What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic commercial nutrients

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've posted a really good video on here twice.

I'll have to find it and watch. Clay soil I have plenty of, and the eqpt to dig the holes and stir it up.

That urea is making the wood chips pretty black. In the 80 gallon tumbler, with wet leaves, the chips are getting dissolved. The leafs seem immune. I put a lot of urea in there, and will add more chips today. I have a hunch that tumbler stuff will get put in a 100 gallon tub, and made into a worm bed to further decompose it, especially the willow oak leaves. I already have a bin with nothing but peat and worms. The idea is to use 1/3 peat, 1/3 compost from those two worm bins. The rest will be amendments and drainage. No idea if it will work, but I bet it does.

I like the soil pH to be above 7.

St. Phatty

I think you need to let it burn without oxygen.

If you're going to make Charcoal to sell to people Bar BQing, yes.

Most of my burn piles are done on wet days, so when I stop feeding the fire oxygen, it goes out.

The resulting Char is something plants really like. Also it's a source of Potassium.

When I'm mixing up nutes, I pour a few gallons of raw Char in the 30 gallon bucket I use ... while holding my breath.

Then I go away and do something else while the dust sorts itself out.

When I come back, I mix it good. At that point what is floating on top is burnt wood pieces. I pull that off and put it in a "char" bucket.

I haven't been real scientific about it, but Cannabis plants like that 1/2 Char when I put it in their pot.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
How big are these chunks? What is wrong with the ash that is on the bottom of the bucket?

What stage of growth is the char applied, and how?

kritios

How big are these chunks? What is wrong with the ash that is on the bottom of the bucket?

What stage of growth is the char applied, and how?

I have only been using biochar for a few years but I add it to my compost pile. A mix of different sizes works fine: large chunks add aeration, smaller ones turn into soil carbon quicker.

I also mix it in to my soil mix for pots. It probably ends up being only a few % of the soil volume, but I think it helps.

To answer the OP's question: I have use bottled nutes in the past. I used roots organics line when I was doing cabinet growing. I got away from it, mostly because of cost. I tend to use mostly dry stuff now: kelp, bone meal, guanos.

G

If anyone wanted to put the legal market to absolute shame, fund a water-only grow op.. All the "organic" bud at the weed stores tastes like pk13/14 Mosquito dunk and bud candy.

Water-only is a misnomer. Feed minerals microbes and acids with every watering.