What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EC or PPM. Lets make a real difference

G

EC will never catch on, for the same reason 3rd world countries use Celsius.A tenth of some arbitrary intangible number is not accurate or helpful to the thinking mind, only to a computer. 30 degrees is oh somewhere between 70 and 90 degrees. 60 degrees somewhere between 80 and 100. Same with EC. 0.1 is somewhere around x ppm give or take a few hundred ppm. It's like if the smallest dose of heroin was a gram, give or take half a gram.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
What's going on ere ? lol

EC doesn't have to catch on. It's not new, it's what we are all measuring. The unit is micro siemens. Often abreviated to uS. 0.1ec is 100 uS simplified, as we don't need that kind of resolution.

In a lab, they use uS.
In horticulture, we make it easier and round off to an ec value. No unit given. It's close enough.

Some, like myself, feel writing 0.1 is still too much. We just write 1. If it's 1.4 I just write 14. I work a scale 0-28 not 0.1 - 2.8 and it's recognised as CF not EC. I just convert to EC as that's the de-facto standard in horticulture. PPM isn't a standard measurement as it can't be measured. Though calculating it is very important once you are growing at an advanced level.

PPM is a rabbit hole that needs filling in. It seems to be acting like a black hole, sucking more and more people into it though. Moving from Centigrade to before foreignheight.

I quite like foreignheight. Zero is when the oceans freeze over, so is very important to sailors. While 100 is when you take your t-shirt off, which is very important to a different type of sailor. One equally as interested in conversions :)