not as developed as the others.

Pine

The cab as of this morning: there is plenty of clearance to the light and since the thinning light distribution is better.
picture.php

Super cropping: I managed to lower the canopy by putting some serious bends in some of the stems.
picture.php

I'm still planning to knock some branches up with pollen from the male I saved

The saved male: not the healthiest looking plant. Honestly, it has been abused a bit - and it might have mites. I need to give it a careful check.
picture.php

Male flowers:
picture.php

mad librettist

Veteran
I've found that when a side branch needs to travel far to get to the canopy, it gets quite thick and robust. This only works if the branch gets up to the canopy during veg.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
update (3-weeks flowering)

update (3-weeks flowering)

We are at about 3-weeks into flowering now. All branches were bowed and staked to keep the height down and to prevent the plants from turning into bendy, unmanageable messes once the buds start putting on weight. The ties are made with rubber bands so that they will continue to "stick" to the stakes as I push them down to compensate for stretching. As they should be about done stretching, I'm in pretty good shape height wise. The canopy is very even and the branches are reasonably well spaced. I'm expecting a decent yield out of these despite the veg time mistake.

The plants are very healthy despite being crammed in my cab. I haven't done anything in particular to them in a while, but I do keep top dressing with dying leafs and pruned material - and also some dandelion green stems that were left over from dinner - and come to think of it a bit of alfalfa and kelp as well. I also attempted to pollinate two branches (one from each) plant and will probably hit these same branches with some more pollen in the next few days.

What can I do with vinegar and egg shells. I remember someone mentioning making a calcium supplement with these items, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've been saving egg shells.

Pine

Out of the cab:
picture.php

Early flower formation:
picture.php

In the cab:
picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Nice save man...

If you can find oyster shell that's a lot better than eggshell,somebody around here has a recipe for egg shell/vinegar though..CC maybe?

My 5 no-till pots look great..I don't foresee any problems with the no-till concept on indoor living soil gardens. However,it may become necessary to apply alternating re-amend's (at a yet uncertain rate) due to the size of the overall soil mass in the less than 5 gallon pots.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Nice save man...

Thanks.

If you can find oyster shell that's a lot better than eggshell

I've got a 50lb bag of oyster shell. Do I just top dress with it? If so, how much? I've already got dolomite lime and gypsum in the mix or on top in the past 2-months.

My 5 no-till pots look great..I don't foresee any problems with the no-till concept on indoor living soil gardens. However,it may become necessary to apply alternating re-amend's (at a yet uncertain rate) due to the size of the overall soil mass in the less than 5 gallon pots.

I'm thrilled it is working out. Seems like it would save a lot of time and mess. Alternating re-amends don't seem like that big a deal. I'm going along with the goal of constantly feeding the soil through with mulch and other things with the goal of not having a re-amend between cycles. I've got the cuts from these plants going now. It seems like it is going to be a pretty cool summer so I'm planning to plug them in when I'm done with these.

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
In the past I have top dressed with dolomite to correct ph issues. I've never top dressed with anything for calcium as a powdered calcium amendment via introduction from the surface. If I was going to do this,I would just sprinkle something like 1/4 cup across the surface of the soil.
Can't hurt anything to mix it with some EWC.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
do a google search or here for gil carandang and calcium phosphate.

This is what I found. I'm going to try it. Thanks Jay.

Pine

Here is a simple, natural method of generating calcium phosphate. Get eggshells and roast them enough to generate some good ashes. After-which, dip these roasted eggshells on about equal visual volume of vinegar. Allow it to sit for a couple of weeks until eggshells are practically broken down by the vinegar acids. You may use this diluted 20 parts water and can be sprayed or watered to the plants during the changeover period. When this is applied to that changeover period, it will improve plant health and productivity.

C

CC_2U

That formula works - and works very well. It's worth the effort to char/burn the egg shells because poultry shells are around 94% Calcium Carbonate with the rest made up of several elements - including Phosphorus.

It's in the burning process that Calcium Phosphate is created. What I found interesting on this formula is that he uses vinegar (Acetic acid) vs. the lactobacillus serum (BIM) that he uses on plant material.

I bought his book (Kindle version) for $10.00 - well worth the money, IMHO.

CC

C

CC_2U

BTW - oyster shell powder or even crushed oyster shells (2 completely different products) are also a good source for making the Calcium Phosphate mix. Definitely cheap enough.

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Pot worms are cool.
I look at them as an indicator species.
I've got 'em too and it's all cool....they are our friends.

I was wondering what those were!
I thought they were giant nematodes, LOL!

I have lots of these.
First I was a bit freaked out ,but all seemed happy, so.......:dance013:

SD:tiphat:

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
It's worth the effort to char/burn the egg shells because poultry shells are around 94% Calcium Carbonate with the rest made up of several elements - including Phosphorus. It's in the burning process that Calcium Phosphate is created.

Reading this I wonder if I didn't char them enough. I cooked them for about 45 minutes at 400, but they weren't black or anything.

BTW - oyster shell powder or even crushed oyster shells (2 completely different products) are also a good source for making the Calcium Phosphate mix. Definitely cheap enough

Which one do I have and how would I go about making calcium phosphate? Do you roast the shell?

picture.php
picture.php

I was wondering what those were!
I thought they were giant nematodes, LOL!

I have lots of these.
First I was a bit freaked out ,but all seemed happy, so.......:dance013

I thought they were nematodes also. According to Teaming with Microbes pot worms are more common in fungal soils such as those that exist in forest - which kind of makes sense if they came in with leaf mulch.

I haven't seen my pot worms in a while or the white bugs that I posted a few pages back. Now when I lift up the mulch I small dark some fast moving bugs.

Pine

Pot worms
picture.php

C

CC_2U

PC

That's oyster shell powder - Calcium Carbonate

Same form of Calcium as egg shells. You're good to go - just char and burn and follow Mr. Carandang's formula.

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts