What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sulfur rich Allium and brassica FPE for enhancing terpenes

carnalrekt

Has anyone gone down this road yet? Am brewing one right now with garlic/onion/mustard grain/mustard leaf/ramps. Will be using epsom salts as well on the current grow. I am hoping to do some controlled experiments in the near future when i have more than one plant on the go. I am also curious if alliums and brassicas and their subvarieties have different effects should it work..Hopefully this encourages further experimentation by other icmag members as well

40degsouth

:plant grow:Interesting, I’ve seen a lot of people use garlic sprays for pests but never for a foliar nute boost. There’s also some smoke and mirrors regarding basil bolstering terps as well, as a companion plant?? I’ve always believed that this is because of the root exudates, working in symbiosis with the two (or more) different varieties of plants, rather than the terps/smells/covalent molecular bonds being taken up, in the atmosphere, through stoma.
Experimentation is the way forward.
Cheers,

Last edited:

carnalrekt

Many people use Epsom salts for plants. ;)
Yea true. Nothing new there. . My hypothesis is that there will be a similar yet different effect with extract from sulphur rich plants. Im all out of meds at the moment and I am only running one plant so im chucking everything i have at it lol. I dont know whether its working on this growas I have nothing to compare it to but I will be optimistic if its super stanky. Just tryna plant seeds...and ideas

carnalrekt

:plant grow:Interesting, I’ve seen a lot of people use garlic sprays for pests but never for a foliar nute boost. There’s also some smoke and mirrors regarding basil bolstering terps as well, as a companion plant?? I’ve always believed that this is because of the root exudates, working in symbiosis with the two (or more) different varieties of plants, rather than the terps/smells/covalent molecular bonds being taken up, in the atmosphere, through stoma.
Experimentation is the way forward.
Cheers,

Interesting never heard about basil having an effect. I will look it up.

Nope no way im trying to foliar it. Its going into the soil. It has only been three days fermenting with leaf mold, and a tiny taste of it tells me it needs a lot of diluting. .

There was a guy that came onto the shaping fire podcast who was talking about how and why Guanos work for turning up the turpenes(the high sulphur content) and how they only turn up only certain ones and how guanos from different sources turn up different terpenes ( or maybe the same ones in different proportions?). He also went on to say how the harvesting if the stuff isnt super friendly to the bats in many cases and one could achieve a similar effect with MgSO4. I am hoping to do away with both with my experiments.

My hypothesis is that an fermented plant extract should make the sulphur compounds in the alliums and brassicas more available by the plants roots (say the same way you would make a Nettle fpe for the Nitrogen). ...and that a plant grown with an FPE made from say wild garlic will taste notable different from one grown with an FPE made from Mustard Leaf or cabbage/broccoli/cauli/kale or whatever commonly used cruciferous veggie is in the fridge lol

Great outdoors

Will be interesting to hear your results.
My only concern is garlic has antibacterial properties and what that would do to your soil life.
In my eyes sulfur, magnesium and potassium are the big ones for terpene production. Kinda makes sulpomag an obvious choice in flower.

G

Plants exude carbon, that's the companion influence, and the compost influence flavor. You can easily steer what plants exude, and therefore which microbes they attract. Hopefully some day a carb profile will be attached to each Cannabis strain so commercial farms can diagnose their problems with their new strains the way a seasoned closet grower does with his. (Of course if you're on the internet, you probably believe Cannabis doesn't uptake complex carbons.. It only takes up metals and exudes carbons, apparently, according to the internet)

Allicin comes from root crops. Maybe a good thing, maybe a bad thing. (Maybe why one of my root boosting microbe products smells like potatoes?)

Sulpomag is pretty standard for flavor.. It will turn those cheapo Mexican doctor office lollipops with the rope into gourmet Ringpops.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Hi folks very interesting topic. I have read here that some guys use fennel as topdress for better flavour. Fennel won't be a good companion plant since fennel suppress most plants it grows with.

carnalrekt

Will be interesting to hear your results.
My only concern is garlic has antibacterial properties and what that would do to your soil life.
In my eyes sulfur, magnesium and potassium are the big ones for terpene production. Kinda makes sulpomag an obvious choice in flower.
I was slightly concerned as well at first...

I made up a jadam microbe solution and drenched the soil mix a few weeks before planting. Leaf mold and potato mash in a bucket of water till plenty bubbles on the surface is pretty much it.

The fpe iwas made with the leaf mold ss well and in spite of the garlic and about a pound of ramps there are still plenty bubles with a light stir so i am optimistic it wont do much damage if any after dilution

epsom salts has antibacterial properties too and for that matter sulphur as well

I imagine there would be a point where it would be counterproductive to have a higher dilution which is what i hope to start to find out in a couple months.

​​​​​​

Great outdoors

Well you inspired me so to say.
I had a batch of alfalfa tea brewing in the garden the other day while I happened to be harvesting garlic. Pulling out those big bulbs with the big healthy white roots gave me an idea.
I figured all that soil around the root ball and those healthy white roots had to be good for biology. Didn't go too crazy, maybe added 5% garlic root as compared to alfalfa. The alfalfa was already cooking pretty good and was taking on it's barnyard smell. Now two days after adding the garlic the batch is ready and has lost all foul odors and has a hint of garlic smell. There is no more bubbling and no sign of any biology forming on top like I will often get.
So not sure on what is left alive in the tea and how it will react with my soil life. Put a strong dose on a couple tomato plants a couple hours ago to see if any negative response. Planned to hit the weed plants with it tonight at a reduced dose...

Great outdoors

So by the time I added the alfalfa tea it was starting to get back it's barnyard smell. Mixture foamed heavily when adding water so there was some biology still there.
Going to give it a neutral rating. Plants didn't give that little burst of goodness, but they also showed no ill effects. Just steady growth. I also diluted it to half the usual strength I would use, so. ..
I have some more garlic to harvest. I may keep the roots for a future batch of alfalfa tea.
Purple Romulan 36hrs after the feed. A little thirsty, just before getting watered.

PXL_20210710_161936459.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts