What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When do you give new plants nutrients?

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
When do you give new plants nutrients? I have always give them a little bit as they were small and give them more has they got bigger. I always had good luck. But I didn't really know.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It kind of depends on several variables such as what medium you're growing in (soil, hydro, coco, etc.) are you starting from seed or clone or how long your veg cycle is going to be. Now I've only grown in soil so I can only speak to that and I usually tried to give them at least 2 months of veg. Now starting off for the very initial period of going from seed to seedling the plant has pretty much all it needs contained in the seed. Also most soils people use have some degree of nutrients contained in them, some more then others. I typically used potting soil with nutrients already in it that was something like Miracle Grow Potting Soil. (I say something like it because I didn't actually care for Miracle Grow Soil and usually looked for a more organic equivalent). So growing in enriched potting soil from seed I would wait until the plant showed signs of nutrient deficiency the more common sign being nitrogen deficiency in newer growth. This would typically happen around week 3 to week 4. Then I would start with a light feeding and work up to a full feeding from there.

Now if you're starting from clone then they'll typically need nutrients sooner because you're work with a more mature and developed plant compared to a seedling and so you might have to start feeding around week 2 to 3 instead of week 3 to 4 but ultimately it's the same, you wait for the plant to show signs it is no longer getting all it needs from the soil.

For Hydro or Coco I would imagine you start feeding them almost immediately since the medium you're growing in doesn't come pre-loaded with nutrients. Again since I've never grown in those mediums I can only guess but there may be special formulations for young plants vs older ones. In any case you're going to want a formula that is dominated by nitrogen for the veg phase which is usually listed as a "grow" formula as opposed to a Bloom formula which is meant for the flowering stage where nitrogen is less important and phosphorus and potassium are the more dominant components.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Most store bought bag potting soils will have about a 6 week charge of nutrients in them. However, the plants will tell you when they are ready for nutrients. 😎

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
In coco - and both times I grew in udwc hydro - I always start with very dilute grow nutes - 20% or so - around day 3 from placement in the media. With a bit of cal/mag as well due to the LEDs.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
I am doing them LED, hydro in rock wool. And there in clay pellets. So I will do as I do give them some food . Thanks HempKat.Creeperpark. and Tobedetermined

Koondense

Veteran
Usually after 3-4 weeks some basic veg feed but every time before transplant i charge them with cal and mg.

Cheers

Ghostwolf

Veteran
All plants are doing good. I haven't given them nutrients, yet will soon. They are two Black Widow, and two Super Silver Haze. Thank you everybody