What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

re potting question

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Most people will re pot just before flipping.

I've only re potted a few times when I had started plants as a micro grow and had the plant outgrow the box, or was so impressed with the plant I decided to let em go and see what they will do. I've never seen any adverse effects.

But any grower will tell you that anything you do that stresses the plant during flower increases the risk of hermies.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah repotting in flower is't recommended...although the first 2-3 weeks are quite safe to stress'm a little.....how far are you 'in' actually?

edit
ohw yea you are the one with the ak .....9 weeks in i think it was ??
if so DO NOT REPOT THEM !!!!!!! ....lol

jjs

yeah repotting in flower is't recommended...although the first 2-3 weeks are quite safe to stress'm a little.....how far are you 'in' actually?

edit
ohw yea you are the one with the ak .....9 weeks in i think it was ??
if so DO NOT REPOT THEM !!!!!!! ....lol

Hi thanks for the feedback , and yeah im the one with the ak but not going to re pot that one lol , it was another clone ive had in flower for 3 weeks which I was inquiring about.

:thank you:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aaaah ok then ...as said before you can do it in the early stages but how further you are in the more danger you have stressing the plant...i would say yes but there will be many to disagree with this....@ then end its your call

jjs

aaaah ok then ...as said before you can do it in the early stages but how further you are in the more danger you have stressing the plant...i would say yes but there will be many to disagree with this....@ then end its your call

what would happen if I left it in the small pot for like another 11 weeks?

:tiphat:

Attachments

• SAM_0738.jpg
    SAM_0738.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 13

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Hell that thing is just barely even starting to flower, Wouldn't hurt a thing to repot her if you have the room.
I'm assuming that is why you want to repot? To increase her size and yield? Cause she will stretch out some and probably won't finish in the 11 weeks. Repotting will kinda reset her primary growth cycle and she'll go through a root growth spurt which kinda stunts the vegetative and bud growth until they begin to fill the pot. Then she will have a vegetative and bud growth spurt.
You might even have to adjust nutrients a little to compensate for the switch up.

G

guest 77721

Repotting doesn't cause stress on the plant unless you damage it somehow in the process. All you are doing is giving it access to more water and nutrients.

I repot several times through the grow cycle and the plant always responds with a growth spurt.

The thing is to keep track on your watering cycles and repot when daily watering is needed. The water cycle is usually 4-5 days after repotting.

I generally wait until the plant is ready to go into flowering and is rootbound in the size below my flowering pot size. I repot and flip into flowering. This lets the plant stretch into the new pot with both top and root growth during weeks 1-3.

I will also repot in flowering as I did on this grow to extend my water cycle because I was going out of town for a few days. Once the plant settles down into bud development, there is little root growth. I wouldn't recommend repotting past week 4.

RudeDog

Veteran
Yo RedGreenry....do you find the roots fill the entire final pot if you flip staight away after a repot? Seems like a waste of medium if the roots aren't filling the pot.

I usually repot to final pot, give the plant another week of veg & then flip.

cheers
RD

G

guest 77721

I always do a rootball forensics after harvest to see if the plants are on track. I've only had one incident of underdeveloped roots that was caused by overwatering. I had one big plant and one small one and was watering them both together.

If you have your water cycles under control and have the plant slightly rootbound before repotting, the roots will fill into the pot nicely.

If you have underdeveloped roots, that's more of an indication of overwatering caused by the grower or by a poor draining soil mix. The roots grow to find water so it's necessary to let the soil dry out. Soggy conditions will stunt root development.

Most new growers want to pamper thier plants and will try to water daily. I stick my finger down to the second knuckle at the edge of the pot. If I can find moisture, the plants can usually go one more day sometimes two.

When I do repot, I will let the plants go as long as possible to get the new water cycle established.