What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungal to bacterial ratio

Growenhaft

By the way was this plant you saw a variety like skunk or a russian ruderalis?

It was a "grüne Hessin" won't tell you anything.

Now I have tried so hard to provide as little information as possible in order not to get away from the actual topic.

What it really is about is the learned ability of cannabis to draw nutrients from a sandy, rocky medium. She still manages this splendidly today.
In addition, in spite of changed and adverse conditions, such an effective defense could be built up to protect itself. we are enjoying this today.

So I wanted to raise the question of who needs it more urgently.
who really benefits more from the symbiosis?

Just because we are dealing with bacteria and fungi does not necessarily mean that all of them serve our plant.

it is more of a trade between soil life and plant ... "you give me this ... i give you this"
and among them there are loads of parasites that deliver little but take a lot.

We know that about 2/3 of the available oxygen is stolen from the soil in a pot of soil, only 1/3 remains from the plant. at average r earth! Many use designer soil with only the best ingredients for their grows and add fungi and bacteria in abundance ... it can be assumed that this will turn the oxygen content for the roots even more into negative.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to expose the parasites and only promote and support the soil life which trades fairly with our plants?

Do you understand now what I'm getting at?

we should first identify before we speak meaningfully about a proportionality.

because too much soil life does not have to mean something good for our plants ... in terms of health, development and yield.

To put a cannabis plant of today (or yesterday) in a fully sterilized medium,

as I said, that's not the point. You have bacteria everywhere in every medium ... but different strains depending on the medium. Life and living space must be consistent.

my question is this.
if cannbis was able to learn how to produce strong cannaboinide with soil life in stony sandy medium and how to produce hops with soil life in humus, humulone and lupulone ... isn't it more sensible to look at soil life in sandy medium?

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

It was a "grüne Hessin" won't tell you anything.

Now I have tried so hard to provide as little information as possible in order not to get away from the actual topic.

What it really is about is the learned ability of cannabis to draw nutrients from a sandy, rocky medium. She still manages this splendidly today.
In addition, in spite of changed and adverse conditions, such an effective defense could be built up to protect itself. we are enjoying this today.

So I wanted to raise the question of who needs it more urgently.
who really benefits more from the symbiosis?

Just because we are dealing with bacteria and fungi does not necessarily mean that all of them serve our plant.

it is more of a trade between soil life and plant ... "you give me this ... i give you this"
and among them there are loads of parasites that deliver little but take a lot.

We know that about 2/3 of the available oxygen is stolen from the soil in a pot of soil, only 1/3 remains from the plant. at average r earth! Many use designer soil with only the best ingredients for their grows and add fungi and bacteria in abundance ... it can be assumed that this will turn the oxygen content for the roots even more into negative.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to expose the parasites and only promote and support the soil life which trades fairly with our plants?

Do you understand now what I'm getting at?

we should first identify before we speak meaningfully about a proportionality.

because too much soil life does not have to mean something good for our plants ... in terms of health, development and yield.

as I said, that's not the point. You have bacteria everywhere in every medium ... but different strains depending on the medium. Life and living space must be consistent.

my question is this.
if cannbis was able to learn how to produce strong cannaboinide with soil life in stony sandy medium and how to produce hops with soil life in humus, humulone and lupulone ... isn't it more sensible to look at soil life in sandy medium?

I understand now yes, must be the translation, so some sentences might not have the exact same message in another language.

Still even in sandy soil as you say there is a balance and parasites are a part of it.
Why eliminate them? they don't serve our plant but they serve their purpose. Our plant is part of a bigger picture.

I don't think that cannabis had such amounts of cannabinoids before man stepped in with selection.

Another question, is the "native" medium the best medium to make the plant give us what we seek?

Last edited:

Growenhaft

Yes, I understand now, the translation must be so that some sentences may not have exactly the same message in another language.

I like to believe that

but it is also your pattern of thinking that stands in your way.

it is completely irrelevant how much THC was developed by the plants. what matters is the fact that they could generate.

look, the first stoners and drug dealing gang were the Scythians. we know that the majority of cannabis 3000 years ago had a potency of around 1.5% THC. we know this from grave goods from this time.

But we also know that even then there were plants with a THC content of around 12%. also from grave goods. What is special about these THC-strong finds were the corresponding tools for smoking. clear indication for drug use, thus self-explanatory that this was only possible through selection and cultivation ... i'm already deep in the matter ... but it distracts from the topic. And it is about the growing areas from that time and thus the nature of the medium for the cultivation. Because the medium plays a major role in this.
If you look at the Pamir region by satellite, it can be clearly seen that, as is usual in a mountain region, the subsoil is stony and sandy.

The cannabis also grows in soil, rock wool, coco, water, etc. is due to the strong adaptability of this plant, the question is whether the development towards THC production would have taken place in any other medium ... and that is very doubtful. It is more likely that our plant in the medium of earth did not have such a big reason to do excessive chemistry. the sewing materials were much more readily available. In earth there is a much more species-rich soil life ... it is better protected in earth than in sand, silt and stone where soil life is exposed to the adverse conditions of cold, frost, heat and drought.

The structure of the root system, the enormous need for oxygen, the extreme adaptability and sensitivity to waterlogging also suggest that this plant did not develop in the soil.

Warum sie eliminieren?

Please read that again ... is it really there in the translation?

I don't want to kill anyone ... only if I have to. it was about promoting the good. So when we are talking about the relationships in soil life, we also need to know what which trunk is doing sustainably ... and what it is using for it.

The reason why so many choose to grow with the medium Coco, for example, is precisely this.

In the Coco you have a selected medium in which there are more beneficial organisms than in the earth, proportionally when it comes to supporting metabolic processes and being able to absorb nutrients more quickly. this is rewarded with rapid growth and a richer harvest. Coco is very far from being a dead medium, as it is often put down by growers with soil. You have fewer tribes in total, but the number of tribes that seem to hinder and rob the good tribes at work is in a better proportion.

The ratio of the right living beings depends on the habitat. the selection of the constituents of the earth, what it consists of, therefore determines the limits of the proportions. this means that you cannot simply mix up the conditions on soil life as you would like and then transfer it to humus. because conditions there will change quickly. a polar bear in the desert does not catch any fish.

So if we are concerned with the composition of soil life, then this cannot be done without adapting the medium. and only makes sense if the useful can be selected by knowing who delivers what and what he takes for it.

G

Cannabis learned opportunity from its hardships. I'd wager Cannabis contains more microbes than any other plant. I've watched the Cannabis gene pool utterly collapse, and it correlates with decline in native microbial populations. The modern grower is so confused, he thinks a native microbe comes from a local oak tree.. Native microbes are in the seed.. Until you've soaked it in all your snake oil solutions and anti fungal at every stage of its life.

PolyChucker

I’m a practical person.. don’t really need to get into philosophy about this issue.
I started buying this “420” soil available locally (very dorky yea but it’s good!).
It has beneficial bacteria and fungi.
I’ve noticed a big boost in growth over comparable good soil without microbes, maybe 20%, very noticeable growth boost.
this soil costs about $5 more than regular good potting soil. But I’ve observed that you can use a little soil with the microbes and fill with other cheaper organic potting soil, and still get the benefits.
I’ve also “seeded” my free local compost with this microbe soil and my vegetable garden is going insane.

my hierarchy is
-lowest is big box store “grow mulch” glorified mulch sold as soil, very bad moisture retention
-proper potting soil with good content peat moss and perlite, much better water retention
-good potting soil with added microbes - best I’ve tried so far.

Soil biology is very complicated so why not try some soil with added microbes and see if that helps?

PolyChucker

Here’s what they put in it:

Beneficial Bacteria
Bacillus subtilis 13.65 CFU/cc (40.00 CFU/g)
Bacillus licheniformis 13.65 CFU/cc (40.00 CFU/g) Bacillus amyloliquefaciens 13.65 CFU/cc (40.00 CFU/g) Bacillus megaterium 13.65 CFU/cc (40.00 CFU/g) Streptomyces lydicus 68.24 CFU/cc (200.00 CFU/g)

Endo Mycorrhizae
Rhizophagus intraradices 0.04 Propagules/cc (0.13 Propagules/g)
Rhizophagus clarus 0.02 Propagules/cc (0.05 Propagules/g)
Septoglomus deserticola 0.02 Propagules/cc (0.05 Propagules/g)

40degsouth

I’d hazard a guess at 50/50 being an annual but l do understand the wish to manipulate for veg/flower. I’ve trialled bread yeast soil sprays and fruiting bodies can be observed growing on media and top dressed fertilisers, over night. I can’t say, however, that I’ve been able to tell any difference in side by sides.
The best way I’ve discovered to manipulate vegetive and flower development is through ACTs with additives; weather this has an effect on the fungal dominance l don’t know.
Cheers,

40degsouth

Hey Sunshineinabag,
sweet post; it’s a very different method to Chris on the “How to ........” Korean Natural Farming videos and probably a bit easier. I am left wondering about the brewing method without any aeration. Although there’s a raft of mould’s and beneficials floating on the surface, wouldn’t everything underneath be anaerobic and potentially start fermenting into things like alcohol, or have l missed the point and that’s the bit that’s harvested?? A mask might be good in that situation to prevent breathing in harmful inoculants.
l was also wondering if you could speed the brewing process up in an ACT and use a lot less of your harvested material. Perhaps even a direct inoculation to the soil with the rice under a top dress or mulch layer.......very interesting.
I was also wondering if below the 60 degrees F (16 degrees C) the microbes become dormant rather than die off??
Cheers,

Last edited:

Great outdoors

What many do not want to believe ... cannabis basically does not need any bacteria or fungi ... it also works very well without it.

Cannabis did not originate on a humus-rich soil ... cannabis originated in the sandy stony mountain regions.

I am sure that it was the soil that separated hops and cannabis ... hops in humus and cannabis in the sandy, actually very nutrient-poor medium.

if you take a closer look at the region in which cannabis originated, consider the period from when hops and cannabbis developed from a plant, you will not miss the fact that a mountain developed from a flat steppe at precisely this time ... by shifting the earth plates.

that means two fundamental things have changed for our plant within a relatively short period of time.

1. the medium
2. the altitude of the location.

This shift did not happen fast enough for the plant not to be able to adapt.

she had to develop new survival strategies. was exposed to a completely different climate, more intense sunlight ... also the bad rays.

she had to find ways to take in the little food that was in the ground ... she had to start doing chemistry in a higher mass.

it is a very exciting story in which fungi and bacteria play a very subordinate role.

The special thing about cannabis is therefore to also grow it in contaminated soil ... soils that are contaminated with heavy metals and poisons ... to clean the soil again. i have seen laboratory values ​​of the soils before and after 3 seasons of cultivation. in the starting soil there were hardly any significant strains of bacteria and fungi ... after 3 years there were many ... but still no comparison to a soil that can be described as healthy.

the question arises.

who needs whom more urgently?

do the fungi and bacteria benefit more from a symbiosis with our roots ...?

the most impressive cannabis plant i have ever seen, stood on an old abandoned military site of the russians in the sand ... cih am not even able to describe it even remotely, so i do without it.

As you say cannabis's true origins are from arid, fairly barren soil. This in itself would suggest that cannabis is heavily michrorizorial dependent to grow to the sizes it does in these environments.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Cannabis learned opportunity from its hardships. I'd wager Cannabis contains more microbes than any other plant. I've watched the Cannabis gene pool utterly collapse, and it correlates with decline in native microbial populations. The modern grower is so confused, he thinks a native microbe comes from a local oak tree.. Native microbes are in the seed.. Until you've soaked it in all your snake oil solutions and anti fungal at every stage of its life.

I have 6 for 6 seeds popped after soaking in water with a little H2O2 to get tails. Did I kill off all this native microbes in the process?

I am using the bloom version of the Rootwise microbes in my flowering run 2. The smells are coming out nicely this time.

Latest posts

Latest posts