What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
From Dutch Master Nutrients 1/24/2018

Silicon is perhaps more misunderstood and under appreciated than any other element. Widely viewed originally as an element not essential for plant life, now silicon is scientifically known to provide countless benefits to plants, benefits that cannot and should not be denied.

The primary issue with attempting to classify silicon’s essentiality to plant life stems from silicon’s abundance on our planet. It seems that silicon can be found just about anywhere (and rightfully so, given that roughly 28% of Earth is comprised of silicon). What we do know, as a result of numerous silicon-additive studies, is that plants fare much better throughout all growth cycles with the addition of silicon through increased yields, growth and protection against toxic heavy metals, cold and heat stress, pests and pathogens (fungi and mold)

By mass, silicon is the eighth most common element in the universe and is also the second most abundant element on Earth. It is interesting to note that nearly 90% of the Earth’s crust is composed of silicate minerals (containing oxygen, silicon, and various reactive metals - Mica and Feldspar are great examples). These complex silicate minerals are the most commonly encountered form of silicon. Very rarely are pure, elemental silicon crystals ever found in nature.

It was initially believed that silicon was transported along with water, but recent research has indicated otherwise. What we now know is that silicon is actively absorbed through various transport proteins, as shown by the recent discovery of silicon transport genes in rice species (Ma et al. (2006)). The specific transporters are Lsi1 and Lsi2 (Lsi = Low-silicon) and are located on the distal and proximal sides of the endo and exo dermises of root cells, respectively. From here, movement continues upwards as an inorganic solute into the xylem, much like other elements (e.g. potassium).

Silicon provides many benefits for plants including increased shoot and root density and increased yields (of which up to 65ppm of Si has been shown to be the most advantageous in hydroponic systems), it more importantly provides a much needed defense for plants against both biotic and abiotic stressors. Silicon is unique in that it provides both physical and biochemical protection. It is widely known that silicon is deposited in the cell wall of many plants, however, research has shown that silicon deposits are also found in trichomes. These deposits act quite literally as a physical barrier, preventing attacks from pathogens and herbivores. Given that trichomes are the primary site of secondary metabolite production, bolstering trichomes results in a more efficacious use of a plant’s endogenous secondary metabolites for pathogenic protection and an overall increase in trichome quality and health.

Silica has also been shown to be an inducer of SAR (systemic acquired resistance) - stimulating natural plant defense responses. These defense responses are effective against many diseases and insect attacks, including powdery mildew prevention, fungal disease protection, and biting insect suppression (mites, whiteflies, etc.) for which it is registered with the EPA for use.

Perhaps the most intriguing facet of silicon as of late is research indicating that silicon plays a significant role in promoting the biosynthesis of various defense compounds. While the exact mechanism is still unclear, it is speculated that silicon forms a ligand of an organic metabolite that results in the promotion of defense genes within the plant. What we do know is that in conditions where plants are facing various stressors, the up-regulation of defense mechanism genes is heavily influenced by the presence of silicon.

Source Link:
https://dutchmasternutrients.com/growers-guide/benefits-of-silicon/

From Maximum Yield 3/1/2017

Silicon strengthens cell walls and stems, creating a plant that can bear the weight of large fruit.

A larger stem also means that a plant can uptake more nutrients and water at once, allowing the plant to grow larger faster. When fed to cuttings and seedlings, silica supplementation has been known to lessen the shock of transplanting and strengthen the stems at a faster rate.

Silica also aids a plant’s ability to withstand stress from temperature and drought.The strong cell walls are better able to expand and contract during extreme temperature changes so that the stress has less of an impact. This is especially helpful outdoors in the cooler seasons, when temperatures can drop drastically at night. It also helps a plant hold onto more water during transpiration, which is good during the hot, dry days of summer.

Pests and disease will have a harder time attacking your plants when silicon levels are up, too.Silicon builds up in plant tissues and bind together to make it harder for pests to eat through the tissue.All this hard work takes more of the pests’ energy and slows down their reproductive rates.

Silicon has also been shown to ward off fungal diseases such as powdery mildew, rust, and pythium. Some studies have also shown that silicon specifically builds up in areas of infection on plant tissue to protect the plant from further disease. Foliar feeding with silicon is an effective preventative practice, especially if your environment is the hot and humid conditions in which fungal diseases would thrive.

Many studies have been conducted on the effects of silicon in plants. A 1986 study on how the micronutrient affects cucumbers found many positive benefits. Most notable were the resistance to powdery mildew, more chlorophyll content in the leaves, increased root weight, and delayed senescence.In other words: the plants had more roots and greener, lusher foliage,leading to more fruits.

A 2014 study found that silicon protects plants against metal toxicity by decreasing metal availability in the plant and affecting metal distribution inside the plant. The same study also found that silicon mitigates the symptoms of iron deficiency in plants.

Research at the University of California, Davis, has studied the effect of silicon in dwarf citrus, chrysanthemums, and roses. Their results showed smaller pest populations on the citrus and chrysanthemums. Similar research discovered that there was a decrease in leaf miner populations on citrus and chrysanthemums when potassium silicate was added to their water.

Some plants benefit from this element more than others. For example, rice and sugar cane accumulate large amounts of silicon, whereas cucumbers accumulate a moderate amount and tomatoes accumulate very little. For silicon accumulators, it is absolutely beneficial to add silicon to your nutrient solution, especially if you’re growing hydroponically.

Source Link:
https://www.maximumyield.com/silicon-the-non-essential-plant-nutrient-with-big-benefits/2/2994

Considering Cannabis is a Hyper Accumulator (A hyperaccumulator is a plant capable of growing in soils with very high concentrations of metals, absorbing these metals through their roots, and concentrating extremely high levels of metals in their tissues), and that Silicon "protects plants against metal toxicity by decreasing metal availability in the plant and affecting metal distribution inside the plant." I wouldn't recommend growing without it, Id compare Silicon to coffee/caffeine, its not necessary but it sure seems to help.

Between adding silicon and Calcium chelated with aminos (increase calcium uptake thousands of times) pests/fungi have very minimal chance of interfering with plants. This link below explains how the amino chelated calcium works as well as how the plants natural defenses work against fungi and mold.

https://www.maximumyield.com/what-to-do-about-powdery-mildew/2/1400

More great articles here from same person (all great info!)

https://npk-industries.com/resources.html

More Information On Silicon's Plant Bioavailability Page #3 Post #26 and #27!

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I think marijuana can use a lil bit of all these elements and trace elements. The more research I see about these elements that people don't zero in on, the more I think it's good to try and get a lil of everything to them. This could mean finding nutrients containing more of these trace elements in higher doses hopefully so we can avoid buying some many different bottles of stuff.

I've been reading the same thing about a more known trace element that people think about but not enough.,,,,Iron.

Like I said I think they need and like all these elements and trace elements.....almost everything I've ever heard people in the cannabis community talk about is good for plants and needed.

Conclusion
Cannabis I believe flourishes well given silicon and everything you can AFFord to give her. But do you have to have some of these elements to grow great plants prolly not.

The everyday guy prolly can't afford to buy everything these plants need. But if I'm the grower for a big seed company just gives you everything you damn right I'm gonna spread the love to these plants with all and everything trace element every used on cannanis.

Great post Ibechillin
I comment to have in my post for a quick reference. Nice research friend!!!
The community should be thankful guys like Ibechillin take time to research and offer there info and time to help the community!!!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Same here i love diatomaceous earth, Use it as foliar @ 2 tablespoon per gallon of water, i can get 40lb bags for $20 at the farm/feed store in town called Tractor Supply.

Besides silica diatom earth adds 5% iron, 2,5% Mag and another 65 micronutrients and trace minerals. Everything it needs.

I appreciate you adding that in, had no idea of the other stuff in it. Ive been using Kelp, and i bought azomite this season to cover all my micro needs.

Cvh

Supermod
Just to be clear I use kelp products too. Both as soil feed and as foliar spray.
Kelp brings in other beneficial elements that diatom earth doesn't have ie. plant hormones and another set of micronutrients and trace elements.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yes I'm big on seaweed products also....I always use maxi top seaweed. I'm probably gonna add neem seed meal and silicone as suggest be Ibechillin!!!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Cannabis I believe flourishes well given silicon and everything you can AFFord to give her. But do you have to have some of these elements to grow great plants prolly not.

The everyday guy prolly can't afford to buy everything these plants need. But if I'm the grower for a big seed company just gives you everything you damn right I'm gonna spread the love to these plants with all and everything trace element every used on cannanis.

Just wanted to mention there are alot of alternative (cheaper) sources for many different nutrient items. It doesnt have to be expensive to give your plant everything it could benefit from, some things are even dual purpose saving you money on insect and mildew/mold prevention.

Neem seed meal npk 6-1-2 is good veg food, as well as pest/mildew/mold repellant and can make foliar sprays.
Kelp Meal can also be used to make your own foliar sprays.

hardware/Farm/Feed stores are a great resource for amendments!

epsom salt 7lb bag $7 (Pennington brand)
Dolomite lime 40lb bag $3.00
82 brix molasses 1 gallon jug $10 (evolved habitats brand)
40lb bag Diatomaceous Earth with Calcium Bentonite $17.99 (Red Lake Earth brand)
50lb bag alfalfa pellets (npk 2-1-2 triacontanol hormone for branching) $12.99 (dumour brand)

Down To Earth brand amendments can be found a good deal cheaper than most grow stores and with free shipping from ebay.
If you know anyone with horses/chickens they will probably gladly let you clean the stalls out.

Last edited:
Up to 65ppm, interesting. I'm going to have to check that amount against Botinacares Silica Blast recommendation of 1-2.5ml per gal that i've always used. I use it intermittently I like the concept, but I see no visual change so it doesn't become a priority. It's one of those additives that I 'think' helped but it wasn't so apparent so meh. Even when running it specifically for strains that are big yielders with weak stems I got this feeling. With or without they still flopped over and needed tons of help. I do like it as a ph up solution.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Botanicare feed chart says to use 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) to 1 teaspoon (5ml) per gallon of water for hydro, with 5ml per gallon achieving 105ppm silicate.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yes Ibechillin that's what I'm trying to say.....dual purpose nutes/ferts help on the wallet. Adding str8 silicone isn't really gonna hurt anybody to much $$ wise. Like I say use a 3 part fert, and buy you a few other things. I'm prolly gonna get a bottle and maybe also add I bit more iron to my outdoor stuff

militia420

Conclusion

There is this mistaken notion, due to people getting locked in with Darwin's proposal's for evolution, that an organism has static DNA and that it can not have it's DNA modified during its lifetime such that the modification is then passed on through reproduction. This is wrong.

An organism can and does have modifications to its DNA in it's lifetime and these modifications are reflected in the DNA available for reproduction.

So plants that grow in shit environments for generations lose vitality because every generation sees this ongoing dip in genetic vitality due to this struggle to survive in the shit environment. However, plants that are in an environment that allows them to thrive and exposes them to things such as these micronutrients, in optimal proportions will pass on strength and vigor in their progeny.

Sativan

Given that a typical mineral soil sample is about 30% silicone it makes perfect sense that plants use it effectively. Although most of the benefits aren't seen with the naked eye I imagine having a super vibrant plant is very nice. That translates into larger more potent buds as the entire plant grows stronger with much greater resistance to pests and diseases.

HHILL

I’ve been using Agisil (potassium silicate) from Build a Soil this season with no ill effects. Foliar only so far., about 1/2 tsp per gallon. I mix with their Thrive.N and spray once per week. Very strong plants, very green and very big. Time will tell how it helps with mold/mildew as flowering is just starting here in California. So far the bugs are avoiding my garden and choose to go after the other plants surrounding the cannabis patch.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
There is this mistaken notion, due to people getting locked in with Darwin's proposal's for evolution, that an organism has static DNA and that it can not have it's DNA modified during its lifetime such that the modification is then passed on through reproduction. This is wrong.

An organism can and does have modifications to its DNA in it's lifetime and these modifications are reflected in the DNA available for reproduction.

So plants that grow in shit environments for generations lose vitality because every generation sees this ongoing dip in genetic vitality due to this struggle to survive in the shit environment. However, plants that are in an environment that allows them to thrive and exposes them to things such as these micronutrients, in optimal proportions will pass on strength and vigor in their progeny.

The thing is there's a lot of guys that don't wanna study the cannabis plant, and it's needs. I've dedicated the last 20-25yrs studying every type of book I can get to read and learn about the plant, environment affects, hydro, soil, soilless, I can go on and on because I love to study anything to do with cannabis. While it's a passion of mine to learn about things I still feel learning how others grow is another thing to study. Yes you can get some soil and grow good weed not knowing much. But when you don't know when to give a plant Si and/or stop feeding it.....you can sometimes cause more problems not understanding how/ when to feed these micro/macro and other elements....than if you just don't worry about it and just buy a good NPK nute and follow the feeding schedule. Ive studying for yrs I'm still learning things everyday.:tiphat:

Steven/nevetS

Hi bud, followed your link to here.
I use silicon on all my grows.
Immediatly i seen the effects on my plants in veg, stems were stronger
Pests were minimal throughout grows.
Doesnt brake the bank as a bottle & pippet lasted longer than i can remember
Used it as ph down & it stabilised the resivour much better also.
Seems to have many benifits and im sure people will notice and add to its benefits in future.
I started using it around 2002 round about and wouldnt go without it now.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Between adding silicon and Calcium chelated with aminos (increase calcium uptake thousands of times) pests/fungi have very minimal chance of interfering with plants, brick shithouses in terms of cell wall strength!

This link below explains how the amino chelated calcium works as well as how the plants natural defenses work against fungi and mold.

https://www.maximumyield.com/what-to-do-about-powdery-mildew/2/1400

More great articles here from same person (all great info!)

https://npk-industries.com/resources.html

jrelax

if you want extra fat stems, offcourse
good roots and fat stem is lovers to FAT BUDS

Try
Oldtimers Bio Silica.

Then come back here say OMG my stems got fat.

If you grow in dirt indoors. This is sick medicine
Stop use it 4weeks before harvest.
You dont like smoke this stuff

give it from beginning to halfway flower

This is miracle in my grow.
My best grow was always with this and mycchorzia.
No matter what. the ones without is thin normal .

I add this and i got 1 inch stems always. I do short time, this helps get faster results,
the light will be more expensive without this.

Better use this , it saves time, and energy. dont stress super light.
use some good extra , save time and money in the end. less light, better results, this save us and world

PEACE

Last edited:

Malato

You guys think if youre using a mix with actual soil(dirt mixed in with my compost) that this doesnt apply? Since there would certainly already be loads of silica. Or does the form of silica make a difference?