What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Dome question

jjs

Hi all , I have a question regarding humidity levels for using a clone dome. I am using a 40 watt desk lamp for my clones in a clone dome , my question is using a 40w enough to make it a ideal temperature for my clones?

Cheers
JJ's

:gday:

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
What are the temps outside the dome?

A 40w is not much of a heat source so i am doubting it will be enough. Remember that you want to constantly keep the clones root zone warm and humid. So that is why many people, such as myself, prefer to use a heating mat under the clones. It will keep the temps inside the dome warm (ideally 70-80f) and constant. Additionally it will create humidity if water is added to tray.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I agree with trich. The little heating mats are great. Be sure to get a thermostat for it or you could let 'em get too hot and dry everything out. Also be sure to remove the dome enough to allow a nice air exchange. Good luck!

Dubya

I agree. Also, 40w lamp is too much. You want weak light. If the leaves are getting too much it will try to grow rather than produce roots, resulting in a longer rooting time and also yellowing of the leaves. It will start feeding off of them to get energy to grow. Get yerself a heatmat.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I'd have to say that the 40w is not too much for rooting clones. I clone under a 250w T5 and have been for a couple of years with no problems at all. We get roots in 10 days on average.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Not yet:biggrin: Seriously...our clones do very well with rapid rooters soaked in a liquid karma (4tsp/gal) solution. The cuttings go in and are fed the same solution every day (around 1 tsp/day) and we get roots in 10 days. We worked with Olivia's at first and had decent results, but switched to LK and the root growth is major. The heat mat in the winter is critical and removing the dome every day is very important. We keep the vents closed on the dome and keep the mat regulated with a thermostat. Once it's dialed in, as long as there aren't many environmental swings, things go easily.

jjs

Hi again we are currently in summer and our room temperature is averaging between 77-86 F would this have a different outcome for the clones? Or would the heat pad be the way to go?

Cheers
JJ's

:thank you:

Noc

You definately don't need a heat mat with those temps. Also, when you say 40 watts, is that an incandescent bulb? If so, replace it with a low wattage cfl. You don't need any more heat, and incandescents put out more heat than light.

jjs

You definately don't need a heat mat with those temps. Also, when you say 40 watts, is that an incandescent bulb? If so, replace it with a low wattage cfl. You don't need any more heat, and incandescents put out more heat than light.

Hi yeah its a cfl thanks :thank you: