What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Limo" bugs in Buildasoil worm shit

I bought some very expensive EWC from Buildasoil, to test out some of the old hippy weed shaman claims against raw science and education. Essentially answering the question: do I need magic worm sauce, or have I sufficiently covered those grounds through other means..
​​​​​

Theories have to be proven so here we are:

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

​​​​​​It came with a hand cut cardboard logo attached to the bag with a wad of duct tape. I should have known immediately to throw it out, as broclowns are obviously calling the shots behind this operation. Duct tape is the broclown calling card in the Cannabis grow scene. I would never hire a grower who owns a roll.

Since ICMag won't let me upload a simple 20 second video clip, here's a couple stills. The bugs are fast, but stupid.
20210717_130813.jpg

20210717_130832.jpg

20210717_130756.jpg

I do not like mystery bugs. I do not like bugs that bend, I do not like mystery bugs that crawl. I do not like mystery bugs with pinchers.. I do not like mystery bugs at all!

I do not like bugs that multiply and travel. My grow is filled with them now. Thanks, Buildasoil! Thanks Colorado Worm Company! Your concept of living soil is what comes from the end of a male cow!

​​​​​​Duct tape branding from a weed growing company? Is it symbolic? Am I being messed with? Surely they aren't being ironic? Are we embracing negative stereotypes now?

Really sick of all the duct tape growers who seem more like controlled opposition for the hydro industry than proponents of the regenerative movement. Luckily I only lost one bedroom to these pesticide-dependent bug breeders posing as weed farmers. Even the bugs they breed are too stupid to climb over a door threshold.

Good luck convincing the general public to bring earwigs and shit into their bedroom grow tent.. I see a huge trend in dwc following legalization. After everyone writes off organics thanks to the organic suppliers/instructors themselves.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use their "top dress" and suspect I may have gotten thrips with it. I figure just deal with it, and get beneficial bugs which I need anyways, and spray if needed. I just dug out 40 gallons of soil for a new run from a bin full of worms and who knows what else. Just treat it and move along, I say.

I also use Redbud, and they are closer.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
bill a sucker ... there are much better sources for quality organic amendments

brickweeder

earwigs eat detritus, and can be found in overly wet decaying organic material. Do you have perlite in your soil mix for improved drainage?

KIS

That looks like a rove beetle to me, but can't tell the size. If so they are beneficial. I can't comment on their branding or quality, but want to make sure the criticism is fair.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
That looks like a rove beetle to me, but can't tell the size. If so they are beneficial. I can't comment on their branding or quality, but want to make sure the criticism is fair.

plenty of local casting producers that have product without arthropods included

not impressed

imiubu

Eh, I'm not sold on that being an Earwig for a couple of reasons. A better photo would help w/ identification.
The presence of a small and mostly useless underwing would help towards a positive ID.

Not certain if they are friend or foe to us cannabis farmers. I know a few have turned up in my
home made compost and I've had no issues. They are creepy looking but IIRCC they are composters,
but the youngun's of some of their 2000 species, may eat seedlings/ roots.
Since there are 2k species of these creepy bugs, ID IMO is the first step. Understanding our critters is crucial
to garden balance/ health.

Shoot... those ugly damn centipede's creep me the hell out as they move so fast, yet several end up in my
indoor pots regardless, and cause no issues in there (except to freak me out sometimes lol).

It actually looks more like what we called "clicker bugs" as a kid. Flip them on their backs and they
will snap/ click to flip themselves upright again.

IMO thinking that commercially produced (or even the back yard worm bin) will be "bug" free is
kinda going against natures ways.
Don't take products directly into the home and if ya do... screen it first if concerned w/ bugs that can
be seen by the naked eye.
I worry much more so about those I cannot see however :yoinks:

Best to ya.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I thought it looked like a rove beetle too. If it has longer pincers on its butt that work, then earwig. If rove beetle praise Ala; get some of that.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
plenty of local casting producers that have product without arthropods included

not impressed

Well you can't buy my compost nor vermicompost without bugs and people line up for it and are disappointed if there are no free worms and bugs included. The only pure castings come from the larger worms. There is no such thing as pure red wriggler castings unless the supplier has fiddled with it.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
false on a number of accords

first of all you only quoted a single statement so falsehood on a 'number' of accords is difficult to conceive. Second please show me.

I have been raising worms for over 30 years and red wrigglers have small poops which stick together. The 'castings' one buys which have the consistency of dark largish grains of sand typically come from the European and African species of worms. Similar appearances from red wrigglers have normally been dried out and screened. Look good to novices but comparatively poorer quality.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
first of all you only quoted a single statement so falsehood on a 'number' of accords is difficult to conceive. Second please show me.

I have been raising worms for over 30 years and red wrigglers have small poops which stick together. The 'castings' one buys which have the consistency of dark largish grains of sand typically come from the European and African species of worms. Similar appearances from red wrigglers have normally been dried out and screened. Look good to novices but comparatively poorer quality.

It is incredulous that you are under the impression that your experience directly invalidates mine. Beyond having posted diaries with high quality sourced castings that came with viable worm egg casings and no arthropods I have also sourced castings that were well suited for cannabis that were not exclusively red wiggler. Tested by Cornell.

The variables that determine high quality are just that. In regards to BOS I recall when they were failed chem gardeners and watched the intention to revenue take many shapes until they started selling/support organic inputs at a premium. Premium price deserves a premium product.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is incredulous that you are under the impression that your experience directly invalidates mine. Beyond having posted diaries with high quality sourced castings that came with viable worm egg casings and no arthropods I have also sourced castings that were well suited for cannabis that were not exclusively red wiggler. Tested by Cornell.

The variables that determine high quality are just that. In regards to BOS I recall when they were failed chem gardeners and watched the intention to revenue take many shapes until they started selling/support organic inputs at a premium. Premium price deserves a premium product.

What is incredulous is that you did not read correctly what was stated and did not address the point made about red wrigglers. I never once said that quality vermicompost must have arthropods. I thought your were astute.

BTW tested by cornell means diddly. Also BAS never sold anything but organic inputs.

EDIT; I am appreciative of your success with growing using what you get. I have nothing against that whatsoever.

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Come on now Tim. A local casting producer using Cornell to assess the microbiology in his castings is not diddly.

As for the red wigglers I source castings without insects that are pure wiggler castings. I addressed the statement years ago in a tremendous amount of diaries.

People cashing in because their market is grossly ignorant is BOS's value add. Not different than bottle companies but at least it focused on organic production. Expecting BOS to meet an already existing measure of quality is not unreasonable, but instead offers them a chance to reestablish their value add on excellence not just fluff.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use BAS "Top Dress" which has castings. The stuff seems to do a pretty good job. I use it in teas, and on top of the soil, often as make-up for when the soil in the bag goes down. Another product of theirs I use a lot is "Big 6". I have a pack of their soil replenisher to restock minerals in 40 gallons of soil from a run, that I need to mix in and let compost, so I can use the soil again.

But I also buy from Redbud, Aribico, Rootwise.

Why argue about what you put in YOUR soil? geeze.