What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garden Lime vs. Dolomitic Lime?

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I bought some lime that appears to NOT be dolomitic lime. Is this bad? It's the only lime I've been able to find around here.

The package says it is calcium carbonate. But I see that dolomitic lime has magnesium in it too. What's the difference? Should I take this stuff back?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi tony, dolomite is better if they have it. think of it as insurance against pH problems :D, you could probably get it online - thats what i do - 3kg bags. its a pretty regular but obscure gardening product. i have read that some use crushed oystershells instead with success but i've not tried that myself.

good luck,

V.

i got a 40lb bag of DLime from lowes for $3-4(can't remember), if you haven't checked lowes, home depot, and walmart(last resort) then you should, otherwise do like verdant suggested and get online

H

Hal

If you live in the south east US you can find it at a store called Southern Season.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I got this stuff at Lowe's, which is the only place around here for that sort of thing (small town). They used to carry the dolomitic lime, but at this time of year their garden supplies are low.

I guess what I'm asking is what's the difference between the two kinds of lime? I know the chemical difference, but I want to know how this affects its use as a soil amendment. Do they both do the same thing? Do they both act as a buffer to regulate pH and provide some calcium to the plants? Are they interchangeable or not?

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey guys- dolomite lime is a medium release lime and mag mix that lasts for 30-60 days, whereas garden lime is a quick release

maryjohn

Veteran
no jammie, that is incorrect.

"garden lime" is a loose term denoting whatever the person filling the bag thinks it means. Some places it just means non-hydrated, other places it means dolomitic lime (espoma garden lime is dolomitic), or whatever.

the only way to know is to check the label.

H

Hal

I was under the impression that dolomite lime is the fast acting kind. And that would be the difference between dolomitic and the others, the others are NOT fast acting.

ganja din

Hey

Calcium carbonate is my preferred pH adjuster. It is also known as "calcidic lime". It is the same 'stuff' in oyster shell flour that raises pH.

Because Ca is a macro-nutrient, and cannabis has a higher damned for Ca than Mg. And adding Mg (Epsom salt) is better than adding so called 'organic' Ca (I think it's from vinegar, etc :( )

Dolomite lime is good too. A 60/40 mix is great! Try to get "micronized" so the microbes can utilize it faster and it so it adjusts pH more quickly.

"Hydrated" lime is the 'bad' kind of lime, eg. 'burnt lime', it can hurt roots.

HTH

i think hydrated lime is the only fast acting lime Ca(OH)2, calcitic, oyster shell, and dolomitic lime are long lasting
you beat me to it din

xcrispi

I was under the impression that dolomite lime is the fast acting kind. And that would be the difference between dolomitic and the others, the others are NOT fast acting.

Vise versa Hal ,
Hydrated works immediatly , Dolomitic is time released .
My last soiless mix was 3gal promix bx , 1 gal coir , 1 gal pearl / vermic per 5 gal pail . I added 1 tblsp. hydrated lime to act immediatly and 4 tblsp dolomitic lime to take care of biz on down the road .

Also w/ dolomitic lime you gotta look out for pellet size , the stuff Five Legged Goat posted up = what you want . Good for about 60 days release .
Some of the larger pelletized stuff takes forever to break down and be any good for the girls .
Crispi

Damn u folks r fast today - I'm 3rd n shit .

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Is this the stuff?

If so, I've been using it for a couple years now with no problems....

Nope. That's the stuff I had that I am almost out of. It's dolomitic lime, according to the label. Lowe's was out of or no longer carries this stuff.

BTW, as I understand it, this lime is combined with clay or something, which makes it not white.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Hey

Calcium carbonate is my preferred pH adjuster. It is also known as "calcidic lime". It is the same 'stuff' in oyster shell flour that raises pH.

Because Ca is a macro-nutrient, and cannabis has a higher damned for Ca than Mg. And adding Mg (Epsom salt) is better than adding so called 'organic' Ca (I think it's from vinegar, etc :( )

Dolomite lime is good too. A 60/40 mix is great! Try to get "micronized" so the microbes can utilize it faster and it so it adjusts pH more quickly.

"Hydrated" lime is the 'bad' kind of lime, eg. 'burnt lime', it can hurt roots.

HTH
What I bought is calcitic lime, pure calcium carbonate. Whereas dolomitic lime is calcium magnesium carbonate.

So it sounds like this stuff is OK. I use Epsom salts as a soil amendment too, so I should be good. Right? I have been adding the dolomitic lime at 2 TBS per gallon of soil. Would I use the same amount of calcitic lime?

maryjohn

Veteran
lime is a kind of rock. you've got two main kinds of rock that occur under almost identical geological circumstances and are almost impossible to distinguish without testing.

so dolomite vs. calcitic limestone is not an analysis of that particular lime, but a description of the rock it's cut from.

pelletized lime like the espoma is great because everyone can find it, and it contains some actual lime within that clay. You need to use more than you would powdered, and DON'T GRIND IT UP. it mixes way better as pellets. in fact, that's the reason for pelletizing - to make it disperse easily. If preparing an outdoor plot, just use a spreader and rake it in.

ganja din

What I bought is calcitic lime, pure calcium carbonate. Whereas dolomitic lime is calcium magnesium carbonate.

So it sounds like this stuff is OK. I use Epsom salts as a soil amendment too, so I should be good. Right? I have been adding the dolomitic lime at 2 TBS per gallon of soil. Would I use the same amount of calcitic lime?

Yes, you should be fine. Yes, use the calcitic lime as you would the dolomitic lime.

GL :)

Latest posts

Latest posts