No announcement yet.

LED feed demands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had same problem, I know they needed more calmag, so I added dolomite lime, worm castings, rock dust (all sources or trace elements) But I guess they needed more time to break don as I didn't cook my soil first.

At this point I am not sure even if using only water with a good soil mix will work. Because just like you I added literally MORE then enough in the soil. It is like they can't access what's in the soil for some reason.

But yeah it's a learning curve and things you know about growing don't seem to apply under white ld, everything changes.

From one side it really sucks, as only white leds give these issues. But on the other hand, it is worth the trouble as they consume so little energy for the light and coverage that they give.

But it is annoying having to give so many supplements .

Have you tried dimming your lght yet? I still have to try and dim my sf4000. I am reluctant as the micromoles they are getting now is nothing special(the same as under other lights, about 250-300 only and still these symptoms.
    http://hgcacademy.com/
    Home-Grown Cannabis Academy!
    Safe, Responsible & Cost-Efficient!

Comment

I “cooked” the soil for about a month. None of the plants under other lightsources show these symptoms.

It’s true that I didn’t ammend heavy with magnesium tho that’s why I’m gonna do trials with epsom.

To me all this sounds like chlorophyl problems more than anything else, but what do I know.

My light is running on 25% power (150W). I started with 15cm hanging distance, this gave me ~280 PPFD. I raised it to 30cm yesterday thinking it might be too much for this stage of plant, which gives me ~200 PPFD.

Comment

Yes I know thats the frustrating thing, under any other light source (even old leds) perfect plant that give great yields with just the right amount of nutrients. You know the soil, the recipe, the plant, and then all of a sudden nothing works anymore.

I get you lol, been annoyed by these light since January, they have potential but there is something amiss. Sure you can fix this according to many and I am sure because I have seen great pictures under these white leds.

But I just hope that they will also yield much more if you have to give that many more nutrients and additives.

Still like I said, the spectrum needs adjustment so that they behave normally just like any other lightsource imo.

Comment

Since the debate steered towards spectrum, Here’s the spectrum of the light i use:

Im gonna go ballistic with Mag on one plant and will report back here in a week.

Comment

It seems good for flowering, what led is it?

One thing I forgot to mention, for me what work best is raising the light a lot and dimming less. Did you already try that?

My plants woul totally yellow under the fluence at only 200 ppfd when I used the recommended distance. When I raised to light to about one metre and on max setting They got +-300 ppfd and not bleaching.

Comment

I raised the light 2 days ago to 30cm height from the initial 15cm. I didn’t change the power tho, still at 25%. Apart from those “rust” spots and Mg stripes on some young leaves the plants are growing fantastic.

Im using Lumatek Zeus 600W PRO

Comment

I would raise the light to about a meter and set it on max or in any case turn the dimmer up.

You will see they will go better. And then gradually lower it and keep an eye on ppfd. I have a fluence which is basically the same. They also say distance to canopy 15 cm. I tried, and also 30. Then I just ignored it and put it higher because it just fried the plants.

It is strange however cuz I have a par meter. ANd200 micromol at 15-30 cm fries them yellowing and all, but 300 micromol at 100 cm lght distance was no problem (concerning the yellowing I still got droopy blue plants under that light).

Mine look fantastic since this morning. Here and there not 100% but wow.

What I did was I topdressed them 2 weeks ago with magnesiumlime. I gave epsom salts an topdressed extra nutrients (double than what I would give normally. But yesterday evening I sprayed them with epsom salts and then 2x 500 mg aspirin c. And now they are looking so much better.

Reason I tried this was that they sell a product called led protect. It is expensive and the main ingredient apart from calmag and micronutrients is salydic acid. Members here said it was the main ingredient in aspirin. And research papers confirm this is a hormone that is produced by the plant in stress situations to cope better.

All I can say is it works. I have a bottle of calmag+ on the way (because it contains them in the right proportions) and I will be adding aspirin to it to make my own cheap led protect.

I still have to use it more often to be certain, but the difference between yesterday and today is dramatic!!

Try it voidpainter! the combo with calmag or epsom salts and some foliar food with micronutrients with the aspirin.

Those micros are also in wormcasting and rock dust etc but they break down way too slow if you want to fix the problem fast. But in theory, how I see it now, for the next soilmix I will be adding a lot more lime and a lot more ingredients with micronutrients and I will try to amp up the bacterial life. Because then they would have everything (except from the acid, but I think healthy plants that have everything they need won't need that).

Still it is confusing because in my actual soil mix there should be more than enough, so really have to guess right now in what way to increase quantity without overdoing it. I also think topdressing every 2 to 4 weeks instead of every 6-8 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by voidpainter View Post
                  Since the debate steered towards spectrum, Here’s the spectrum of the light i use:

View Image

Im gonna go ballistic with Mag on one plant and will report back here in a week.
                  What did you use to capture the data on your light spectrum ?

Comment

Originally posted by stewart169 View Post
                    What did you use to capture the data on your light spectrum ?
                    I didn’t, was provided in the manual by the manufacturer.

@THC123 I dozed them with 1gram/1Litre of epsom yesterday. I also watered a small amount with homemade instant kelp. When I checked on them today the change was fucking stunning! Praying like crazy and the new shoots that were pale-ish with an onset of the classic Mg stripes have started getting darker green. I will just keep dosing them with Mg and/or instant kelp every couple of days. I didnt change the height or nothing. Will do my best to get some before/after pics on here.

Comment

I'm on my second run using 3500k lm301b led boards. I'm running at almost 1200ppfd. First grow was small plants in soil. At around 3-4 weeks in the plants got too close to the lights and had they had started to show mg problrms already. This time I have one big plant in hydro and it's just past three weeks. Things are looking good this time. The tops got too close to the lights and showed it, but no mg problems yet. I add about 0.5ec cal/mag as my water is only 0.1ec out the tap. In veg I added nutes to about 1.5 ec and now around 1.8. This is my first time doing hydro. The plant drinks a lot and the EC goes up, but I add water with a little less nutes to bring it back to around 1.8 every couple of days.

Comment

Since I started adding some Epsom in flower a couple times in water I noticed a big diff myself. Plus I also add some BioMin calcium.

Comment

Ok so I’ve been testing a little. Foliar only.

CalMag+ (4-0-0 with Fe, Zn and Mn) doesn’t make much of a difference to be honest. Applied at 2ml / L as recommended on the label. Maybe I should have added more. Maybe I still will. After 3 days there was no visible change.

Epsom does better in my case. I started at 1g / L at start of veg but when the plants got bigger it didn’t cut it anymore. I’ve upped the dosage to 2g / L with immediate results again.

Then I raised the power to 50% at 30cm height (~500 PPFD). The 2g / L epsom wasnt enough to keep up with the vigor. I’m at 3g / L now in order to keep the vigor and no fading on new fan leaves growth.

I spray every 2 or 3 days to keep up with the metabolism.

My temps have also raised from 24 to 28-29C (with 70-75% rH).

More PPFD and higher temps raised the demand for Mg dramatically.

This is crazy.

Comment

So strangehuh I mean 500ppfd aint that much. My plants under the blurple at 600-700 ppfd are doing fine without adding extra shit. But with these white leds ugh.

And o be honest I don't notice them growing any faster under that white light. I just have way way way more coverage with the same amount of watts under the white led

I can keep em greeen with epsom salts and other additives but still no NORMAL plants. I am now going to change the spectrum a bit to see if I can get em to grow normally again.

Comment

Originally posted by voidpainter View Post
                              Ok so I’ve been testing a little. Foliar only.

CalMag+ (4-0-0 with Fe, Zn and Mn) doesn’t make much of a difference to be honest. Applied at 2ml / L as recommended on the label. Maybe I should have added more. Maybe I still will. After 3 days there was no visible change.

Epsom does better in my case. I started at 1g / L at start of veg but when the plants got bigger it didn’t cut it anymore. I’ve upped the dosage to 2g / L with immediate results again.

Then I raised the power to 50% at 30cm height (~500 PPFD). The 2g / L epsom wasnt enough to keep up with the vigor. I’m at 3g / L now in order to keep the vigor and no fading on new fan leaves growth.

I spray every 2 or 3 days to keep up with the metabolism.

My temps have also raised from 24 to 28-29C (with 70-75% rH).

More PPFD and higher temps raised the demand for Mg dramatically.

This is crazy.

I have also started messing around with foliar sprays. Allows you to fertilize when you can't water. Thank you for your specificity.

I have been using epsom salts with a mg conc. of 10-15ppm target. Saw very moderate results after two sprays. Then mg def. came back, gave some more mgso4 sprays, but got a Ca def. and had to hook up my dehumidifer (lol)/ tried a CaNO3 spray. Im thinking of making a CaNO3 +MgNO3 spray. We'll see how it goes. Problems really came out for me once the plants got biiigg.
                              Chronic Smoker
                              "Wanna get high?"

Threads:
                              -Chronics Headstash Garden
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374169
                              -Cindy 99 and Friends
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377906
                              -Just a lil bit
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379006

Comment

Originally posted by eyesdownchronic View Post
                                I have been using epsom salts with a mg conc. of 10-15ppm target. Saw very moderate results after two sprays. Then mg def. came back, gave some more mgso4 sprays, but got a Ca def. and had to hook up my dehumidifer (lol)/ tried a CaNO3 spray. Im thinking of making a CaNO3 +MgNO3 spray. We'll see how it goes. Problems really came out for me once the plants got biiigg.
                                That’s basically any CalMag product. How come you want to make your own?

Anyway, I think my soil mix doesn’t provide Mg fast enough or it is lacking it completely. I have a heavy Ca and P mix. K for flower I supplement with hardwood ash.

In the future I might consider testing the following:

1) same mix with bigger chunks of pomice / perlite for more aeration. This might address the Mg issue as an airy medium should provide more access to Mg.

2) slightly underwatering as overwatering might make Mg less available.

3) buying a leaf temp. meter. Testing whether 30C / 85F leaf temp makes Mg uptake better due to hard transpiration.

4) adding Kieserite in the soil mix. Kieserite being “magnesium sulfate monohydrate (25% Mg and 50% S). Interested if this will clog the fuck outta the medium tho. Should be tested in a very airy mix to avoid this imo. This would then in theory replace biweekly applications of foliar epsom.

Comment

Working...
                                X