What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to find out of Male or Female

sprinklememayne

First time grower here, I think that this plant is female, but was wondering if a) I am too early and impatient b) if it is looking male.

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 45

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It's looking female to me in IMG_7104 and IMG_7105 but I am not seeing indisputable proof yet. IMG_7103 comes in as blank for me. At 5 weeks they should be showing for sure but I've had and seen plants that take longer. You should have conclusive proof at the site you're focusing on in IMG_7104 in a another few day to 2 weeks, just keep checking there until you can clearly see pistils. In IMG_7105 it kind of looks like I'm seeing pistil but I've been fooled before by growth at the tops of plants like that. I'd say it's like 90% sure to be female since I'm not seeing any clear pistils showing up. The shape of the small growth you're focusing on in IMG_7104 looks right for female but it's not showing pistil yet.

Cvh

Supermod
I can't say based on these pictures. It's too early.
Have you switched to 12/12 yet?

Amynamous

Click image for larger version  Name:	A87AD274-6F46-42E9-A11C-B134CCF3B8BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	17904940 Click image for larger version  Name:	FB76C783-9A1D-4BA6-9B02-F0D6F1673D74.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	17904941

Here’s a few pics of what boys will look like in pre-flowering.
Took these yesterday and chopped him down.
broke my heart.

I agree with Hempkat…you probably have a girl.
Congratulations!

Click image for larger version  Name:	A87AD274-6F46-42E9-A11C-B134CCF3B8BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	17904940 Click image for larger version  Name:	A87AD274-6F46-42E9-A11C-B134CCF3B8BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	17904940

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

PolyChucker

It’s a good idea to watch preflowers and try to call it early and keep watching it.
Female preflowers are conical and point up.
male preflowers are rounder, and come out horizontally and then hang down.
I don’t call it until I see the pistils. Earliest I have seen are at 7wks.
I have seen plants with a female looking preflower, minus the pistil, that eventually get rounder and flop over and turn into male flowers. That’s why it’s fun to try and call it early because a percent will seem to change - I’m always suspicious of these.

also - you have one seed? - is it from a bag aka bagseed? It’s most likely female or herm from self pollination. Not that many growers in my area have males at all.

sprinklememayne

Thank you everyone for your help with this! The more and more I look at it, i can start to see pistils which is exciting. I had two other plants from the same genetics that were male, and it was sad to have to get rid of them. The seeds were from someone who I had been connecting with online, and they sent me a bunch of regular pennywise x bay 11 seeds, and 1/3 were female, which is not too bad. I have another female ISS from federation seeds, which is really coming along, very nervous when i fimmed it, but it seems to be bouncing back.

JDubsocal

Use the male for tincture, balms, butter. Nothing wrong with a hacked male.

Another fact from the Automeister! I made butter last year from a male (after I cloned it for breeding) and the cookies from that butter are great! Never waste!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the past, way past B.C - 1900's, male hemp was made into rope (and other....paper, sails, cloth, etc.). My dad had hemp rope until synthetic plastic materials came on the scene.

Tom Hill

Veteran
If you are running long hours lets say 18/6 it may take some 8 weeks to show sex. At 15/9 it takes abot 6 weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts