What's new

Weak stem, what can i do?

baffe

Hey guys

My plant is looking healthy growing in my tent now but i am a little worried about the weak ass stem it has due to being growed on a windowpane the first part of its life. What can i do about the stem?
Foto 2021-07-07 11 05 18.jpg

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
do you have any ventilator that mimics the wind ? it will stimulate the stems and branches

Cuddles

What whipedmeat said :)

it doesn´t look that bad imo. The stem will grow and get stronger eventually as the plant goes on. With that said, some strains just have thicker strains than others... wich one are you growing ?

baffe

Yes, i have a clip-on fan that is attached to one of the poles in the tent and its a little above the plant blowing down on it so the plant is moving all the time. It has been growing in the tent since monday so i think i just have to relax and let mothernature do its thing :)

baffe

What whipedmeat said :)

it doesn´t look that bad imo. The stem will grow and get stronger eventually as the plant goes on. With that said, some strains just have thicker strains than others... wich one are you growing ?

This is actually a mysteryseed hehe, my friend got some seeds from the supplier and started to grow on the windowpane and then i got the plant. It has a strong smell of lemon so according the the flavorwheel https://shop.greenhouseseeds.nl/flavor-wheel/ it should be either Super lemon haze, Damn sour or Lemon skunk but as i said its a mystery so far :)

Cuddles

a lemon scent at only this stage - WOW that sounds lovely actually :) I wouldn´t worry too much about the stem at this stage,like I said. But maybe ther´s others who have other tips too.
SOmetimes a stem can go thicker and stronger when the branches are trimmed a little but I would personally wait a little before trying this .

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I like their Lemon Skunk. I have done it a few times. I don't think that could be it.
Of the 3 choices, my money is on the haze.

baffe

Well to my novice nose it has a sweet lemon scent, its very nice fragrant so its not disturbing at all and that is good because where im at its sooo moisty now and i need to have the tent open for it to be a healthy enviroment for my girl (hopefully girl?!?) :)

The enviroment is now:
25-27C
60-70% Humidity

is that ok during this very moisty short period? I think July and then the weather will get drier.

Brother Nature

Where are you at in it's growth stage? If you're still a few weeks away from flowering, I don't see an issue at all. Even if you're in flower It's probably not an issue, some of the dankest strains I've grown or seen grown have floppy overweight heads that the stems can't handle, think trainwreck or any sativa dominant hybrid. If you've got a good root mass that little stem will just build over time.

baffe

Where are you at in it's growth stage? If you're still a few weeks away from flowering, I don't see an issue at all. Even if you're in flower It's probably not an issue, some of the dankest strains I've grown or seen grown have floppy overweight heads that the stems can't handle, think trainwreck or any sativa dominant hybrid. If you've got a good root mass that little stem will just build over time.

The thing is that i cant say for sure where it is in the vegphase since i havent grown it since seed. I know that it had been growing like 3-4 weeks when i got it and it was sooo stretchy, it had stood on a windowpane stretching for the sun so i had to cut it down. I think it was 6 branchlevels not including the top of the stem so i cut it down a few levels before i transplanted it to a bigger pot. When i did that i saw that the roots were all over on the outside of the soil so i know it has a real good rootsystem. I have been doing a diary now since monday this week and will keep on every day.

You want to see the pistills first before flipping to flowerphase right? And if i have understood it right you can have a plant in vegphase for as long as you like?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I would want 60-70% for that. It's just right. Maybe a little cool though. My plants seem to like 30c. A little above the 28c expectation for an LED grow. Perhaps at 25c it is a little humid. Which may be linked to some elongation.

Got much light over it?

Brother Nature

The thing is that i cant say for sure where it is in the vegphase since i havent grown it since seed. I know that it had been growing like 3-4 weeks when i got it and it was sooo stretchy, it had stood on a windowpane stretching for the sun so i had to cut it down. I think it was 6 branchlevels not including the top of the stem so i cut it down a few levels before i transplanted it to a bigger pot. When i did that i saw that the roots were all over on the outside of the soil so i know it has a real good rootsystem. I have been doing a diary now since monday this week and will keep on every day.

You want to see the pistills first before flipping to flowerphase right? And if i have understood it right you can have a plant in vegphase for as long as you like?

Ah ok man, that makes sense then. If it's been in a window sill it's probably not gotten the same amount of direct light it would have under lights so there'll be a fair bit of stretch involved leading to slimmer stems. Trimming back an already unhealthy plant will also lead to recovery times in veg that take longer than if you trimmed back a healthy vigorous plant. My advice would be to try to grow it the best you can and if that doesn't happen at least you've kept a journal and can try something different the next time. And you've still got something smokeable that's free. Try to keep in mind growing is a process, nearly no one gets it right the first few tries. I've been growing 12+ years and am still learning and fucking things up, it's a process, learn to flow with it and learn from it, that'll make you a better grower.

baffe

I would want 60-70% for that. It's just right. Maybe a little cool though. My plants seem to like 30c. A little above the 28c expectation for an LED grow. Perhaps at 25c it is a little humid. Which may be linked to some elongation.

Got much light over it?

Ok that is excellent to hear! I had the tent closed between monday to tuesday and when i opened it on tuesday the moist was dripping from the walls so i thought i had nearly killed it hehe. It was at that time 30c and like 80% humidity. As for light i have a TGL-Star 60 LED and its like 50-60cm above the plant. I am trying to run this by the book since its my first go so im keeping a journal and picking up information everywhere and will as time goes filter it to my own liking and experience.

baffe

Ah ok man, that makes sense then. If it's been in a window sill it's probably not gotten the same amount of direct light it would have under lights so there'll be a fair bit of stretch involved leading to slimmer stems. Trimming back an already unhealthy plant will also lead to recovery times in veg that take longer than if you trimmed back a healthy vigorous plant. My advice would be to try to grow it the best you can and if that doesn't happen at least you've kept a journal and can try something different the next time. And you've still got something smokeable that's free. Try to keep in mind growing is a process, nearly no one gets it right the first few tries. I've been growing 12+ years and am still learning and fucking things up, it's a process, learn to flow with it and learn from it, that'll make you a better grower.

Exactly my thoughts also! I feel like when you had your first baby and watching over it all the time and checking when it sleeps and so on hehe. I just have to relax and let nature do its thing but same as having the first baby its hard to to do.

Brother Nature

Haha, At least you're in one of the best places to learn man. Keep asking questions, keep emulating growers you like, and keep taking notes. There's a wealth of incredible information here, just keep at it and you'll be growing that AAA soon. Seeing as you're responding pretty quick, I hope you're with us down in the southern hemisphere and not as cold as I am here.

Growenhaft

do you have any ventilator that mimics the wind ? it will stimulate the stems and branches

HI

now i'm pretty sure that wind has nothing to do with the thickness of the trunk of our plants.

we have tested this several times. With strong wind against simple room air circulation to distribute the Co² from the air, without visible air movement on the plants ... under the same other conditions ... all trunks were the same thickness until the beginning of flowering ... no differences.

The reason for this lies in the architecture of our plants.
As a plant that can be assigned to the category of one-year plants, they have a hollow stem and no support roots. All roots of cannabis have the task of anchoring and interacting with the medium in order to absorb water with nutrients.

Because of this, the trunk is very flexible ... and also builds up very strong phasers. Only when the head weight of the plant increases ... be it as with fiber hemp through high altitudes ... or our cannabis through an increase in fruit heads ... the plant begins to fill the hollow stems more and more densely with pulp. We see this in our plant with the increase in the calcium requirement in the flowering weeks 2-5 ... depending on the strain.

But you can also see it for yourself. take one stalk in the lower area during vegitation ... and the opposite one in flowering week 5 ... look at the cave stalks ... the second will have significantly more pith than the first.

By filling it up with pith, the plant protects itself from the wind ... because the head weight increases more and more in the flower ... and a filled pipe does not kink as easily as a hollow pipe.

With perennial plants this is different ... how does it look?
When a tree sways in the wind he tries to hold up forcefully at the compressed point and to build up tensile force on the opposite side... this promotes the growth in thickness.
The decisive factor for this are the support roots

In our tests, we have found that, in addition to light, nitrogen and its silicates are the tools that are used to build strong trunk growth quickly ... as long as the wind is sufficient for the air mixture under the leaf to exchange ... it does not play a role.

baffe

Haha, At least you're in one of the best places to learn man. Keep asking questions, keep emulating growers you like, and keep taking notes. There's a wealth of incredible information here, just keep at it and you'll be growing that AAA soon. Seeing as you're responding pretty quick, I hope you're with us down in the southern hemisphere and not as cold as I am here.

Working from home, vacation coming up so have more time to hang here :) and yes i am so glad i found this forum, its amazing and the support from you all oldtimers is heartwarming to a newbie like me. I am in the Nordic countries but right now its so warm and moisty that it could be the Amazons hehe. Are you located on the North Pole man? haha

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i disagree with it, it has effect on plants growing habits. (good air-circulation also mimics wind)

plus don t forget this plant started its life on a windowshelf, not enough lights, not enough aircirculation, not enough humidity--- you can t compare it to plants with optimal conditions.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Interesting light. A 50w cob in short. They might be over estimating it, saying 4 per meter. 200w per meter is very low. Veg spec of 60x60 is just 12w per foot. That is barely enough. I go that low if I'm just keeping them going, as I'm not ready for them yet. It's possible the plants trying to find more light. We see a lot of people use too much, and grow very squat plants. You might want to lower it a bit.
It's a shame the 'light meter' apps are so poor. Perhaps another cob user will come forward with regard to height. I have had plants very close to 50s

Growenhaft

Ich stimme dem nicht zu, es hat Auswirkungen auf die Wachstumsgewohnheiten der Pflanzen.

Do you have any arguments for this?
Or does it stick to the assertion because it is written that way in one book or another?

Latest posts

Latest posts