What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
CaliMagic?

Calimagic has less N than the botanicare cal-mag+ I had previously used with Veg+Bloom Soft, but growmore flower cal-mag is the only product I see with no N. I just cant find a place that ships it to hawaii for a reasonable cost.

I'm just finishing up my first run with Jacks part A and Calnit and its going smooth so far. I find it dissolves alot faster than vegbloom.
Only additives have been ferti-fulvic+ (90% fulvic) and a few doses of a mammoth P sample I had collecting dust.

I asked in another thread if anyone had tried Jacks finish 7-15-30 for the last few weeks of flower. Only confusion is its supposed to be a lower N formula but still recommends adding cal-nit. Another product I cant seem to get shipped to Hawaii at a reasonable cost.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Calimagic has less N than the botanicare cal-mag+

Jacks finish 7-15-30 for the last few weeks of flower. Only confusion is its supposed to be a lower N formula but still recommends adding cal-nit.

Both Calimagic and Cal-Mag+ are suitable for veg, but not for flower from the N content.

Jack's finish is suitable for week 4-6 of flower. I probably wouldn't add cal nit to assist bulking/hardening unless explicitly called out on the feed schedule. I would rather use something simple like MKP in addition to the base fertilizer.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Have you heard of the product transport from optic Foliar? They say that it makes the spray be absorbed into the leaves. When you said the fulvic made the soap "trans laminar" it reminded me of the O.F. I wonder if it's just fulvic. They also claim that because it goes into the leaf better you only have to spray the tops of the leaves. And it allows you to spray with the lights on, with one quarter the amount of whatever ingredient you are spraying.
Would fulvic do all that?

I used Optic foliar for quite a while. My guess is that it is a non-ionic surfactant as a sticker/spreader. They had a huge recall a few years back for ingredients not on the label, so it's possible?

Fulvic chelates nutrients and soap to become translaminar. The soap also works as a drying agent and sticker/spreader. The organic acids in fulvic also protect and prevents stress from pests and disease.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Whats the application rate of MKP when used with Jacks?

One gram per gallon = ~ 1 tsp. per 5 gallon bucket

I use MKP with Jack 3/2.5 during flower at 100ppm. Would Gypsum be a good Ca source BF?

Absolutely. Just don't go over 50 ppm to buffer Ca with gypsum or you risk locking out K with supplemental feed.

EDIT: 1 gram gypsum per gallon of potting mix is ~50 ppm Ca, 30 ppm S.

Last edited:

BillFarthing

Veteran
Albion Metalosate is 18% Ca, gypsum is 20% Ca . Should I be adding epsom with the gypsum?

I know more about fertilizer and less about soil science. I was talking to a gentleman who blends large batches of craft potting soil. He said don't overdo Mg and then have it wash out of the root zone. More small applications are better.

I tried gypsum for half a run during stretch. I run blumats and I couldn’t get it to dissolve properly, had some clogging issues. I ordered a 5# bottle of the Albion Metalsolate Calcium. Don’t expect any solubility issues.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Even Diamond K gypsum, which is solution grade just gets suspended, not dissolved. I think you will be very happy with organic Metalosate calcium with drippers or Blumats.

Bill could you help me locate a nutrient calculator that can tell me the PPMs of Jacks @ 3/2.5? I’d like to dial back the nitrogen in bloom after transition but would like exact numbers.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Bill could you help me locate a nutrient calculator that can tell me the PPMs of Jacks @ 3/2.5? I’d like to dial back the nitrogen in bloom after transition but would like exact numbers.

http://customhydronutrients.com/hydrocal/hydrocal.html
https://manicbotanix.com/calculators/ppm-in-solution-calc.php

I personally use Hydrobuddy. It's the easiest to reverse guaranteed minimums on labels with listed labels.

I've had fantastic luck with Jack's and Masterblend 3/2 start to finish in soilless with fulvic acid. After transition, perhaps roll it back to 2.75/2? Perhaps consider adding MKP at 1g/gal in flower?

BillFarthing

Veteran
Bill, still using wood vinegar?

Oh yeah, 1:500-1:1000 for maintenance drench/foliar. 1:500-1:250 drench/foliar for any active root/pest/disease outbreaks.

It has a whole different set of awesome and beneficial organic acids than Mr. Fulvic.

kalopatchkid

Veteran

A member on another forum I frequent has been working on this spreadsheet calculator. It has a few common nutrient lines already built in, so you just plug in your ratios and hit the results tab to see the PPMs. You will need a spreadsheet program like excel or openoffice calc for windows or Numbers for OSX.

http://www.filedropper.com/nutrientcalculatorv207

Latest posts

Latest posts