What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many weeks until ready?

How many weeks until ready?
I grow 12/12 from seed with 400W HPS.

Its lemon kush femaleseeds strain.

Attachments

• photo2078776.jpg
    photo2078776.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 45

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
What do the trichomes look like under a 60/100 loop?

From this vantage point, no (leaves have not started to turn). Nice plant though:)

bushed

Looks like a great first grow. It's hard for anyone to give you this information regarding readiness. Some people prefer to take plant's at the beginning of the harvest window others like to leave it till mostly amber. It's all about what your body chemistry responds to, what you prefer.

That been said I would say at least 2 weeks, look for the majority of hairs to have changed colour.

troutman

Seed Whore
Flowering time is 8 - 10 weeks according to their website.

Sometimes you need an extra week or two though.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Flowering time is 8 - 10 weeks according to their website.

Sometimes you need an extra week or two though.

... but he is starting under 12/12, you have to consider the vegetative phase, no? I found that if one veges for 6-8 weeks (which I do) their numbers are pretty darn close. Buddy never told us how long his girl as been growing, so anything we say is pure speculation, unless he provides us with more data, to make an "educated guess" :)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Generally speaking on indicas and hybrids you're look at a minimum of 9 weeks of 12/12 so subtract the number of weeks you've been growing from 9 weeks and you'll have a fair approximation of how much longer they'll need to go. Now mind you, this is just to get you into the ballpark strains vary from one to the next and even the same strain but from different breeders can vary. Once you get to about the last week or so then for a precise point to harvest that's when you want to pull out your magnifying device and start judging by how the trichomes look. Unfortunately what the trichomes should be for a perfect harvest comes down to personal preference and so nobody but you can determine that. Beginners though generally shoot for a 50/50 mix of amber/cloudy trichomes.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
100% correct. There is a lot of controversy wrt growing at 12/12 from the start. I don't recall the entirety of the discussion but, suffice to say, it wasn't worth it, hence why I dismissed the technique.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
You'll have to wait 'n see ...... it isn't 'done' until the trichs have turned cloudy with some amber. :)

bushed

100% correct. There is a lot of controversy wrt growing at 12/12 from the start. I don't recall the entirety of the discussion but, suffice to say, it wasn't worth it, hence why I dismissed the technique.

12/12 method works fine for certain situations, it's the fastest way to get some smoke if no access to cuts, with high plant counts grown SOG can yield fine.

I think the controversy comes from the plants still needing to reach sexual maturity, with mature plants you can start the countdown from the flip, 12/12 you have to wait until preflower.

These days I prefer to grow trees, but would not hesitate to go this route again if the situation called for it

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
12/12 method works fine for certain situations, it's the fastest way to get some smoke if no access to cuts, with high plant counts grown SOG can yield fine.

I think the controversy comes from the plants still needing to reach sexual maturity, with mature plants you can start the countdown from the flip, 12/12 you have to wait until preflower.

These days I prefer to grow trees, but would not hesitate to go this route again if the situation called for it
Am I correct to interpret, if he grows them IAW mfr specs, that being under 12/12 results in a reduced flowering period? For those limited to grow only 4 plants, this is simply not suitable for me.

HempKat

Veteran

I don't remember much details of past discussions of this technique but from what I saw the most viable candidate for that method was somebody working with very limited grow space and the idea being the stretch phase would bring the plant up to a reasonable height. Of course it would also be suitable for anyone who was so desperate to get weed they would be willing to sacrifice yield for speed. I don't recall seeing this discussed but it would also seem to only be practical when working with feminized seed only. I mean you could pull it off with regular seed but there would be a risk of it not meeting your goals if too many of the seedlings ended up being male.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I don't remember much details of pass discussion of this technique but from what I saw the most viable candidate for that method was somebody working with very limited grow space and the idea being the stretch phase would bring the plant up to a reasonable height. Of course it would also be suitable for anyone who was so desperate to get weed they would be willing to sacrifice yield for speed. I don't recall seeing this discussed but it would also seem to only be practical when working with feminized seed only. I mean you could pull it off with regular seed but there would be a risk of it not meeting your goals if too many of the seedlings ended up being male.

ICmag is not my only source for info re: haven't seen a discussion.

bushed

Am I correct to interpret, if he grows them IAW mfr specs, that being under 12/12 results in a reduced flowering period? For those limited to grow only 4 plants, this is simply not suitable for me.

not reduced flowering time just quicker overall without weeks of veg time. Agreed this method is not suitable for people staying under a legal plant count.

HempKat You are correct in your assumptions. I utilized this method in my rental apartment in a closet, an necessity of this situation was to have the cycle complete and packed away between 3 monthly inspections. Yes the plants stretch upwards of a metre when crambed in tightly. Speed is the most important factor, but plants grown in this way yield surprising well, focusing all the energy into 1 top, I was able to hit the 1gpw, not bad considering no energy put into veg time. Femanised would be ideal if seeds are cheap and easily available. I used to start 30 seeds with the goal of having 15 flowering under my 250w.

​​​​​​@switcher56 there is a very long thread here on icmag about growing 12/12 from seed. The general consensus is that if you can grow bigger plants with a proper veg than do so but don't discount this methods usefulness.

HempKat

Veteran
HempKat ...I used to start 30 seeds with the goal of having 15 flowering under my 250w.

That had to have been kind of frustrating but given your circumstances you didn't have too many alternatives. Either put up with waiting for them to sex or don't grow which isn't really a choice.

HempKat

Veteran
ICmag is not my only source for info re: haven't seen a discussion.

I never said it was nor is ICMag my only source, I've been growing off and on since before the internet was available to the public. I'm a bit confused though, in the post I quoted before you said you didn't recall the entirety of the discussion, which would imply there was a discussion that you saw. Here in this more recent post I quoted you say "haven't seen a discussion". Anyway it doesn't matter because I've seen this discussion here, I saw it on Overgrow and I saw it on Planet Ganja. I only quoted you to address your statement that it wasn't worth it. In the discussions I saw, there were many who would share your opinion but there were many who felt it was worth it due to their limited time and/or space. It hasn't been mentioned yet but a number of those that felt it was worth it were those growing Sativas but couldn't or didn't want to go thru a proper veg cycle and an extended flowering cycle nor wanted to deal with the typical height of a full and properly grown Sativa.

Mind you, none of that is to say your take on it is invalid and you are well within your rights to dismiss any technique you feel isn't worth it. That's one of the great things about our community, we've uncovered a wide variety of methods, techniques and strategies to suit a wide variety of needs.

Latest posts

Latest posts