What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ratio of nutes

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I have fish bone meal, fish meal, kelp meal, and ewc. What ratio of these items would be good overall? In percent or fractions of overall total. I am in veg but really want just a simple ratio that would work for flower too. I am growing in a coco, peat moss, compost type of soil or medium. Kings Mix Royal Gold if that matters. thanks

49th

Get a soil test so you know for sure or just add fractions of recommended amounts since no one really knows exactly what you're starting with and what your soil may need. Actually, you did list an exact mix so that probably could help someone give you better advice.

Kings Mix ingredients: Coco fiber, aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, coco chips, feather meal, fish bone meal, gypsum, dolomite (PH adjuster), basalt, bat guano.

Just heir on the side of caution cause you can overdo it in organics too of course. Can always add more etc.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Thanks. I just want a rough estimate in ratio and will accept the results. I have had the plants in the lightly fertilized soil for a month or so and figure it is almost depleted. Some of the plants need N it looks. I will be using a light top dressing and watering in. Check the plants after a week and do more if they are not thriving.

troutman

Seed Whore
I only use nutrient labels as a guide these days and tend to use a little less of each cause I mix all kinds together.
Just keep an eye on the leaves and you'll know if you're doing fine. Feeding less is better than overfeeding.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Testing your soil is all about making sure the nutrients are balanced. Measuring the pH of soil gives you an idea of how available the nutrients are, while EC clues you into how much is actually there. Remember that EC is good at giving a measurement of the strength of the ions in the soil. This helps you to track the nutrients that are available to your plants. Test everything as you go, and you will learn what the plants do best with. 😎

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No ratios yet, maybe I will just see what I can find elsewhere on this. I am not doing soil tests or anything like that. This is not a science project, I just want to dump a bit of common organic nutes on some fairly neutral media.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I came up with 3 parts fishmeal, 3 parts fishbone meal and 1 part kelp meal. Also they included dolomite lime at 1 part for calcium and magnesium. Google for the win.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never get any useful info on nutes or soil mixes in this forum. Organics section is really bad on that. Not sure why simple questions are so hard to get answers to here.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I never get any useful info on nutes or soil mixes in this forum. Organics section is really bad on that. Not sure why simple questions are so hard to get answers to here.

Sorry, I think that's because telling someone what to put in soil without knowing their chemistry would be irresponsible. No one wants to give bad advice and that would be what they would be doing if someone told you wrong without knowing more. If you follow the soil recipes on the organic forum you could get some good answers. There's a huge amount of info if you look. There's a big difference between soil amendments and liquid fertilizers. 😎

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I could see that being true with liquid nutes but what I asked here and on the organics section was not critical in ratios or amount. I mentioned using ffof and amending it over at organics, dead silence. I will not post again and am not mad about it, just seemed strange and still does. I have looked at the info, why would you assume otherwise?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When you amend your soil you have to allow time for the amendments to be broken down by the microbe populations. Most amended soils have been allowed to cook so to speak for 30 to 180 days before using. The microbe breaks down the amendments into nutrients the plant can use and that's the only way a plant can use those amendments. If you put something in the soil that doesn't have enough time to break down it would be a waste. You may like this book it's a good one. https://stuffstonerslike.com/the-rev-chats-about-his-new-book-true-living-organics/ Happy gardening😎

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good point on letting the soil amendments cook for a bit. I did read that some time ago, but stoner minds forget, hehe. I have happy flowering plants now with the amendments being applied right before flower, so not sure how critical all the timing is. People apply teas all thru the plants life span, maybe the teas are broken down better than just powder as top dress.