What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Crappy Mothers Make Crappy Clones?

jjs

Hi ive got a question regarding a plant that hasn't shown it's sex yet though do think it might be a female , it looks pretty skinny however my question is by making a clone will it replicate it's skinny ass mother?

Cheers

JJ's
:tiphat:

supaleeb

It might just be skinny because it hasn't reached sexual maturity yet. But, either way, clones are genetic replicas of the mother they are taken from, so, yes, is possible.

G

greenmatter

it's a clone, it's a genetic replica, that does not mean that topping,LST or something like super cropping won't make something skinny worth it. if it is bomb genetics play with it for a run or two. ya never know.

The better (health, thickness etc) the branch you cut, the better the clone will be (speed at which it will surpass the 'mother').

busty

Skinny is better than overly rigid (and brittle) stems in my book. If she's skinny because she's nute deficient you can always fix that after the clone is rooted... though cloning a deficient plant can be more challenging than if you got the mom healthy before cloning.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Technically it's not a clone. Clones are taken and grown starting at the cellular level in a medium, guaranteeing each plant is an identical genetic match. What we are doing is actually taking cutting. Is it cloning in the strict sense no, is it a genetic replication yes. True cloning is done in a laboratory. Not picking on anyone just straightening out some terms.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Well I realized that I didn't say that a poor or weak mother shouldn't be the first choice for taking cutting. But the genes are the same. Taking cuts from a poor plant may result in poor clones also. But at the same time there maybe that one cut that kicks ass and doesn't grow like mom MY 2 CENTS.

jjs

Thanks for your advice , I'm just being patient wait on my seedling to show it's sex , been 2 weeks and haven't seen any balls or pistils.

:thank you:

You have to wait till you reach maturity and then you will pre flower. It can some times look like a male, tall ,skinny but,be a female depends on how much sativa is in the variety.I like to start from clone because the plant is already mature.My rule of thumb is to let it grow large enough to take clones off of it this usually takes about a month or more