What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Virtues of Dolomite Lime

Ulysses

I often see questions about Lime and the various brands, concoctions, application methods, amounts and why I should use Dolomite Lime in my soil mix.

A lot of misinformation exists on this subject, and I’d like to present a simple solution to the majority of the problems experienced during a typical grow as well as some facts related to other additives. I strongly believe a lot of the problems that occur during the outdoor season are a result of Calcium/ Magnesium deficiencies or pH fluctuations. These problems are easily and inexpensively remedied.

This is not meant to be a highly scientific foray into chemical analysis and cation exchange - it doesn’t have to be that difficult to grasp or remember for that matter. I’m going to try to keep it as simple as possible for the newbies…

Dolomite Lime- What is it???

It’s a rock, a mineral. Pulverized Dolomite Lime is pure white- like flour- same color and consistency but heavier. Very powdery rock dust. Even this very finest lime takes some time to break down. Any effective liming material will be finely ground. This is important because the rate at which lime raises pH increases with the fineness of the particles. Plus, lime affects only the small volume of soil surrounding each lime particle. A given volume of lime contains more particles if it is finely ground and thus affects more soil than coarser limestone.

If you have organic fertilizer in your soil, you need Pulverized Dolomite Lime. Most fertilizers almost always change the pH of the growing media lower (more acidic). Dolomite Lime stimulates the decomposition of this organic matter. Also, rain water is often acidic. A bag of Pulverized Dolomite Lime will take care of Cal/Mag issues and pH problems yet a 40 pound bag of it is often less than 5 bucks. It should be first on you list of soil amendments! Get the big bag! That sucker is heavy, yeah! You will need 2 Tablespoons per gallon of soil. 1 cup for 8 gallons of soil- if my math is correct… It goes fast at that rate!

It’s best to apply lime 6 months before you intend to plant in the soil for best results. I like to apply it to my soil when there is snow on the ground as it camouflages the application and lets the lime more evenly ‘melt’ into the soil- I come back in the spring and turn the soil over well. Dolomite Lime should be refreshed every year at the recommended rate.

Dolomite Lime will contain both Calcium and Magnesium in an approximate 2:1 ratio. It may also be referred to as Garden Lime. When in doubt of identification, check for the presence of Magnesium in this approximate ratio.

Pulverized Dolomite Lime is most often found in the Lawn section by the grass seed. I’ve bought mine from Ace Hardware stores for the last three years called Soil Doctor Pulverized Garden Lime. I get two bags and thank the owner for stocking it. It’s a very common lawn and garden additive so no paranoia or suspicion is created. I chuck it on my lawn, in the garden, and in, around, and under the wild rose bushes in the patch. Brands like Whitney’s, Scott’s, James River, and Lily Miller can also be used as long as it is Pulverized Dolomite Lime. Wiggle Worm website also carries Garden Lime.

Avoid the following if possible:

Hydrated Lime- Lacks Magnesium. Handling hydrated lime is hazardous. Also called Slaked lime, Quick lime, Pickling Lime, it is best avoided unless you are in the advanced class… Invokes a sudden pH change and may create further toxic conditions…

Pelletized Lime- For years, I used pelletized Espoma Garden Lime in the cute green 5 pound bag. Back then, I also used baby food jars to store my Blueberry nuggets. The more lime and lime containing products I discovered and used, the larger and larger the storage jars became… I hope to move up to the half gallon jar very soon.
What I discovered with Pelletized Lime is the ‘pellet’ isn’t actually lime- it’s clay… Or worse, polymer. These pellets are then rolled in dolomite lime and baked hard. It’s easier to handle and spreads great. Quality of pelletized lime varies tremendously.
Even when crushed, I often wonder how much actual ‘lime’ I’m getting in a cup of Pelletized Lime. I feel the same way about ‘Prilled Lime’.
Additionally, Pelletized Lime difficult to crush and comes out a dull grey or khaki color whereas Pulverized Dolomite Lime is pure white and will disappear into the soil blending in completely when mixed well. Get the Pulverized Dolomite Lime- it’s worth the effort finding this additive.

Egg Shells- Let me start of by saying that you are thinking correctly using egg shells to provide an organic source for (crystalline) calcium carbonate. If it makes you happy, throw these in to your soil after thoroughly crushing them- even still, they break down painfully slow and your special plants won’t see the benefits for years- like after the earthworms eat them and poop them out at best… If there are any earthworms that is, they like the sweet non- acidic soils- get the Lime in there! Same deal for oyster shells even if ground into the finest dust. Both lack Magnesium and it's difficult to gauge the proper amounts of egg shells to add.

Gypsum- Calcium Sulfate. Lacks Magnesium. Often used to break up clay soil- takes about three years. Are you growing in clay??? Probably not. Gypsum is plaster, right? I don’t want to add plaster to my soil then pour on the guano tea. Avoid.

Epsom Salt- Magnesium Sulfate. MgSO4 Wikipedia says Magnesium sulfate is used to correct magnesium deficiency in soil (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule). It is most commonly applied to potted plants, or to magnesium-hungry crops, such as potatoes, roses, tomatoes, peppers and cannabis. The advantage of magnesium sulfate over other magnesium soil amendments (such as dolomite lime) is its high solubility. I feel a very small amount- about a scant quarter teaspoon per gallon of water may be a quick fix for certain relatively rare plant aliments in an emergency. Why not avoid the whole problem by adding 2 Tablespoons of Pulverized Dolomite Lime to the gallon of soil mix before the grow?

Over Liming- Like anything in the soil mix, you can over do it. Too much perlite, too much earthworm castings, too much guano, and you’ve lost the balance in your mix. Avoid the temptation to over lime your soil mix. More is not better in this case…

Believing the Label- There are several high quality soil mixes on the market that advertise lime (or oyster shell) in the mix. Ok, that’s a great start. But how much lime? Well, it’s my experience enough to get you to the third or fourth week of flower before the plant stops flowering and crashes. That’s too long to wait and too much work to take a plant that far for nothing. Your particular strain may not require as much lime as a Cal/Mag hog strain but it won’t hurt a thing to have the pH stable. Get the Pulverized Dolomite Lime in there at the recommended rate.

Using Lime Indoors- Most indoor growers mix a batch of soil shortly before they intend to use it. Keep in mind that Pulverized Dolomite Lime takes at least 6 months to become fully effective. If you’re good at planning ahead then it’s ok- mix the soil and let it ‘cook’ or sit while it’s still slightly moist. It’s best to mix lime with your soil well before you even order the seeds! If you lack this type of foresight, you are better off using a commercial Cal/Mag preparation like Botanicare Cal/Mag Plus 2-0-0 at 3-10 ml per gallon of water depending on plant size and strain. Most nutrient solutions have some form of soluble lime already in the mix- it’s cheap and it works well- take this into consideration when adding Cal/Mag. These solutions are expensive compared to Pulverized Dolomite Lime and the nitrogen contained in them could potentially burn your plants or create a ‘harsh smoke’ if used late into flower… And they don’t do a damn thing for pH which must be monitored closely.

That’s about all you need to know about The Virtues of Dolomite Lime. Considerable research went into this post and I ask you kindly to not contradict my findings without good cause. Thanks! Grow well and make the Seeds…

"Keep in mind that Pulverized Dolomite Lime takes at least 6 months to become fully effective."

What does 'fully effective' mean? Do the plants still get Cal/Mag deficiencies when I don't wait the six months? What about pH-buffering? Is pH not stable until the six months?

Nice posting and thanks in advance for answering these questions!

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Wow, 6 months? Then it was useless putting it our soil this run, which only cooked for just over a month?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i suspect that the 6 months applies when it is a soil topdressing and takes into account the time it takes to be mixed and percolate through the soil.

i would have thought that in a pot it would be much faster acting provided it was fine powder and mixed in properly.

Ulysses

Yes, most sources agree that six months is necessary for the pulverized dolomite lime to become fully effective.

However, your small sprouts don't require huge amounts of Calcium or Magnesium early in veg. By the time your plants are getting ready to flower, more of the Cal/Mag will have become available to the plant.

In the meantime, good Earthworm Castings have trace Cal/Mag, and Blackstrap Molasses even more- should you feel the need to supplement.

It's my understanding that the pH benefits begin much earlier but buffers the pH slowly. What this means is if you dump extremely acidic nutes into your soil mix, don't expect the lime to instantly render them pH neutral... Be reasonable, use your head.

Hey, it's like I said, this lime thing doesn't have to be that hard or confusing- just try it. I was also sceptical at first. Get the right stuff and use it. Pulverized Dolomite Lime is cheap and effective- I got another 40lbs today for $3.79 at Ace Hardware...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Ulysses- im with you on the benefits of dolomite!

and the interests of getting this buffering/time thing nailed down I performed me a little experiment this morning. (slightly concerned that the 6 months thing may discourage folks from using it)

I took a glass of water and put a tiny shot of my citric acid solution into it .
I measured the pH with my pen and it read 5.1.

(YES, I am an organic grower with a pH pen, part of a rebel alliance of heads that like to know the acidity of their water, the pHorce is strong within us – deal with it! :nanana:)

I then took a half teaspoon of powdered dolomite lime and stirred it into the acidic water. Here is what happened to the pH :-
Original pH before addition of Dolomite = 5.1
1minute - pH had risen to 5.3
5 minutes – pH had risen to 5.8 – so within minutes we have a much more desirable pH plant-wise!
15 minutes – pH was 6.0 – doing its job nicely.
1 hr – pH was 6.3
2 hrs – pH is 6.4

ETA: 3 hrs - pH is 6.5
4hrs - pH is 6.6
5hrs - pH is 6.7
8hrs - pH is 6.9 - job pretty much done!

now I don’t claim that this experiment is mimicking the conditions in a pot perfectly, but I am very confident to conclude that powdered dolomite lime, well mixed into the soil, will do the job of buffering the pH of the soil possibly within minutes, certainly within hours of watering.

And bear in mind that the pH scale is logarithmic so a pH of 5 is many times more acidic than a pH of 6, and thus will react faster with the dolomite as can be seen in the experiment. As the pH gets nearer to 7 the buffering effect will slow down, but the pH is nearer what we desire anyway, and considering that the optimum availability pH for most macro and micro nutrients it between 6 and 7, the job that the dolomite is doing is, imo, exactly what we want from it.:joint:

Hope this helps. I’ll keep measuring throughout the day and update the results

May the pHorce be with you ;)
V.:abduct:

GrüneErd

haha NICE verdant, i'm an organic grower with a pH pen too. gives me mental reassurance and def. doesn't hurt. i use the pHorce!
peace

Seed Buyer

I veg in 1 gal pots of Pro-Mix, the transplant into 3 gal pots of pro mix at bloom. So would it be pointless to add powder (pulverized) lime to the mix in a 8 week bloom cycle? If not how much per bale of Pro Mix?

Ulysses

These bags appear identical. Same color, size, weight, graphics, even bar code!... Same price, same stack in the store...

DSCN0681.JPG

The only difference is a small panel on the back of the bag:

DSCN0685.JPG

DSCN0687.JPG

Read the Label!

The Pulverized Dolomite Lime is the best choice. I don't think using the Calcitic Limestone will destroy your grow if that's all you can get in your area...

I discovered that the definition of 'Dolomite' varies state to state... You are looking for an approximate 2:1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium... Read the Label.

dirkdaddy

I just checked my bag that looks identical to those and i'll be damned it says : Calcitic limestone. i've been using it consistently for a while now without any problems. then again I used pelletized dolomite lime to start off with no troubles as well so maybe I just have good luck. I assume my use of blackstrap has offset the lack of Mg in that calcitic limestone. but I guess as long as its neutralizing the acidic peat thats all we really need from it.

Hey Ulysses,

on your labels the percentages sum up to much more than 100%. I thought the numbers show the weight-percent, but these seem to be percent of percent, don't they?

Thanks for clearing things up, it's highly appreciated. I'll give ya some rep for this :)

demasoni

If my soils PH was initially 5.6 is it likely 5 tablespoons/gal will raise PH beyond 7 over time or does the trend level out there at 7?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
demasoni - thats the whole point of a buffer. dolomite will only raise your pH to 7 however much you use.

demasoni

demasoni - thats the whole point of a buffer. dolomite will only raise your pH to 7 however much you use.
Ah I was worried, I had read in a book (MJ newschool outdoor cultivatn by "jeff mowta" lol) that lime could be added at rate of like cup/whatever cubic ft. and it would raise it at increments of 1+ ph... it didn't indicate that it stops at 7. Also heard people mention "too much lime" including this threads main post .
Hopefully 5-6 tbsp/gal will not be too much, you think?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
perhaps the book was talking about regular garden lime rather than dolomite lime?

not sure how much is too much, but i have read that it is hard to overdo it with dolomite lime, so i would think you should be ok.

judas cohen

LESS IS MORE.....

LESS IS MORE.....

:noway:It is possible to use too much lime. It's not easy to remove it once you add too much to grow medium. Flushing/leaching may help somewhat depending on circumstances. Too much Ca and/or Mg will cause lockout of other elements.

If you're watering with high pH tapwater on overlimed soil, it's easy to have problems.

IMO/IME, more plants are injured from TOO MUCH STUFF as opposed to not enough stuff. Organic growing is pretty easy and forgiving, but you can DEFINITELY feed too much of anything....including overwatering! my :2cents:...

Wait...What?

Veteran
The tough black mineral
that won't cop out when there's heat
all about. By contrast, observe the
lava's affect on this ice swan. Of
course, that would have melted even
at room temperature. I just wanted to
get rid of it. But had it been made
of that righteous mineral dolomite,
there's a slim chance it might have
survived.

180px-Farnsworth.png

stevefrench

i just found 2 un-opend bags of dolomite lime in the garage (how did those get there?)

i have no idea how long they have been there... should it be okay to use?

master shake

Ulysses, awesome dude, thanks for posting!

Around my parts the native soil is very alkaline, lots of limestone in the area. So finding any lime has been very difficult. I found a 50lb bag of pulverized limestone at home depot but this is a little lacking in Mg, but had good success with it my very first grow. Since then I've found the Espoma pelletized lime and it seems ok, but my plants have shown some deficiencies. I never knew they used clay and it sort of makes sense now. Thanks for the info...So if all I can find is this espoma stuff, should I be using more than 2 tbs/ gal of soil? What do you know about limestone?

Thanks!

"i have no idea how long they have been there... should it be okay to use?"

Hey stevefrench, from my theoretical understanding this should be ok as long as the lime didn't come in contact with water - but I could be wrong.

"thats the whole point of a buffer. dolomite will only raise your pH to 7 however much you use."

Hi VerdantGreen, a buffer's properties are that in its buffering zone the pH only slowly changes when adding acids and bases, but it still changes. For reasonable quantities of adding acids/bases your statement is true, but you can overdo it. And limestone itself is basic, so adding a lot means raising your pH to higher levels.