What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

maxibloom...cloudy res after 24 hours???

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
You got it! Super simple its almost to simple. Lol

I like to man handle my 5gal jugs too! Shake it like a salt shaka!

Also on how much i use is 1big scoop and 2 little scoops per 5gal jug of maxibloom:) i recommend putting it in a tupperware container to help keep moisture out.

Last edited:

yesucan

Precipitation of Mg,Ca, and Fe as PO4 salts when heat is involved

Precipitation of Mg,Ca, and Fe as PO4 salts when heat is involved

The Mg, Ca, and Fe in maxibloom are in a meta-stable soluble state when dissolved in cold water. The concentrated hot dilution method does not and will not ever work since it provides the activation energy to form the insoluble Ca3(PO4)2 (Ksp=2.07x10^-33), Mg3(PO4)2 (Ksp=1.04x10-24), and FePO4(Ksp=9.91x10-16). The solubility constant (Ksp) defines the thermodynamics governing the solubility of a particular salt. Thus calcium has the lowest solubility next is magnesium finally iron phosphate happens to be a little more soluble. Heat is what provides the activation energy to form these highly insoluble salts which are practically impossible to redissolve. so we should all be in agreement that best practice is not to heat maxibloom. I think 50 ppm calcium is recommended for plants which comes to 1.25x10-3 M. If you heat maxi the max conc of calcium at equilibrium would be 4.9x10-7 M. This is 0.039% of recommended Ca similar levels for Mg and Fe would precipitate the deficiencies. Aged maxibloom that turns hard in solid form is forming these product thus the insolubles. This is probably why is not good to use old wet maxi. Keep in a sealed contain since the reseal ziplock on the bag is shite.

Interesting facts.

I Did two runs with Maxi and... heated my water to almost boil.

GREW SOME BOMB ERB MY MAN! Yield was alright too!

Not trying to discredit by any means, just interesting.

Hidyn

Interesting thread, glad I read it cause I just picked up some maxi myself today. I was going to mix it separate, but after learning a bit about the chemistry of concentration, I think I'll try just adding it to my res.

Good info! :)

tentgrower

I know this is an ancient thread, but it just helped me solve my precipitate problem in my 30 gallon reservoir. I've been using maxi for over a year now, and have been mixing my reservoirs the day of use in my water to waste hydro garden because I kept forming precipitate if I attempted to mix up a full 30 gallon reservoir and use it throughout the week. Typically the next day little strands of precipitate that almost looked like broken off roots in a cloner are everywhere in the water. I always use hot water which seems to be the culprit. I'll be dumping what's left in my flower reservoir today for a refill and I'll report back results using cold water to mix the maxi.

Back from the dead baby! Love this thread!

tentgrower

I know this is an ancient thread, but it just helped me solve my precipitate problem in my 30 gallon reservoir. I've been using maxi for over a year now, and have been mixing my reservoirs the day of use in my water to waste hydro garden because I kept forming precipitate if I attempted to mix up a full 30 gallon reservoir and use it throughout the week. Typically the next day little strands of precipitate that almost looked like broken off roots in a cloner are everywhere in the water. I always use hot water which seems to be the culprit. I'll be dumping what's left in my flower reservoir today for a refill and I'll report back results using cold water to mix the maxi.

Back from the dead baby! Love this thread!

Just to update this last post the maxi still caused precipitate. I gave up. Switched to Jack's 3-2-1 with 5-12-26, calcium nitrate, and epsom salts. Best tasting hydro I've ever grown! Reservoirs stable for 8 days. Not even a tenth of a point of movement in PH over the course of 8 days. Fuck general hydroponics in their reservoir precipitating assholes. Love me some jack's! :)

shambler

im not sure on this, but if all your liquid fertilizers are part a & b. And maxibloom is one part (probably can get away with it because its powder) then you shouldn't mix it in concentration. I just add it to my 55gal. res. with an air stone and its good in less than an hour.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Maxibloom and Maxigrow need to be stored in airtight/watertight containers. Unless this is done (Including not zipping up a plastic zipper bag all the way every time) it will absorb moisture from the air and form insolubles. Cleaner water produces better results.

I love having a magdrive pump and some hose specifically for mixing nutrients. I check, dump, turn on the pump, finish other tasks and switch the pump off. Now I need a timer so I can walk away if I need to. :)

BillFarthing

Veteran
MaxiBloom is intended to be mixed with cold water. You are probably creating a calcium sulfate precipitate by using hot water.

Latest posts

Latest posts